Let's face it....

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by AutobotMarine, Oct 2, 2008.

1. AutobotMarine

AutobotMarine Banned

Ebay:
    Now I know I've been negative about TF Animated in the past, but this has gone a bit too far....

After watching that puke-like abomination they made Jetfire into, I'm convinced that Transformers Animated is going to suck around at season 3 or so. For starters, I never thought Animated was worthy enough to be as good or better than Beast Wars, Galaxy Force, or Generation 1. Animated just dosen't have the soul or heart or even the exhilaration-feel that the previous series had, or that Beast Wars had. I really don't care what some fanboys think, but Galaxy Force was probably one of the best series since Beast Wars. Animated isn't as good, not at all.

I bought Animated Jazz around a month ago, and I think it's about time that Animated will reach it's "crap" point. I'm a huge fan of Transformers, always has, always will. Us as people also need to face the reality about the franchise in itself as another indication or prediction that Animated will get screwed over by Cartoon Network. One of friends, who can see the future... no really, 90% of the things he has said happen to be true, and many things that have happened turned out to be true (not all of them). He predicts that Animated will reach its crap tenure at around season 3, and may become almost as bad as Energon, until the very last episode.

Since those rumors of Galvatron, Hot Shot, and Rodimus may not be true, I'm kinda dissapointed with Animated... with that and some of the toys. I do research in detail, people are not buying the toys. The toys are a product of the TV series in itself, if the TV show dosen't do well, neither will the toys. Fan and kida alike are more interested in purchasing stuff from the TF1 or Universe 2.0 than of Animated, look at the sales. A few days ago, I actually walked to Wal-Mart (since I live less than 1 block away from my local Wal-Mart). It's literally overstocked with all stuff Animated, from Grimlock, to Soundwave, to Oilslick, to Lockdown. THEY'RE NOT SELLING!!! Now I've never been huge on "predictions", but this does seem to be coming true.

I've seen it. Hasbro are putting out stuff just to try to save this series, 2.2 to 2.4 million people watch Animated. That is not what I considered a "high" rating. A "high" rating is around 15 to 20 million people, people are not buying much from this series simply there isn't enough exposure. Many people just like cause it's like "G1". No, it's a carbon copy of G1. It's not Generation 1 in its whole self, it's not better than G1. And DEFINTELY not better than Beast Wars. Besides, why must everything must be just like G1 for some people to accept it? Why can't it be like Beast Wars, Armada, or Cybertron? I didn't care for Armada, but that's not the point. Even Takara dosen't seem to be interested in doing Animated, they probably laughed their asses off at the drawings and the toys this series had produced. Yet another sign.

My mom even saw this show for the first time, she likes Transformers. She personally thought TF Animated was pure garbage, I can't honestly object to this. She's always told me to believe your inner and first intuition. My first intuition told me the first time I saw this, I thought it was crap. There isn't enough "accurate" info about Animated to keep me on my toes about it, I'm more interested in TF2 and any other future TF projects and series. Perhaps if Primus was mentioned a few times, if Jetfire didn't look so bad, and it Prime wasn't such a wimp. I'd be more interested in Animated. The only way I can see another good series is through creative fans (myself included), another anime, a series that is completely CGI or live action.

Until then, I'll be watching Revenge of the Fallen.

2. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

Ebay:

I'm sorry, your "point" was lost when you said "carbon copy of G1".

The same observation about Animated not selling could've been made back in the days when Wal-Mart got pallets of Energon product.

Personally, I've never seen Wal-mart as a good barometer for how well a Transformers toyline is doing when they get huge pallet displays of wave 1 stuff when other stores are receiving wave 3 and 4, again, going back to the Energon days.

and heaven help us if we get more anime drivel. Second half of Armada was watchable, Energon started sucking halway through and Cybertron was barely watchable in either language.

3. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    Galaxy force better than animated and on par with BW? I'm sorry, I just can't accept that statement.

Maybe you are rght about animated not doing as well as could be, specially with all the hype that surrounded tfs with the movie, but still I really like the shoy, I enjoy some toys, but for me it's only a phase the franchise is going through, and l hope that in the future we can get something more mature.

4. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    I'm feeling the same way, too.

Animated is losing its appeal due to lack of Season 3 not showing up or the disappointing news lately.
    Right now for Animated, I'm getting Leader Megs, Shockwave, Scrapper, and Wreck-Gar.

5. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    Well they sell very well in my area? Also I am a hardcore G1 fan and nothing will ever be G1 but I do like the show and I myself expect good things in season 3. I understand this is your view as a fellow fan but I cant agree with you.

