Heavy/Scratch: Legend Arcee Customs: Easy, Medium & WTH was I thinking

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Jedi_Master_Ben, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Jedi_Master_Ben

Jedi_Master_Ben Well-Known Member

Hey everyone,

It has been a while since I posted a custom, been real buisy as of late. I do have a little project I would like to share with you all today. I call it: "Legend Arcee; the Easy, the Medium and the What the Hell was I Thinking". (NOTE: These are all Legend size)

[​IMG]

It all stated with my research into finding the right size scale transformer bike so I can grow it into one of my 1:18th scale "G.I. Joe size" projects. I was torn between the Human Alliance size and the Legend size. But then I saw a review video that show case the legend scale to be the same as the deluxe vehicles like the Bumblebee figure, which is 1:32. That scale grown with hydrospan, results to Joe scale figures as seen with my Bumblebee project. With the news of the multipack set that has 3 repaints legend Arcee figures with a deluxe Sideways figure further sinched it for me. So I ordered a Legend Arcee figure thru Amazon.com and took it apart for molding and cast in hydrospan for growing. But I will save the rest of that for another thread. After taking our the hydrospan pieces, I then casted an Elita-1 color figure and a Chromia figure and started to make the mods.

[​IMG]

For starters, I cut a piece of styrene and created that fin that was on the right arm of Arcee. I cut it so it would clip around the ball joint stem and still be able to pop on the gun arm. finish it up with a coat of black paint and call her done. She still transforms. Real easy stuff.

[​IMG]

Next I tackled Elita-1. From the insperation from MisfitRobot, I proceeded to cut the wheel off at the triangle shape. I took a different route by cutting the "hip" ball joint from my Chromia figure and cut the ball stem from the waist so I have the ball joint for the front of the bike. I hollowed out the front connection part that holds the screw and glued in the "hip joint" in its place. Interesting to not that the shape in side the front matches the "hip joint". I then trimed and glued the ball stem to the wheel. Once dried, I just popped it in place and it can now rotate and pivit up and down. Finished her up with some quick paint job of silver for now. She transforms just fine. Medium effort

[​IMG]

Now for the "What the Hell was I Thinking" aka Chromia figure. I have to say first off, all you out there that can create these puzzle designs are pure geniuses. I have been racking my brain on this for the last two days. I don't think there is a part on her that I did not cut, glue or mutilated. I wanted to get her as close to the movie design as possible. The more I moved the parts around, the more fustrated I got with her. I think at this point I have reached the limits of this figure design. She does not transform. If anyone has a better idea to make her, I am all ears. I know there are areas that need additional parts like the arms for sure. Also, I have an idea that the chest plate should flip open so the head can fold in and then the top wheel can then move into possition, but the parts got glued together and can't make that happen right now. I think I will cast another Chromia figure and try out those ideas and hopefully some from you all as well.

Oh and one more pic just for fun; "Searching for Sam"

[​IMG]

Update 21-JUL-10

After seeing the fantastic custom painted Legend Arcee Biker girls by mampy (you should check them out here, I wanted to go back and see about doing some more work on Chromia. I knew if I keep tinkering with it more, I could get it to a transform state as well as improve the robot mode as well. Well here is my latest attempts:

[​IMG]

As you can see, it's not very pretty, but it's as close I can get it with the parts on hand. I used a second Chromia cast to get the additional parts. The arm piece became a chest piece that flips open and the head can fit down the chest. The other thing is that I took the wheel halfs and widen the tires so that I have more area for the figure to stand on. It's like Chromia has barrowed Batman's bike tires LOL. Other things I did were lengthen the weapon by glueing two together. Some things I had no choice in doing was to put the side pannels to hold the front tire and the main body in place. Now that it is on, I am OK with it except I will now cast those parts in black to match the deluxe Chromia better along with the hand should be in black as well. I know I am forgetting something, but it is late and I wanted to get this out there tonight. Here are some more pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now if someone has a better way to go about this, I am all for it as I know I am not the expert when it comes to this type of modifications. So please, offer your thoughts.

Next I have an idea to mod the shoulder on Elita-1 to make her more movie acurate.

Update 2-9-SEP-10:

Ok, I think I have reach my creative limit with these design mods. I think I pushed myself as far as I can go with this project. Here is what I came up with.

