Let's Discuss the Wii U. KEEP IT CI- ...nevermind, carry on.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Radioactive Ravage, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    CES is tomorrow, this thread is on time.

2. magmatron

magmatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Still a few days early in my opinion:p .

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :lol 

4. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Yeah, to clarify: the Wii-U is going to have to deliver something more than Mario, Zelda and Metroid. It's going to have to have Street Fighter, Devil May Cry, Assasin's Creed, Batman Arkham Asylum\City -you get the picture.

I don't think the current Wii has had a third party experience even remotely similar to something like Lost Planet. And that game is kind of an unknown on the PS3 and Xbox.

Didn't everyone? :lolol 

5. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    AC (not sure which) and arkham city have been confirmed.

6. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

Hell yeah, RR7 is awesome! :thumb  It's honestly amazing, and still my favorite PS3 game. Of course, the Playstation also now serves as my DVD player among other things, but the main reason i bought it was for RR7. Hell, i bought it in Hong Kong and had to carry it all the way back home in the luggage which wasted so much weight, but it was worth it! :D  The only problem is PSP's Ridge Racer is still better. :lol 

I'd just like to point out that porting the games to wii wasn't impossible. The Classic Controller got rid of any control issues, and the gameplay wasn't exactly difficult to get right (by right, i mean they just had to port the game over as it was, not cut out bits and pieces like they did). Why would i pay $99 for Transformers: Cybertronian Adventures, when i can pay $99 for PS3's Transformers War For Cybertron? Hell, i would go to Playstation solely for the better game name. :( 

Still, prove my wrong Nintendo. Prove me wrong. In the meantime, i will focus on saving up for a Vita. :tongue: 

EDIT: I should mention i didn't buy Assasin's Creed, DMC or anything like that. I guess i buy games for non-serious, pick up and play sort of fun. Don't have the time to delve into such a storyline, as much as those games looked awesome. So that might be why RR7 is still my favorite. :) 

And yes, I bought a PS3 for Ridge Racer 7. You know i'm right. :D  :lol 

7. Xaddion

Xaddion ...

News Credits:
    That's what D-pads are for, and unlike the 360, Nintendo's D-pads are actually decent, so they have no excuse.

Now I'm not sure how the Wii U is going to turn out, but "giant, heavy controller + big price tag + motion controls = Trouble"

8. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    rrrriiiidddgee Raaaccceeerr! Sony will never live that down will they?

It's Ridge Racer! - YouTube

9. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

A note-

No matter how ridiculously inane you think Carnival Games or any of those other games are, casual gamers do buy them, simply because it offers what it states on the box and doesn't have some convoluted name like "Skyward Sword" or "Uncharted". And Nintendo does have the stranglehold on casual gamers.

Also, in response to a question as to how much of an effect does Mario have on the video gaming market (how many people actually buy Mario games), I googled the highest selling games of each console- New Super Mario Bros. Wii is sixth on the Wii's list with 21.94 million copies sold. In comparison, the number one game on the PS3 is Gran Turismo 5, with 7.3 Million... so I think Mario has a pretty good standing.

I get that games are games, and yes, Nintendo has to have good third party support in order to establish the Wii U as a successful console. But look at all of the third party support they are garnering from the 3DS and Wii U- in talks with third parties in order to get their support. It is clear that Nintendo is aware of their faults from the last generation and are attempting to reprimand them.

Now, when I said that the controller caught people's eye, there is no doubt that it WAS able to do that- the focus on the controller itself at the conference proves that Nintendo plans to make big moves with this specific piece of hardware. But I say it was fantastic because of the possibilities it opens up, not just as a gaming console but as an entertainment system. I did not mean to put words in anyone's mouth, and I think that people underestimate the ability of this console's success as an entertainment system rather than a gaming console. That was what I meant, and I implied that because it adds another facet to the discussion.

I apologize if you believe this thread was started too soon- but I think, at a time of no information and a lot of speculation, is just right, because it allows us to talk about what Nintendo's failings are and what we expect from the company with their next release- so that, if proven wrong or right upon its eventual launch, we can go back and say so.

10. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Uh-uh. I´ll keep my more PS3 powerful graphic console and neat games thank you.

11. Kuma Style

Kuma Style I'm boney. I'm boney; Leave me aloney! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I liked RR7...

12. Radioactive Ravage

"Neat" is subjective. :D 

13. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Not really. To quote Yatzee from Zero Punctuation, I would like to have a processor that is not around the Battle of Waterloo. :p 

14. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    personally i found more games on ps3 to lure me (MGS, GOW, Resistance, LBP) towards it than anything on the wii for this generation. i over thought the motion controls for zelda, thinking it would be 1:1 motion for really great swordfighting, and then interest for me just dropped from there

15. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Im kinda the same way with PS3 attracting me with those franchises, but Nintendo had so much promise going forward with motion and pointer controls. Yet, it seems that only a handful of big games ended up using them to their potential. And like I was saying earlier, it should be downright CRIMINAL that there has not been a Jedi Knight style lightsaber game for the Wii.

16. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    QFT.
    but we get clone wars lightsaber battles instead :( 

17. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

And that is absolutely pathetic considering the word "lightsaber" was the first thing to come to so many people's minds immediately after seeing the controller. And even more pathetic that after that oversight, they bothered to make a Star Wars game for the Kinect (or did that game eventually get canceled?).

Because of that, I am completely pessimistic over the game I want the most: TIE Fighter for Wii U. It would work so brilliantly, by having the touchscreen control things like shield and laser power levels, firing modes, shield direction, targeting display, etc. But because Lucasarts sucks, I'm not going to even bother. They're hopeless.

18. Kuma Style

Kuma Style I'm boney. I'm boney; Leave me aloney! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    One thing I would LOVE for a lightsaber type game for the Wii, is having some kind of vibration feature built in as collision detection. It's pretty lame to think of a sword fighting game with absolutely no sense of clash when weapons hit something.

19. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    dont even start me on how epic battlefront 3 could have been :( 

20. Radioactive Ravage

Ehhh... I dunno about that. Ever played the Call of Duty series on the Wii? Not really that good, because they half-assed it with the software and made something very simplistic. I don't think that somethings work on one console and some don't. But then again, it comes back to what type of gamer you are- built on more tradition, bright visuals and clever ideas or gritty realism of the modern day graphics era...

Nintendo's consoles are usually not involved with very "realistic" titles, but they're still innovative and crazy. And that's what I think Nintendo always has going for them in this console war- and that's what Sony and XBox (Did XBox even have this?) moved away from- cartoonish, vibrant titles. The announcement of Sly Cooper 4 has given me hope... but the loss of Jak and Daxter and Crash Bandicoot makes me wonder if we'll ever see titles like that in HD... and Spyro has become very strange of late.

But Nintendo will always be a hub for these cartoony, loveable characters, and a place they can call home. So I think third parties need to make the decision as to which side of gaming they want to develop in- the more realistic or the more vivid. I think that's the direction that Square Enix needs to focus, because the more recent Final Fantasy outings have been a little too odd...

But I digress. I think some of the Wii U's appeal or disapproval comes down to what style of gamer you are, really. If the vibrant, creative world stuff doesn't appeal to you, the system won't, really. Because it's kind of the hub for that.

...TL;DR I just wrote half my article. Thanksss.