6. Lockdown

Lockdown Bootey Hunter

News Credits:
    Well for me Animated is the 1st TF toon ive watched every ep (eagerly at that) since BW I watched a couple of eps of each of the 3 rescent anime toons and they were rubbish and everything ive heard from folks implies they didnt get any better.
    The toys sell well enough here sure they didnt sell as well as the movie toys did the 1st few months after the movie but thats hardly suprising.
    It also really amuses me when fans of the movie have the audacity to mention things like the maturity level of Animated....Animated doesnt take itself seriously so the humour and such is appropriate now compare that to the trainwreck that was the movie that tried to take itself sooooo seriously in sooo many ways yet threw in humour that simply didnt fit.

Im sorry but the movie was barely watchable and I doubt the sequel will be much better did it do well? Sure but what the hell does the interest of a bunch of people who had little to no interest in TFs prior to the movie and were pulled in by something that was so far removed from anything TF related (yep even taking into account the stylized designs in Animated they are still far more representative of TFs than the movie versions) that they really didnt become interested in transformers they liked bayformers. Tourists

Unfortunatly I do believe that Animated is getting shafted and I dont think its anything wrong with the concept it was simply implemented at a poor time I honestly believe if it had been released prior to the movie and didnt have to compete with it it would be considerably more successful.

Honestly you just come across as one of those folks who simply dislike Animated and would have liked a movie toon or something simlilar your also one of those folk that tries to use 'research' (so can you actually show us proof of your 'research') and the good old "My friends, mom, dad, uncle bob even reckons people I mean seriously do you honestly think that this somehow validates your opinion more? And my god you know someone who can predict the future with a 90% accuracy that must rock I guess you will never have to worry about anything then since all you have to do is consult your buddy and go with what he says and 9 out of 10 times you will be fine wow you and your buddy should take over the world....

7. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    The only drawback to animated is it filled such a void of cravings so many fans had that without new episodes to satiate us a backlash is occuring of us starting to hate it again simply from the lack of any new media to keep us hypnotized, this will all settle down as S3 hits. Isenberg has seriously proven how well he handles stories and underlying story arcs. The toys are all hasbro, but the Cartoon itself is in very well capable hands, do not worry. He has shown himself to be a master of multiage deep story driven web weaving within episodic natures of awesomeness once the ball gets rolling. And that ball was kicked. Hard. Just ask screamer, it was his head and he's still floating through space. So that ball is rolling hardcore now to cosmic levels of awesome.

I'm sorry while yes Generation 1 and beast wars are dear to my heart for the worlds they created, Animated is by far the best TF series we've had in awhile. It just doesn't have the episode count as yet to really give it the rank it deserves.

How anyone can compare it to galaxy force though, and claim galaxy force is superior is beyond me though.
    I like both don't get me wrong, but the rigid movements in Galaxy force made it hard to watch, whereas animated was long pure butter.

8. SilverDragon

SilverDragon YEAH TOAST!

News Credits:
    Until you said that you thought a 'high' rating was 15 to 20 million, I thought you had a point.

The thing is, Animated will never get that high a rating, because the population of children (and adults) who watch it is not that high in any one country. In my country, a rating of 15 to 20 million people watching one show is the entire flippin' population.

9. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    Well, animated is also selling extremely well to be frank, and the ratings of it are the highest for any transformers tv show. So they obviously are doing something right.

The only real issue is the amount of Animated BA's and Ratchets that seem to stockpile on store shelves whereas everyone else is selling like mad.

Even Sari is ranked as one of they most successful human characters ever. Though that's honestly not saying much in comparison, she's the first no fans have adamantly wanted to see die. >.>

I think the verdict is still out on if it 's fred or kicker that needs to be stepped on during autobot hopscotch.

10. muffinhunter

muffinhunter Well-Known Member

While the toys do leave a bit to be desired, I did like the box art of their combined mode, so I'm not even close to writing the show off yet.

11. muffinhunter

muffinhunter Well-Known Member

Also, it's worth noting what Derrick Wyatt had to say on his blog:

"I wouldn't rush to judgment on the Jetfire and Jetstorm figures yet. Those are some pretty terrible pictures that are out there right now. The pictures I saw way back of the grey prototypes looked really good. And yes, of course they have hands! In both robot modes! The promo pics are just mistransformed. Once they are properly transformed and posed out, they should look pretty cool."

12. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

If ya don't like it, don't watch it, that's what I do, works pretty well.

13. AutobotMarine

AutobotMarine Banned

Ebay:
    Did I just mention Wal-Mart? Apparently, I also go to Target (yes I live near there also). I see lots of Animated stuff there unsold, then again.... my local Target dosen't sell much. Secondly, what's wrong with Transformers being in anime? With the write writing and execution from such shows such as Gundam, another series done in anime could work out. Cybertron unwatchable? To your standard and opinion it is, but at least it has a decently-sized fanbase.

The movie Transformers took around 7 to 8 years to make, I'm actually surprised that Animated took 5 years to do. Wow, Hasbro must have REALLY dragged their time. I'm am artist, I design Transformers. The designs they make in Animated I can do in 2 hours. The story.. a couple of days, no lies.

