Lego Macross...Need Help Figuring one out...

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by protostar8, Jul 18, 2009.

1. protostar8

protostar8 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm trying to build Macross and Mospeada valks based roughly on what others have done (the Mospeada valks have a little more personal influence). I can't figure out how in the world the legs are made in the VF-1 valks below:

Brickshelf Gallery
    Brickshelf Gallery

I can get close, but I just can't figure them out. Things that I thought would work end up not working b/c the parts just don't fit right. It looks much simpler than it is I'm afraid. Has anyone ever made one or can somebody shed light on how it works? I'm also pretty sure I'll have trouble with the chest transformation if anyone knows how that works...

Thanks!

2. maninthebox94

maninthebox94 Banned

Are there any instructions, these do look neat.

3. Pepsiman98

Pepsiman98 Consulting Criminal

i think i can figure the legs out. if i can i'll put the instructions here. :thumb 

4. protostar8

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    TYVM. I planned to put up a parts list of things needed once I had them done (well, after I ordered parts myself and built one of each to make sure things worked, wouldn't want to put up bad info). My main problem was the front and back panels. I couldn't figure out what needed to be inside to allow them to mount properly.

Most of the parts are cheap, so I'm thinking you could probably order parts for most of these for under $10.

Edit: I wish Brickshelf had a PM system or some form of contact info...

5. Pepsiman98

Pepsiman98 Consulting Criminal

that's my main problem right now too, but i think i have it figured out. lego's official 3-d program, LDD, doesn't have a few of the peices i need, so im going to install Ldraw.

6. protostar8

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm using LDraw right now. I may have installed the parts update wrong or something b/c there are quite a few pieces missing in mine (like the T-Bars that are at the major joints of these).

Right now, I can get really close on the leg, but it's just not the same. Perhaps I'm missing some parts that would make it work. I know with the SDF-1, I realized that the person had cheated and glued some stuff together (b/c one of the pieces used has 1 attachment point and was attached at 2 places), so I'm hoping the VF-1 isn't like that. It looks like some of the pieces on the leg are not quite aligned perfectly in some shots, so that makes me think they are connected and not glued on.

On a side note, I'm gonna switch modes and start figuring out the arms and chest. I've got the upper legs all done. Same goes for the wings and the plane's top and even the backpack/thruster/tailfin area.

7. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Lego is like duct tape. You can do anything with it.

8. protostar8

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just an update. I have EVERYTHING except the lower legs and inside the chest done. Again, I'm close on the legs and I'm also close on the chest. The problem with the chest is that I can see an image of what's going on, but in the program, the parts just aren't long enough. So I don't know if I have it built wrong or what...

Edit: CHEST SOLVED. I had one piece sitting too far back, and that made the connecting arm appear too short. Even if it isn't exactly like the one seen, it is close enough to work right now. :D 
    So all I got left is the dang lower legs! Grrrr....

9. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow, those are supper rad.

10. protostar8

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just a teaser pic of what I've got so far. Still can't get the stupid lower leg figured out...
    (Thus you don't see a leg in the photo)

Edit: Figured out the leg...finally! Now to double check everything and order parts....scratch that, gonna make super parts first to save on shipping.

Attached Files:

11. swissjak

swissjak New Member

How'd the final build go? I would be really interested to see!

I've been wanting to use this scale macross mecha for Mechaton.
    Cool little tabletop game that is designed for lego mecha.

Check it out here: anyway: search

If you ever get the chance, would you be willing to post the designs/instructions for the VFs?