Legends Scorponok has a bad case of G.P.S.?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ShadowStitch, Jul 14, 2008.

1. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

So I was rearranging my figures tonight, as I am wont to do from time to time, and in the process of relocating Blackout and his little roboscorpion farm I picked up legends Scorpy by his tail, and was shocked when it crumbled in my hand!

I didn't do anything more strenuous than pick him up, and the rubbery plastic on his stinger just started disintegrating in my fingers like it was made of talcum. Thankfully the whole thing didn't crumble, just the extremities, so he has the implication of a stinger left, but all of the little sculptural details just fell right off. The remains of the formerly rubbery stinger are now solid stiff, so I'm actually kind of afraid to test it, lest the rest of it follow suit...

He hasn't been in the sun or anything, and not subjected to any extreme temperatures or anything that I'd normally consider hazardous to soft plastic... Has anyone else had this happen to them yet??

(And if not, please be careful!)

2. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

O sh#t dude that sucks, am going to check mine right now.

3. Brawlastator

Brawlastator it is our life - jon bovi

News Credits:
    Mine's just fine. I wonder why yours did that.

4. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Speaking of GPS....Animated Grimlock has his share of gold plastic (i.e. his whole robot chest), think it will become an issue with him?

5. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

*facepalms* not GPS again...

*crosses fingers* please let this be a fluke, please let this be a fluke....

6. optimus major

optimus major Banned

News Credits:
    damn that sucks

7. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

I don't think so. It looks to me like his was made with the new process.

The old process involved flecks of metallic material mixed in with the plastic to give it a..."shine" and due to it being in the way (literally) the plastic couldn't form a solid bond. Over time, it would weaken and either crumble or crack.

The new process was more color to the plastic, minimal (if any) flecks of metallic material mixed in.

Armada Superbase Optimus Prime (the auto transforming one) has gold plastic, pretty much the same color tone and feel as Grimlock's. I haven't seen any reports of him breaking due to GPS. (it's possible, of course, I just haven't heard anything about it.)

I wouldn't worry too much (at least about Grimlock) this time around the plastic is made with quality and longevity in mind.

In case you're wondering, take a look at BW Torca (he suffers from GPS across the board) and BW TransMetals Megatron (the T-Rex), both of them have gold plastic, but it's a much darker tone and you can see the flecks in it quite a bit.

Armada Prime and Animated Grimlock have gold plastic that looks nothing like the two examples I gave above. It's far more solid feeling and looking. It's brighter, and you can barely see any flecks, if at all.

Some plastics if you place them in sunlight and try to look through them, you can find faint traces of light trying to come through. Especially Torca. On these guys, it's rock solid, light doesn't creep through the plastic.

8. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Sorry to hear that :( 
    I thought GPS doesn't show that early? Sounds like just bad quality plastic, though I don't have Legend Scorponok so I can't say. Wish I had him anyway.

9. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Huh, just checked mine, and yup... with even a bit of pressure, the tail tips snapped right off. I wouldn't say they crumbled away exactly, but they definitely seem brittle and fragile, like they've lost their flexibility.

Bummer. :(  At least it's not a figure I care about too much, but I guess it does mean that Hasbro hasn't quite figured out the best approach to gold plastic yet.

10. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Mine had pieces start popping off too. But at least it's only a small part of Scorpy and something that could be fixed with a simple (theoretically anyway) mod.

11. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

My guess is, it's due to the size of the tail. Such a small area, and the gold needs to stand out and really wow you.

Deluxe Class Scorponok has gold plastic on him and no breakages. If you have a DC Scorp, compare him to the Legends one and make note of the color and feel of the plastic on both.

I'm willing to bet there's nothing alike about them.

12. nOObiE do0

nOObiE do0 noobious maximus

I wouldnt worry about tfa grimlock,I scratched the shit out of mine taking the twist ties off.
    Its just paint

13. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Well....atleast it's movie accurate now...

14. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I just checked my Scorpy... Damn, that tail piece really firmed up. Thankfully it's in a position that works well in both modes, so I don't have to risk breaking it... It would suck if I did break it... It's my favorite Legend.

15. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    i'm thankful i stayed away from the Scorponok toys.