LED vs LCD flatscreens

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Poho, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    Getting a new TV soon. What is the difference between the two other than price? Would I really be missing out if I went LCD?

2. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Trick question...

There are 2 types of LED's. Edge-Lit LED and Back-Lit (aka local dimming) LED. Edge-Lit is similar to standard LCD. Gives a bit better pop in the contrast and color, but may suffer a bit in very contrasty (black and white) scenes. Back-Lit LED is far, far superior. The Back-Lit LED's actually offer extremely deep black levels and excellent contrast. Problem is, the Back-Lit LED's are much more expensive.

If you can afford it, go with the Back-Lit LED. If not, it's kind of a toss up between Edge-Lit and standard LCD. Prices on those will be very close.

EDIT:
    Also, on Edge-Lit LED, during non-HD or low quality HD broadcasts, you may notice a tiny amount of smearing effect during fast movements. Depends on the TV and your cable provider though. You can mess with settings to try and clear that up for the most part. Low quality LCD's may have this problem as well.

3. Poho

News Credits:
    M'Kay,
    It's a tossup between:
    LG 37" LCD - $500
    Sony 40" LCD - $580
    Sony 40" Backlit LED - $850

4. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    That's not a bad price for a 40" backlit. and the Sony Bravia TV's are damn fine sets too. But at 40", the benefits of a backlit LED might be iffy. If it were 46" or larger, then I would say go with the backlit without question, but at 40", you might be perfectly fine with the LCD. Have you had a chance to see them in person to make sure you're happy with black levels and color saturation?

5. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Would also go with a 120 MHz instead of a 60 MHz

So people who wear too much makeup does'nt leave face tracers on the screen lol

6. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    All great advice from above posts! :) 

Also, there was a recent article on Yahoo that prices for flad screen TV's will drop after the holidays. No guarantee on that though, but if you're a gambler, it may pay off...or not.

I've had real bad luck with Sony products. So much so that I no longer even look at them. And they were my favorite brand for a long, long time. I have a 42" Toshiba that is absolutely stellar in picture quality and has great sound for TV speakers. And I'm looking to get a Sharp Aquos down the road as some of the models have yellow pixels along with the standard blue, green, and red. This means you'll be getting better colors. LG is a great brand as well. If you can, browse through Consumer Reports and even some of Amazon.com's buyer reviews to get a feel for what others think that actually own what you may be interested in buying. Don't let price be the end-all, be-all when buying a TV. Go for the backlit LED 120Hz, and you will be happy. Make sure it has at least 3 HDMI ports, as well as previous style Audio/Video inputs/outputs. Also, try to find out the contrast ratio, the bigger the number to one, the better. 32-37 inch is good for the average bedroom, while 40+ inch is good for the living/family room tv.

Another nice thing about LED is that they don't get hot like the older-style backlit LCD's, and they last longer.

7. Los

Los Now you see me...

Ebay:
    Agree with Chaos Muffin, go no lower than 120MHz for gaming and Blu-ray

8. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I thin LED's are more efficient than LCD's aren't they? Plus their more vibrant.

9. Poho

News Credits:
    my parents have a 47" that is 240Hz and i can't stand the motion flow. it's also impossible for me to play games on because it's so huge and the picture is so weird. How different is 120Hz from 240Hz?

10. Los

Los Now you see me...

Ebay:
    from my understanding, anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong, it has to do with the refresh rate. The higher the refresh rate the less tracing you will have (which is key in movies/games with lots of fast movements).

Poho try turning off or decreasing the 'motion flow' on your parent's set. It will help make things look less fake or weird.

11. Poho

News Credits:
    You are correct, 240Hz refers to the picture refreshing 240 times per second if I'm not mistaken. When I'm at my parents, I turn off the motion flow. I'm just wondering if the 120Hz is anything like 240Hz, because if it is, I'll stick with the 60Hz.

12. Los

Los Now you see me...

Ebay:
    Any 240Hz is going the be a entirely different tv than one that is 120 or 60. If you are comparing LED to LCD definitely get 120 for LED to get your moneys worth. But if you are going LCD then get 120 for bluray/gaming or 60 for regular tv.

13. Starkenator

Starkenator Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  14. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Turn off the motion flow, auto-motion plus, or whatever the set is calling it, completely. You'll get a much more natural experience that you're looking for, especially with broadcast hd. The refresh rate has nothing to do with that. It's only refreshing the screen faster to decrease smearing.

15. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I bought a 36 inch Sony Bravia LED flatscreen and I'm still trying to figure out how to fix the pixelation problem around certain HD fonts and HD images.

Also my Motionflow is weird. I play games with subtitles on, and games like Call of Duty Black Ops present odd problems like if the camera pans about the subtitles on the screen become very blurry so I have to turn the motionflow off. While other games do the opposite. Never been able to get it right.

I say go for the more expensive option if you can. I went with the middle ground route and actually regret it.

16. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Check the advanced options of the TV. Samsungs and most Sony's should have an option to adjust how the motion flow processes the frames. With Samsung's, the Automotion has 4 different processing setting. But if you set the Samsung TV processing to "Dynamic" you won't be able to adjust it.

17. Poho

News Credits:
    So, I'm not gonna be suffering a giant quality fail if I go for the LG 37" LCD?

18. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Do you know the model number? Just want to make sure you're not getting a budget model with poor picture quality.

EDIT:
    A quick glance around at the available 37" LG LCD's tells me you should perhaps spring for one of the other models. According to multiple reviews, colors are good, but black levels can suffer, especially when viewing in dark rooms. Speakers are apparently really sub-par.

19. Poho

News Credits:
    Thanks Joe. sounds like i'm getting a Sony!