Less Jay Leno, more G1

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by cococommander, Dec 28, 2007.

1. cococommander

cococommander Jr Junior Member

[​IMG]

I think Transformers:Animated is gearing up to be THE best Transformers series.

G1 is good for nostalgia, but the writing is cringe-worthy at times and the animation choppy in later eps.
    Beast Wars I never liked - again, the writing. It tried to be more mature than it actually was. Realistic 3D is also too expensive and the visuals often have to take too much of a beating to get onscreen on budget for my taste.
    Let's forget anything written by the Japanese, it makes no sense to me and I do not enjoy countless still images to tell a story.

TF: Animated combines fun writing (aimed at kids without being dumbed down), a cool new art direction and a great new take on the mythos.

That said, I am a bit concerened about the chins. I'm more than willing to turn a blind eye, but here's how I think OP's face should've been handled.

What do you think?

(P.S. How can I upload an image w/out having to host it on Imageshack? ~ thx!)

2. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    I personally think the chins are awesome and I was disappointed that the chins didn't seem as big in motion as they did in the concept art.

3. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Host it on Photobucket instead. :D 

4. Anti Spark

Anti Spark It'S DUB Or Nothing!

News Credits:
    If you take Prime and change his head to the Armada deluxe head it would look amazing!

5. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

no i bet it would look out of place lol

6. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

I hate the art direction. Didn't the guy behind it make a comment about fans being just basement-dwelling fatties, too?

I'd gladly watch Animated...if it wasn't for the ginormous chins and the distort-o-vision.

7. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love big chins because I got a big chin.
    And I love myself so yeah.

8. optimus124

optimus124 PSN ID - OPTIMUS124

Ebay:
    The Transformers:

CHINS THAT WILL SURPRISE!!!!

9. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Love the designs myself.

No complaints here.

10. optimus124

optimus124 PSN ID - OPTIMUS124

Ebay:
    The Design asthetic is consistent, pretty much they take a feature and enhance it. The thing that impresses me the most is that all of the toys look extremely close to thier "animated' counterpart

11. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

That's fine, because the art direction wasn't made for you. Kids were not 'getting' the detailed animation and stories of JLU and Samarai jack. That appeals to tweens and teens. Since Tweens and Teens don't buy toys in high numbers... it doesn't make sense to make the show for them and the toys for the kids.

Read the last line. Not a single person at Hasbro or Cartoon Network is losing any sleep that you won't watch Chintastic animation.

Anyone who thinks they should change *ANYTHING* to make it more appealing to them and less appealing to kids is dilusional.

12. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    First I've heard of that. Source, please?

13. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    Honestly, i think most of us will get used to the new designs and animation style in time. It looks and feels awkward at first, but i'm willing to bet that we'll grow accustomed to the sizeable chins after watching more eps until we don't even think about them that much anymore.

14. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    I think people need to realize that these designs are more about personality than mechanical design. I could easily tell how most of the Animated characters were going to act right when I saw them.

If I look at G1 Prime and pretend then I know nothing about him he looks like War hungry marine. Not the Lincoln-like hero we've come to know and love.

Although I do understand that some people just don't like the look.

15. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    While I found myself enjoying the show as a whole, a hell of a lot more than I have any show since R.I.D. I still very much dislike the design of the show and the characters in general. It looks pretty much like all of the other "Lazy Animation" shows that are out there today. Oh and my kids 8 and 10 agree. It's sad that Looney Tunes, a show that is over 60 years old, has better animation than this and most other shows on today.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2007
  16. wal2.0

wal2.0 Banned

Wish I could say the same. The look alone prevents me from taking this seriously.

Don't get too upset with me tho- I would feel the same if Transformers was portrayed as sock puppets.

17. wal2.0

wal2.0 Banned

I won't disagree.
    My son- 13- kept laughing at it, and saying that Prime looked like Buzz Lightyear to him.

I saw the Bayformers and declared that the movie would suck. I watched it and was wrong, and even tho I dislike most bot designs I still dig the film.

I saw Animated pictures and released clips and declared that it would suck. I watched it and was right. At least BAyformers had enough spectacle to maintain my interest despite its cheap script and story. TF:A just prevented me from taking it seriously enough to make myself sit thru it all.

18. MaikeruSan

MaikeruSan KnightStalker

News Credits:
    Aw come on comlaining about animated chins is like complaining about movie prime flames. CHINS A FUCKING AWSOME!

19. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Jay Leno=Awesome

20. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    People say Jay Leno, but the chins really look nothing like his. He kinda has a more of a fat chin instead of a long chin. He has a nice jolly chin.

Regardless, chins FTW. There's enough G1 in there already, and the chins in motion are really not noticable in the least. Probably because the mouths do a good job of occupying the chin space. It's not so much big chins as it is small closed mouths.

I was kinda hoping the big chins would be more noticable. They're part of that distinguishing feature of the animated designs. They add character, and they helped give us the Tick-former homage that is Sentinel Prime!

The animation isn't lazy, and it's just a little silly to say that. The designs are essentially G1 designs with better faces and more streamlined shapes. The action scenes we saw are anything but lazy and I would really like to see anybody here do better. The fact that there was no repeated animation or stiff, unatural movements typical to lower budget animes that transformers has gotten in the past.

So yeah. Chins, FTW.