Heavy/Scratch: LEGO "Fall of Cybertron" SnapDragon

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by alanyap, Sep 18, 2012.

1. alanyap

alanyap Will work for LEGO

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    In my early years of MOCing (thats My Own Creation-ing in LEGO)... I set sight on building Snapdragon because he's one of my favorite Transformers Triple Changer. Back then, I didn't have much parts to get started, so that MOC end up having different color than it's original toy (attached photo of Snappy taken off a page from TF Universe book). Finally, time have come for me to improve him because I can't bear to see him in yellow anymore.

In the original toy, Snapdragon is a Headmaster triple changer that transforms between a jet , a dragon (hence his namesake) and finally a robot. The headmaster companion is a minifigure that transform into Snapdragon's robot head and beast head as well. However, due to issues pertaining the head-size ratio , I've decided to build him not as a headmaster Transformer, but maybe his incarnation from "Fall of Cybertron" era. This is when Transformers have not much gimmicky features except changing modes and of coz... given a rifle or two to defend themselves.

Initial Idea
    I started off this project in hope to make him a Headmaster . But since the headmaster figure must carry dual function , which is transforming into robot AND beast head, he will definitely turn into an oversized 'bot head + normal beast head.... or the other way round. I can't find a good resolution for this... so the idea was scrapped.

Stroke of Purple Luck

My inventory of purple LEGO parts are very,very small. (less than few dozens). Luckily they're mostly slopes , which are just what I need to make Snapdragon's chest. And this is why I seldom built Decepticons MOC coz most of them have either too purple or too cream colored :- scarcity of parts in such colors.

Aesthetics over Solidity (<< is this a proper word?)

I would humbly report that for the sake of making him aesthetically pleasing, some building techniques are flimsy (eg. held together by mere 1 stud) Notable examples:
    1x2 tiles to form the pointy shoulders,
    The angled jaggy wings on the back of the jet are not firmly secured into their position by any stud, they just rest there. So moving the MOC around for photoshoot easily distorts the jet's symmetry.

Easter Egg

I'm always trying to find ways to utilize "special" parts in my MOC. This time.. I've used printed tiles from other timeline/theme in my Snapdragon build. They looks like printed circuitry from afar.. Can you spot 'em? :) 

And yes before I end my writeups.. its PURE COINCIDENCE the "dragon" mode looks like a Zoid. I swore I never once referred to a single Zoid for reference/inspiration.

View more photos + transformation sequences in my blog below:

Alanyuppie's LEGO Transformers: LEGO "Fall of Cybertron" Snapdragon

Attached Files:

2. knightwind12

knightwind12 Well-Known Member

sick!

3. hater06

hater06 Well-Known Member

uhmmm that looks incredible... i had this guy as a kid so it strikes me close to home...

amazing job!

4. scorpio-prime

scorpio-prime Dreamer with fists

A really cool little take on a criminally overlooked Transformer!

I'm currently planning on taking a shot at doing some artwork for both Horrocons in Animated style, and the transformation sequence you've used here is pretty much exactly what I had in mind for Snapdragon.

5. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    Fantastic, as usual!

6. Spyne98

Spyne98 Host of the Rock Nerd Radio Show

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    WOW! This is awesome!

7. alanyap

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    My cousin had him and I only gets to play with it during festivities when we went over to his house. It held nostalgic meaning to me as well.. and my wishlist for G1 reissue alongside with Springer and Octane.

Original G1 Snapdragon has a pretty solid transformation sequence which I based much on.Simply enhance the joints with more flexible ones.. stretch a limb or two. And its ready for the prime time :) 

However, I strill cringe on having to see half the jet hanging at the back of the bot mode.

8. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm JaAm aficionado

News Credits:
    Two :thumb  :thumb  's up!

9. scorpio-prime

scorpio-prime Dreamer with fists

Agreed, thats why my plan is to have the elongated front/tail detach just below the cock pit (which will then twist around becoming his chest) and form a whip-sword for him to wield in robot mode.

Have you thought about making a Lego Apeface to accompany him?

10. maku098

maku098 indeed a wise choice

News Credits:
    That is awesome!:thumb 

11. chansformers

chansformers butcher of the bots

News Credits:
    in a word.....awesomesauce!!!!

12. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Great work ! Respect 1988 !

13. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    This made my New Pic Pick for this week's podcast. I luuuuurve this. And really want it in a sick way.

14. alanyap

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Not likely in the near future , unless when I finally run out of G1 triple changers to recreate :) 

There's a sort of a "holy grail" in my to-do list... which is G1 Octane. Im still in a "brainstorming" mode when I was aloof or while driving (hate those jams!) , on how to tackle him using LEGO. he's been on my mind for years now. I wont get down to building him unless I get a definite "blueprint" in my brain/sketches on how he's gonna turn out to be.

15. alanyap

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Thanks! I needed that :) 

This build is not really a solid one (parts tend to fell off mid-transformation). It might look good in photos but quite a "chore" when handled.