Customs: Legends-class ROTF Ravage, no room in there?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Coeloptera, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Deluxe-class ROTF Ravage, no room in there?

I'm going to be altering a ROTF Legends-class Ravage figure as a gift.

The exterior will be easy. Just paint. He will, in fact, be painted with the fur-pattern of an existing Traditional Siamese cat (those are the ones with less sharp demarcations of the fur colours and a "saddle"), so that's just some washes, dry-brushing, blah-blah-blah. It'll look great.

However, I took him apart yesterday (the toy, not the cat) and his gimmick takes up a lot of room inside the upper torso (the gear-with-spring and the plate-switch-thing on "tracks"), but especially inside the head.

The reason this is a problem is because to finish the job, I want to put a blue LED behind the eyeball (meezers have blue eyes), but the head is filled with a gear-and-pin for the ears, the toothed extension of the neck that turns that gear, and a plastic column for the screw that holds the front of the head together.

My first instinct was to just hollow out both sides of that deep chest he has because there'd be plenty of room for battery, switch, and LED in there. I could then run a small fiber-optic line through the body to the eye, maybe cutting a small channel between the two, flat neck pieces, but then he couldn't transform.

Anyone who's done this have a better way? I'll admit, I'm less used to working on such a small scale. I've done (seasonal work) costuming and tech work for haunted attractions for 12 years, so I'm very comfortable with crafts and basic electrical work and have plenty of tools of wildly varying sizes.

But I'm far more used to working from the other side; extremely large (and durable) props and costumes and the need to keep the weight and unwieldiness down as opposed to working in a very tiny space.

Oh, and just out of curiosity's sake, I discovered that despite having a flat base, the gear-and-spring inside the torso doesn't seem to have a single, correct orientation. It worked so long as it meshed with the teeth above and below it and didn't matter which way the flat base pointed. It's interesting, but does it mean anything?

So, whatcha all got for me?

- Coeloptera

2. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

uhh... there is no Legends-class Ravage.
    If you mean deluxe class, then as far as i know the led can only be put in if you disable the gimmick.

3. Coeloptera

Nooooot a big toy-collector anymore (see under my avatar), so yes, I likely got the size-class wrong. The one with the snappy-jaw thing.

That aside, if that's really the case, I guess I could go ahead and cut out the grey plate (gluing the upper spike to one of the torso sides), remove all the gears, repurpose the spring on the gear inside the torso so the lower jaw can be manually opened and spring shut, fix the neck in place, maybe buy a ball-joint for the head, and dremel down the "tracks" inside the torso.

Where's a good place for the switch? The chest halves close over the floor of the torso piece. Maybe the upper spike...hmmm. Any ideas anyone?

- Coeloptera

4. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  5. Coeloptera

I really like the double ball-joint in the neck.

Okay then, hollow him out and fix the neck. Where's your on switch located?

- Coeloptera

6. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    I haven't picked up the figure yet, but I can't help but think you can do the LED mod AND retain the neck gimmick.

7. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You can figure it out. I hate the gimick. I love the neck movement!!!

8. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:

True enough, the gimmick is pretty hokey, now if he could lick his balls.......