Let ye who has never early-adopted cast stones: My 3D TV purchase.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Prowl, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, there will probably be a new better TV in the coming months, and yeah, they are making those other ones that don't require glasses, but those are still a ways off and might be uber expensive, while the one I just bought wasn't too bad at all, but this weekend we bought a new TV and went for 3D because quite simply, I was blown away when I saw games running on it. I also watched Transformers: ROTF in regular 2D 240hz on this new LCD, and holy shit, the forest scene.

Sony is about to make Killzone, Wipeout and Little Big Planet 3D in June and Gran Turismo 5 will be 3D ready when it's released.

So I found a cheap copy of Avatar the game just to see what's in store, and while the game is "just ok" the 3D looked pho-king amazing. It's not about the crap that comes out at you. It's about how deep into the background you can "see". I actually spent half the time just walking around looking through the jungle. I stopped next to one of the little buggies and it felt like I could reach into the screen and grab it, or turn the little steering wheel.

I can't wait for Killzone and Motorstorm's unlocks.

So yeah, like with consoles, I did the usual and early adopted, but I needed a new TV anyway, and I was surprised to learn that TVs could go online now, read media files of USB sticks, complete with Divix and H.264 support, and do Netflix and Blockbuster streams.

But the 3D on gaming is what really sold me.

2. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

nice! now i can send you all those pictures of me in my underwear and you can get the full 3D glory.

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, do this. Remember to use two cameras with the lenses about eye-with apart, and send both images.

This should be good.

4. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

ok, i'll probably need to get TT and Boardwise to help me out.

5. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    From the avatars this looks like a conversation between Richard and Jack.. :lol 

I tried one at best buy and thought it is a neat device, but it is way too much right now.

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Tune into Lost this week, where Jack offers to give Richard half-naked 3D photos of himself, lol

7. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Coolness.
    Did you get the ‘starter package’ with glasses and everything?

You should DL the trial for Invincible Tiger on XBLA.
    It supports 3D.

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yup and we got lucky, we bought the new HDMI 1.4 cables, and didn't get charged for them, lol. And no way in hell I was going to come back and explain that to them.

I bought Invincible Tiger on the PS3 a while back. I redownloaded it an tried it with the new set. The Pink and Green glasses work really well with that game, but with these you can definitely see color on top of depth.

9. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Congrats, you beta test it for us and I will pick one up in about 4 years once all the bugs are worked out.

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only bug I've seen is the TV trying to be cool, which annoys me. If I turn on the BR player, the TV switches to it automatically. So last night, we were going to watch a movie but I was just going to put the movie in there to have it ready and the TV switched to the BR while I was on my PS3

"Thanks, but don't do me any favors."

Also, I think the remote turns the lights on when it knows it's night, but that might be coincidence, because maybe I don't see it in the day.

Otherwise it's cool, but I don't have anything to compare it to, and I ain't paying 5k for a Sony.

11. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

You are nuts :lol 

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So does this mean that you won't help Smang with his little experiment? :D 

13. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

My nakedness will reflect in his perfectly oiled pecs and end up as a huge backfire, so no.

14. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Dude, that's way better than a few years ago when HDTVs wouldn't handshake their devices and you literally had to switch to the correct input, turn the device on, and then turn the TV off and on.

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know, and I'm SURE I can turn that off. That was my only complaint so far. But ROTF in 240hz, Imax forest scene was something fierce, so was Megan in 240hz. It's like she became something I could touch. I don't think I could handle that movie in 3D.

Sensory overload!

16. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I've decided to hold out for a few years and skip the active shutter stuff, I had a go at an obscenely expensive polarised set a couple of weeks ago and it was just like cinema 3D.

I'm not convinced at all about 3DTVs that don't involve glasses, or at least not ones that are even remotely capable of replicating the levels of picture depth and stuff-in-your-face that were getting now with eyeglass shenanigans.

17. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey Rabid, the polarized one you're talking about: Is that the kind that uses the cheap glasses from the cinema? That's one thing I'd like to know. Why is it so difficult to replicate that at home? It would sure as hell make the glasses less expensive.

I feel the same way about the glassless TVs. If I'm proven wrong then great, but I've heard them compared to those 3D hologram posters, which leads me to believe that the image might be somewhat, well, holographics, while things in the shutter glasses looks almost tangible.

18. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

Nice Buy. What type of 3D HDTV is it? I just bought a new 52" Sony Bravia 3 weeks ago Internet ready. I was looking at the 3D sets but its way way to early for that new tech. I will wait 3 or 4 years when the prices drop and the bugs are all fixed.

19. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's a Samsung 46 inch. I realize that Sony's were going to be expensive, and I have had 2 Samsung TVs including a 10 year old projection TV that have served me well and never busted, so I didn't mind sticking with Samsung.

See, that's one side of TVs I never realized existed and was pleasantly surprised to learn. Now I don't have to use my PS3 and 360 to watch movies from my PC, and on top of that, the TV supports h.264 as well as Divx, which my consoles don't, so it's become my new device to digital movies and episodes. So the 3D is an awesome gimmick, but it was also nice to get get a great 2D LCD as well.

The Bravias are beasts though. Maybe I'll migrate to a Bravia when the polarized sets come down in price.

20. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

Do you use TVersity for media streaming on your PS3/360? If not all those codecs are used in TVersity.