Lest we Forget

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by General Magnus, Nov 11, 2011.

1. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

2. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Wish we could go back in time and thank people. Then secretly give them some M14's

3. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Happy Veterans Day!

[​IMG]

4. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives TFW2005 Supporter

Yes, thanks to our Vets, your service is appreciated :thumb 

5. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

Those guys are what I call real heroes. I thank all of you who have been or still are in the service.

6. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

All WWII Vets should be given a medal for extreme badassery, I wonder why we don't have one of those.

Everyone should salute when they pass on the streets, specially today [vets day and all].

And Since we're on WWII, fun fact of the day: Brazil fought in the WWII [Italy to be precise], I bet none of you knew about that.

They called themselves "Smoking Snakes" [an allussion to a certain Brazilian term meaning "that won't ever happen", something like "that will only happen when SNAKES SMOKE!" a phrase often used as answer when someone asked "Will the Brazil fight in WWII?" before they actually fought in the WWII], and had howitzers with "The snake is smoking" written on it.

They are sometimes called the forgotten ally, for obvious reasons [i.e no one remembers their participation in the War], they won The Battle of Monte Castelo [alongside other Allied forces].

/end random history lession.

7. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    One of the proudest moments of my life was marching in a Remembrance Day parade with several WW2 veterans. It was also one of the funniest as when we passed the veteran's pub half-way through the march and as soon as they saw it they broke ranks and went in :lol 

8. TF rocks

TF rocks Try and stop me!

My mom's dad served in WWII in the D-Day invasion, he liberated the Dachau concentration camp, he was in the Battle of the Buldge, and he helped to re-integrate the victims of another camp into civilization. He was fluent in four languages and received a few medals for his work, including the Purple Heart because he was wounded in battle.

My dad's dad served in the air force during that time, but he never saw combat due to a hearing injury that saw him discharged from service. He was pretty accurate with the bombings though, good enough to be considered for the Hiroshima and Nagasaki missions.

Funny story about that though. My grandfather on my dad's side picked up an old empty (note the word empty) bombshell and took it home with him. It is now a family heirloom which my dad has with him.

On a more serious note, I am proud of those two for serving our country when it was needed the most. May those who serve never be forgotten.

9. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    World War One was fought for the stupidest, pettiest reasons. That doesn't take away from the heroism the troops displayed amid the horror of the trenches, however. Never forget.

10. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    My dad got home from Afghanistan about a month ago. So I volunteered to participate in my school's ceremony this year. I didn't see the veterans while I was standing in front of everyone, but I saw them in the video that my mom recorded. Heads down, eyes closed. Can't even begin to imagine what they've been through.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22PYLoAsAv4

11. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I'd like to take a moment to thank all the veterans. Not all of us can or will do what they do on a daily basis, but we can honor them and the sacrifices they've made for us. My pap served in Vietnam as a combat photographer; which meant that all he had was a camera and a pistol. God bless all the veterans.

12. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    Well said Nacht, well said.