Leo Prime vs Devastator: Complexity??

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by toyman, Dec 23, 2009.

1. toyman

toyman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So yesterday, I had a proud papa moment with my son. At his daycare, his sitter gave him his first "real" Transformer as a Christmas gift. He has other TF's (McD's, Activators, Slammers) but never one that I had considered a real Transformer. He loves the toys, but I always thought he was not ready for a real one. To my surprise, he managed to look at the instructions and figure it out pretty quickly. Now granted, the one he received (Target ex Universe Leo Prime) was a pretty easy one to transform but I was still impressed that he managed to figure it out with very little help from me.

Anyway, he will be turning 5 on the 30th of December and he has been begging me for the "Big Devastator figure" since that is his favorite part from the new movie.

So my question is this: Are the individual parts to Movie Supreme Devastator very difficult to Transform? Any harder than the Leo Prime mold? I do not personally have that toy since I do not collect the movie line, but I would love to get it for him if it is not overly complicated. I already know "Santa" did not bring it but it is not too late to pick it up for his birthday.

2. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Devestator isn't TOO terribly difficult but he might need some help here and there. I'm sure it would be fun for the two of you...I know I look back at my dad helping me put stickers on my old G1 toys with lots of fondness!

3. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    There are Scout class toys that are much more complex than Leo Prime.

The mold is an absolute insult to the original Lio Convoy, but i digress.

Have a look at Sean Longs review of Devastator,

YouTube - Transformers 2 ROTF Movie Supreme Devastator Constructicons Review

Very close up, he explains the transformation pretty well.

4. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The individual parts of devs aren't any harder than the leo prime mold. not in the slightest. He was able to figure out Leo, he'll figure out Devs.

5. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    I think the toughest part is yanking and pushing on the connection points.

6. toyman

toyman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I did watch the review video (thanks for the suggestion miscreant!) and noticed that even the reviewer was having a hard time with the connection points. Maybe it just takes a little bit of playtime to loosen them up a bit.

Can anyone think of any other currently at retail molds from any of the lines that are a pretty simple to transform? One that comes to mind is the Universe Ultra Silverbolt mold. I remember how ripped off I felt when I opened mine.

7. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You may want to check out Roll Out Command Optimus Prime. My 5 year old loves it. It's simple and fun for kids their age. Since he's 5 articulation don't mean a thing to him. I found a bunch at Walmart for $20.

8. Fenix951

Fenix951 Well-Known Member

animated starscream mold is easy. u basically just flip his legs down and the rest of him automorphs. seriously takes less than 10 secs to transform

9. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

Get Devs!!! He is pretty easy to change.

10. toyman

toyman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh yeah, I will get him Devastator! I will have to be sure and hit the after Christmas clearance aisles pretty hard this weekend! Maybe I will be able to score some other TF's for him on the cheap to build him up a nice little collection.

Oh, and we ended up playing TF's all day today:D  As soon as he woke up this morning, he was in his room messing with that Leo Prime figure. Soon after that we dug all of his various TF toys out of his toybox so we could have battles. At the end of the day, we ended up clearing off one of his shelves so he could set up his TF's just like mine:D 

11. toyman

toyman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh yeah, and thanks for the suggestions guys......I will be sure to keep an eye out for some of those figs.

12. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    ROTF Leader Prime :p 

seriously though I second the Roll Out Command OP if you can still find one. ROTF Cannon BB is pretty easy to TF once you figure out the chest/front of the car part. the classics Powerglide mold is pretty easy too

13. toyman

toyman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I may hit up some of the discount stores for the animated stuff. I spotted some Animated voyager and leader figs at a TJ Maxx recently and about half a dozen Cybertron Primus w/ bonus mini cons at a AJ Wright.

14. Astrotrain52

Astrotrain52 Former Green Kool-aider

To transform the components: easy, Linking them together: he'll need adult help.

15. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    Primus??! I havnt seen a Primus in years. how much they have those for?

16. *Soundwave*

*Soundwave* Derp

News Credits:
    i got both today, and I say devastator is no more complex than leo prime. he just may need some help putting him together, but tight joints ARE a good thing. =]

17. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Devastator's parts are pretty simple, he probably only needs help to click the limbs in (because that requires a bit of force)..I'd say go for it! :) 

18. toyman

toyman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They were $40 each. AJ Wright is a discount store (think KB toys in the ghetto).

I am going out today to see what I can find for him in the clearance sales. Hopefully I will turn up a Devastator for a good price.