LEDs

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by frenzyrumble, Feb 28, 2009.

1. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    so, I dropped a few bucks on proper LED tools:
    soldering gun, solder, etc....I see lot of potential for adding LEDs to all my customs. With a little patience and the right parts, working lights really ice the cake on a custom i feel.

Went to Radio Shack, they have a very limited selection for switches. Seems the only thing they'd have small enough would be a relay or button which needs to be pressed to turn the LED on.

Wondering if you guys know anyone online who sells VERY small switches, and / or batteries (watch type)

2. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
  3. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How hard is it to use LED's. I have proper solder training and did it all the time at my previous job. But as far as connecting to a power source and voltage, me not so smrt!!!:dunce 

4. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    It's quite difficult. You need to have ample power from the batteries and a switch or button to get those on. The hardest part about it, is getting all that small wiring and work into such a small spot.

I am (today) working on installing LED headlights and tail lights for ROTF Sideways and Sideswipe. The fender has the room for it, just a pain in the....

5. turbovf1s

turbovf1s Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    i just got a shiteload of shrinktube from amplebiz. i'm gonna try electronics with tfs a bit and see how i do :) 

6. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

i F#$%ing HATE radio shack they should be sued for false advertising as there name implies. you may like a soldering gun better than a plain iron because it is heat on demand and it does not sit there waiting to burn you like an iron does. LEDs are abundant on ebay i have seen auctions with a hundred or more sell for less than 10 bucks on ebay. the only thing one would be careful of is not buying the wrong ones. some are rated for 12 volts you dont want those. also some are dimmer/brighter than others obviously you would want the brightest ones.

7. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Thanks Ano,

I bought a soldering gun from Radio Shack, piece of SHIT. I returned it immediately. It took 5+ minutes for the tip to get hot enought to even melt the solder. CRAP. I hate that store. They also only seem to sell 5mm LEDs, which are too large. I think the best bet is the dollar store for 2mm and 3mm LEDs. Some toys there will have 4+ lights in them, though the diodes are short...

I stocked up on some on/off switches and buttons on ebay yesterday. Also, found an alternative to soldering....Conductive adhesives and expoxy. Those are commonly used for circuit boards, much easier than soldering - just glue it and seal it. Done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am still reading up on powering LEDs. It's confusing what voltage is needed for each type of LED, I've seen some 2mm I have work off a small watch battery, while others need 2 or more batteries.

I still have yet to find a on/off button source. I've found switches, but prefer buttons (click to turn on, click again to shut off)

I don't think I have the need for resistors either, from what I can see so far, resisters will reduce the voltage going to the LED, for cases where hobbiests can accommodate a 9V or 120V power source.

Also, I can't seem to find anything on this board in regards to this topic. I've found a few good tutorials on instructibles.com, but hardly any mini set ups.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  8. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
  9. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I thought the point of the resistor was the keep from frying the led from too much current when you initally make the connection.

10. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    exactly, but seeing with smaller scaled LED setups, we are using as little (smallest) power as possible. The resisters are for reducing the current from a 9V or AAA or 120V (or anything with lots of power)

11. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

that sucks on the soldering gun mine heats up in like 2 sec. it is a no name brand otherwise i would give you the name to go on. possibly it needs to be broken in i know irons have to be broken in first before they act right.

well another good source for tiny LEDs are zip zap car bodies i got a bunch of white and red tiny leds from those. as far as voltage what i do is test one first like on the leader prime i am working on it uses two AA batteries so i test all the LEDs with a tester i made from megatrons battery compartment. the only problem is the megatron tester is it turns everything evil :lol 

also on resistors i think they can be used to balance voltage between two LEDs like if you are using two differently rated kinds.

BEHOLD!! MY CYBERTRONIAN JUMP PACK :lol ​

[​IMG]

12. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    For wire and stuff like that guys, check out your local model railroad hobby shop.

A guy at work is into model railroading....he gets his L.E.D. lights and Micro Wire from this hobby store near our job.

I had him make up the light set-up on Alt Bludgeon for me, and he used the Micro Wire on that just in case you wanted to get an idea of the size of it....and from what he tells me, they have in other colors besides black.

Just and FYI :) 

13. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Also check into getting a butane powered soldering iron if your serious about adding L.E.D. lights....

I have one that I use to heat up pins for removal. I can get all four wheels and pins out of an Alt Jeep in less than 5 minutes with out any fuss.

It uses regular butane (found anywhere/same as butane fluid for lighters) all I do is turn on the gas, click the ignition lever and boom....I got heat.

14. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I have one of those already, but wanted just a simple button operated soldering gun which I can set on my work area bench and grab....

gonna try the conductive epoxy and paste though, I'd much rather just glue something into place than try to solder it.

15. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    I have a Weller Gun/trigger type unit that has two trigger controlled heat settings that heats up in seconds, and is great for quick soldering jobs as well as pin removal. it also has a built in work light.:wink: 

16. gericault

gericault Well-Known Member

For various types of small switches, which conveniently come with leds and wires, try the dollar store! I started installing lights in some of my customs; it's tricky at first but you get the hang of it....And hearing aid batteries rock! (Who knew!?)
    The fun part is buying a load of cheap dollar stuff and taking them all apart to see what you can cannibalize...

17. gericault

gericault Well-Known Member

Hey frenzy-rumble (LOVE your work, by the way; your stuff is what inspired me to stop painting lead miniatures and start painting TFs...)
    Where do you get conductive adhesives? I've been using epoxy to try and strengthen wire connections, but with mixed results when the wires have to bend...