For Elita-1, I made the gun arm into a sword arm. I carefully cut the gun free from the arm half while maintaining the screw. It now can rotate 180 degrees so the block end facing out. I cut a slit down the bun and inserted a donor sword. I glued on a piece of a lincene plate from another bike and made a lever for the sword so that it can "extend out" The other major mod I made was to seperate the two front halfs from the main body and attach them to a lever system. The front side forms the shoulder while the back side forms the hood piece.

For Chromia, all I did was sculpt some cosmetic details to the bike form. The main bike transformations was worked out in the last post.

Here are a couple of pics of the finial versions of these figures and I hope to have some more soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking and I hope to hear from you all soon.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  2. cingularman31

cingularman31 Alternator Freak

News Credits:
    Nice, I want to see these in Joe scale if you are doing them.

3. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    First off, wow

Secondly, are these the same size as the legends figure??

And third, do these mods retain the ability to transform????

4. Cycrolus

Cycrolus Herald of Primus

Ebay:
    I agree these look cool but it would be nice to see them in scale.

5. JacobPGalvatron

JacobPGalvatron Storm Trooper #1

*applause*
    Good work. They look great!

6. Lykon

Lykon Member

Ebay:
    Where did you see the vid showcasing the hydrospan?

7. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movies Fan/Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    they look awesome :D , WHy dotn you add liek pegs and hoels or something for combine them?

8. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

That's crazy man, I love my Chromia but I wish they would put some weights into these Transformers with one foot Legends Rampage cough cough.

These are amazing hopefully we will see more.

9. me!!

me!! "DOES NOT COMPUTE"

cool dude i was tinking the same thing!! but mine's gonna be transformable and able to combine ..someday..

10. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Wow. Just, Wow!

11. Soundwave_FSD

Soundwave_FSD Yoda in a track suit...

Hey! I was gonna do this with that sideways set. You made my job a bit easier.

12. Jedi_Master_Ben

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the replies so far. I am glad that this you all are liking these. Some of you had some questions or comments that I will answer up here:

You can follow the progress of the up scale Legend Arcee project here.

Yes, they are Legend size because they were cast from a mold of the legend Arcee. In fact, the Arcee pictured is the original I purchased and took apart to make the mold.

2 of them do, Arcee and Elita-1. Chromia is just a mess of parts that I want to try again and see if I can get her to a form that will. I was thinking to model the design after the HA Arcee. I figure I can sculpt the vehicle mode more acurrately and have it transform like the HA Arcee. What do you all think?

The only video I reference to was of a size comparison of the legend Arcee to Voyager Ironhide. It was because of that video I decided to go with the legend size figure verses the HA figure for the upscale project. Here is the link to the Legend Arcee Review that inspired this project:

YouTube - Transformer toy review of Revenge of the Fallen Legends Arcee

Cool, can't wait to see them. Maybe you want to share your ideas about how to make Chromia work. As for combining, I am waiting to see what the official combination that Hasbro has planned and go from there. I am sure we can add parts and pegs to make it work.

Cool, glad this was helpful in some way. As I said, the Chromia figure needs to be better engineered and I am open to any ideas to get her to work and look good.

Thanks so much for the comments so far.

13. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    WOW! I've just finished my repaints on these 3 with very slight mods and these just blow mine out of the water! Amazing work! :thumb 

Tutorials on how each was done, please! Would love to try this if you get Chromia to be transformable.

14. Jedi_Master_Ben

I just updated the first post with more pics showcasing the new changes I made to the Chromia figure:

[​IMG]

Let me know what you all think of the changes I made.

Thanks

15. garibaldiprime

garibaldiprime Banned

These look fantastic well done!

16. Insecticons

Insecticons The different Kitbasher

Man , Dat Chromia looks just Sick! Me Luvz!

17. coinilius

coinilius Well-Known Member

Wow, love what you have done with Chromia - she looks great!

18. Jedi_Master_Ben

Update 9-SEP-10:

I think I am finished with this project. I have reach my creative limits and can't think how I can make them any closer to the models. Pics and dscriptions are posted on the front page.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking and let me know what you all think.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  19. me!!

me!! "DOES NOT COMPUTE"

damn it ! you figured it out before me on how to transformchromia and much more accurate :lol  !

20. Jedi_Master_Ben

First, thanks for the comments so far.

Here are some more pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files: