Customs: LED Sources?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Terrorcon_King, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Terrorcon_King

Terrorcon_King Has Gone Transmetal

News Credits:
    I have a bunch! of projects that are in need of LED's
    Ex. ROTF Fallen

any sites where i can find some?

2. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
  3. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    I tend to go for lots like this: 30pcs 3mm 3000mcd LED Lamp Ultra Bright Red LEDs DIY - eBay (item 170354895433 end time Jul-10-09 09:45:17 PDT)

Just buy them well ahead of time when you get close to running out, can take up to 2 weeks to arrive!

I will pirate dollar store toys (mostly for switches and battery holders) but prefer to use new when I can.

I also use SMT LEDs, it's the only way to get into those tight spaces, but next to impossible to solder unless you practice a lot (and curse a lot more!)

SMT= Surface Mount Technology. The LEDs used in ROTF Skids' headlights, for example are 1.2mm x .8mm x .6mm and just as bright as 3mm!

4. MacrossFA19

MacrossFA19 That son of a bitch!!!

Ebay:
    I always just bought all my shit at radio shack.

And couldn't agree more, the Cursing while soldering.

Any names of dollar store stuff to look for? In means of switches and battery holders? I stop by at dollar general every so often(plenty of crap there for bashes) but I never can find anything that is actually "useable" for LED's.

Mac

5. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Dollar Tree is the one I hit. At the moment they have a two pack of LED spinning tops. Great, they come with batteries, and a nice little PCB with the LED, a slider switch and battery holder. You can hack up the board and have a nice little battery holder. Desolder the switch and led and you are good to go. I believe Timshinn's ravage used the setup I described, and shows a pretty good pic of it in his thread.

Here's a pic of Timshinn's Ravage, the device in the middle is the guts from the top.
    TFW2005 - The 2005 Boards

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  6. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    that light board tim used is the same one i used. I simply soldered the wires to the strips which led to the original LED, then twisted the wires around the LED pins.