Let's do a future value speculation thread!!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by HoosierDaddy, Jan 13, 2012.

1. HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy Decepticon. I'm no hero

News Credits:
    I wanted to see what all you guys think and predict will end up being quite valuable in the future out of the toys we currently have access to in recent times.

For instance, in the early to mid 90's, Transformers didn't have a huge aftermarket following and prices were low. In 1994, I bought a mint in sealed box Jetfire for $20 at a toy show. Just because he meant something to me from my childhood is why I got him. He wasn't worth anything at the time. The same dealer had a BUNCH of MISB G1 toys for sale all in the $10 - $20 price range. Yeah, now I wish I had bought them all up, but back then, they had no value.

But, what about recent stuff? Things that don't garner much attention now, but could, for some reason or another, skyrocket in price in the future. We know what happened with classics. And, it looks like the ROTF will be the epitome of movie toys as we see some of those prices starting to rise, especially the leader class.

What do you guys think? Have any speculation, and hopefully some reasoning behind your speculation for some future valuable stuff that is "attainable" for us currently? I thought this would be fun to do then maybe look back on it in the future and see if anyone got it right?

So, let's see your genius minds at work on this one. It'll be fun!!

2. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    I don't know, but a lot of the more modern stuff doesn't seem to hold up in terms of prices. I notice they shoot up after a while, but after a certain period, drop down again. Look at the Beast Wars stuff. I think it's probably due to the fact that a lot of toys now aren't what we call definitive, and Hasbro/Takara will always find a way to release an even better toy version, at which point, the previous release will suffer.

3. Snaptrap

Snaptrap Field Commander

They often go in waves. For example, Windcharger was artificially high because he was quite rare when he first came out. He's since dropped down to retail pricing. Give it a few years, whether it's 3, 5, or 10, and odds are he'll go back up again. It's all about supply and demand. Sure, demand will be lower, one would think, but then so will supply. To the few people who didn't get it now, lost it, broke, quit collecting, whatever the reason, if someone wants one in 2015 or 2020, chances are he won't come cheap.

4. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Yes, but if Hasbro came out with a better deluxe-sized Classics Windcharger, then it's most likely he would :) 

5. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Anything that could jump up in price and hold it (or keep rising) is basically uncommon or rare Japanese exclusive releases, and perhaps the occasional Botcon toy.

Outside of that...Classics might be the one thing where stuff eventually starts climbing and just doesn't drop (Hasbro or Takara), but that's still making the assumption that the market won't suffer a drop (inexplicable rereleases, Korean reissues like what's been seen with the Japanese Beast Wars series, Car Robots, Micron Legends and Galaxy Force, better figures are just some of the things that could alter the market for those figures).

6. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    fansproject stuff will start to go up and up

7. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Tuner Mudflap will be the new holy grail of grails.

JUST YOU WATCH. YOU'LL ALL SEE.

8. Snaptrap

Snaptrap Field Commander

Some people would still want the Scout sized Minicon, because he looks better next to someone like Prowl. That, and how often does Hasbro / Takara Tomy release a brand new mould that becomes the defnitive version? Using Windcharger again, there was G1, Alternators, a blue Energon one, and now Reveal the Shield.

Take a more popular character. I'd say the definitive Soundwave right now is the Music Label one. Some might say it's WFC. Others still might say it's Titanium. And before that . . . it's pretty much the original one. Stretching things out, let's include the Cybertron one.

G1: 1984
    Cybertron: 2005
    Titanium: 2006
    Music Label: 2007
    WFC: 2011 (technically 25 December 2010)

So, for a popular character like Soundwave, G1 lasted 21 years, Cybertron 1, Titanium 1, Music Label 4, and WFC has been around for just over a year. I'd say that bodes well for a fringe character like Windcharger.

9. Snaptrap

Snaptrap Field Commander

That would be funny. There are more of him today than there were AOL CDs in the 90's.

10. cheapdate

cheapdate Banned

I'd hazard a guess that any figure that Fansproject decides to enhance will maintain a solid value.

11. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    New stuff is too plentiful. Value will fall if/when the movies become more of a memory and bandwagon fans jump off and give up collecting. Between now and then semi rare figures from has/tak may rise but don't plan on transformers being a long term investment.

12. Snaptrap

Snaptrap Field Commander

G1 will always be popular. BW's strength remains strong. Dinobot and Waspinator being in the Hall of Fame are proof enough of that. But somehow I doubt that the Movie, RID, or Unicron Saga will stand the test of time. Animated might, and I bet Prime will, as it is from an aligned continuity. So far, we're guaranteed a least 52 episodes (I've heard some people say 78, not sure if season three has already been picked up yet or not).

13. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    I just noticed that MOSC 1984/85 Bumblebee prices have increased dramatically since two years ago.

14. Snaptrap

Snaptrap Field Commander

Ah, it's made the jump from ridiculously expensive to plaid?

15. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    sorry, not familiar with meaning of "plaid", except the checkered kind.

16. snoopcow

snoopcow Yara Naika?

anything to do with G1 theme and leader movie prime variants and his add ons

17. Snaptrap

Snaptrap Field Commander

A reference to the 1987 Mel Brooks Classic Spaceballs.

[​IMG]

18. Star Saber

News Credits:
    I wouldn't say Prime is a sure thing just yet, although so far, it has amped up its storytelling, and that's a good thing, as Beast Wars and Animated had great storylines going for them. I definitely agree on RID/Unicron Saga probably not doing so well long term, but the movie has definitely made a huge impression on a lot of people, for many their first exposure to the Transformers universe, and that will always stick, it's just that their merchandise is everywhere, and in this day and age, a lot more people are collector oriented than they were during G1, so it's possible the stuff will be available and in great condition in years to come.

19. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    LOL. Regardless though on the value of toys now or in the future.....I can honestly say there's an entity saying this:

[​IMG]

20. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The problem is collectors. The mentality wasn't there as much in the 80s so less of the g1 stuff exists. The target group was buying the toys (kids).

Now it's almost a split on who buys the toys between adults and kids and collectors have what they want. Inflated after market prices comes from product availability in areas and resellers taking advantage of this. Windcharger, for instance, was available in europe and not so in America for a time.

If any toy is going to hold and increase value it'll have to be a first time line and it will have to be what the kids of now love because the value will come from nostalgia in the future. Sadly video games reign supreme.