And about Galaxy Force. Once again, it's your opinion. The same way people think G1 is the best thing ever, and nothing else can compare. Though my opinion is more reasonable, at least I didn't say the dub was on the same par as Beast Wars.

Barely anything regarding season 3 has came up, and those rumors could be fake. That's just what's killing the series, the suspense.

The movie was rubbish? Okay, I'm not going to argue over that, though you have to admit one thing. The movie took millions, many enjoyed it, every fan watched it. Plus, it took years to make, and I'm impressed to what they've made out of it.

I have to agree, Animated just isn't getting the proper exposure.... plus many other things that needs improvement. One is making the Autobots stronger in the faces of their enemy. Galaxy Force was "superior" due to the story, the heart behind it, plus it was elaborate. It's better than Beast Machines, RID, Armada, and definately better than Energon. Ask any average person and compare the two, they will think Animated is a piece of shit and would call any of the previous incarnations of the franchise far more superior. While I don't completely like Animated, I don't hate it either. People in this day of age want to see "bling bling", but I also want that plus a great story to tell also. Animated simply has good writing, the look of it isn't nearly as great as the anime versions we've received in the past.

Cartoon Network's reputation of screwing up cartoons has put them in the position they're in now. It's just a matter of time when Cartoon Network will go down hill faster, and Animated may get affected. After all, Hasbro did make a deal with this company to produce this series. I will be very surprised if the show becomes as successful as Beast Wars in the current situation CN is in right now. I really would.

There are over 100 million people in the entire United States, around that amount of 15 to 20 million tune in to watch some of the shows aired on Fox, It's not entirely impossible to get that many people to watch this show.

14. Kando

Kando Well-Known Member

I'm sure Animated will do just fine.

15. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Considering the fact that the boards I usually hang out on are very ratings-savvy, it always seems weird to me how many people on this board don't have the slightest clue how television ratings work. (I remember someone once claiming that the Nelson ratings don't matter anymore >_>)

Let's examine some facts:
    That's Cartoon Network's Saturday morning lineup last week, complete with ratings. Ignoring the shows that aren't actually part of the block (the first 3 and last 2), Transformers Animated is the lowest rated show on the block. Even so, the ratings aren't abysmal, considering the higher rated shows (aside from Ben 10 Alien Force's 3.0) were all new episodes.

Here are the average ratings for Saturday morning lineups last week:
    Taking those into account (ignore Nick's ratings, as they're ALWAYS number one), Transformers Animated isn't doing badly at all by being on Cartoon Network.

However, as you can see, getting 15-20 million viewers is just out of the question, moreso given the timeslot. It should also be noted that Transformers Animated almost always averages 2.3, even when it's in new episodes.

In short:
    It's ratings aren't great, but it doesn't get "terrible" ratings by any means.

16. Optimus_Prowl

Optimus_Prowl I'm the Goddamed Two-Face

News Credits:
    I think Animated will do great, and Cartoon Network has already shown that they have some more action/story oriented shows coming out on the horizon. I mean come on, look at Flapjack and Chowder! Two of the better cartoons to come out in a long time. Secret Saturdays, from what I've seen, doesn't look all that bad either. Ben 10 I'm hoping will get a little better. But with the direction that Cartoon Network is taking I have faith that they will do well with Animated.

17. Boy who screams

Boy who screams Banned

See, right there is when you want to make me throw up. I hate completely CGI anything, with the exception of Pixar (Wall-E FOREVER!), as it is, for the most part, ugly, stiff and lacking in artistic merit. CGI cartoons are leading to the death of cartoons as an art form.

And a fan-made show? HA! The only show that should ever be written by fans, and well qualified ones at that, is Dr Who, because it was kept alive and revived because of its massive fanbase. It seems to be you want Transformers, as a franchise, to become stagnant and rely on old ideas, thus never moving forward and progressing.

Plus, try buying an Animated toy is Sydney. Nigh impossible.

18. Boy who screams

Boy who screams Banned

Let me get this straight... you want 20% of the population to get up at 9am on a Saturday morning to watch A KID'S CARTOON?!?!

15-20 million is for high quality drama. Well, sometimes. Mostly some crappy American TV show, but still!

19. TFA_in_AK

TFA_in_AK Member

Well, in all honesty, 9 AM would be a luxury for this fan-- I live in Bush Alaska (the "AK" in my user name is a nod to my state, as that's Alaska's postal abbreviation), and the show comes on at 5 AM on Monday-Friday! (9:30 AM Saturdays, 10:30 AM Sundays, all times Alaskan). But I digress...

I have my hopes for the show, and I know I'll be sad when and if it ends (as all shows do). Even if this is the only show I've seen in Transformers fandom as a wole, it was the series that got me hooked, so I'm gonna be undyingly loyal to it.

20. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Wow. Bullshit sweeping generalisations = instant fail.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008