LED and Sound Gimmicks = Too Intrusive?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Xaddion, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Xaddion

Xaddion ...

News Credits:
    I've heard from some people lately that The Leader and Ultra Class figures shouldn't have LED and Sounds because it's too intrusive in the transformation.

What are your views on it?

2. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    Well, even the designers admitted that Jetfire was a headache when factoring in the electronics. I'd rather see them gone for a better transformations, but some have used it without interfering with the figure, ala Universe Onslaught

3. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Yes. Don't think I've seen a figure in years that had light and sound effects that wouldn't have been better without them.

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Completely agree.
    Offhand I can think of 2 "recent" figures I have that have been enhanced by light/sound gimmicks: Omega Prime from RID, and Air Attack Optimus Primal.
    Omega Prime's gimmicks are excelently blended in, especially on Ultra Magnus with the way the sound effects change depending on where you plug his weaponry in. The sound gimmicks in AAOP were excellent, especially the way the in-flight noises change as you angle the figure. Of course on the other hand the punching action on his arm (with sound effect, of course) really harmed that arm's articulation. Getting Garry Chalk to record the dialogue was an excellent touch too (something which I think helped ROTF Leader Prime when they did it, and REALLY harded ROTF Jetfire when they didn't).
    Other than that, the only figures I can think of that have genuinely benefitted from their sound & light gimmicks were the G2 Laser Rods.

5. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Now that you mention RID, I think Scourge/Black Convoy, would've actually benefitted just a little if the light was left in the fist of that mold, as it was in Laser OP.

I personally think, if a gimmick is going to intrude on a figure in anyway, it should not be used, because more often tan not it actually takes that fun away from the figure if it is not implemented correctly.

6. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes they are intrusive, but they are absolutely nessecary to justify the cost of the figures to parents & appeal to kids, so we either deal with it or find a Japanese toy line with $100 & up figures to collect.

7. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I don't mind them when they're well integrated, but they shouldn't feel like they have to include them when it's obviously setting the figure back.

8. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    However, if the electronic crap wasn't in the figures they wouldn't cost as much as they do in the first place, the gimmickry is part of what drives the cost of them up.

I really could do without them myself. They rarely add anything to a figure to make up for what is usually lost.

I mean hell, look at Roll Out Command Prime from Animated or Ultimate Bumblebee.

9. Chewiechuy

Chewiechuy I hear voices in my head.

I am Optimus Prime! I am Optimus Prime! I am Optimus Prime! I am Optimus Prime! I am Optimus Prime!

10. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:

These. I just gutted a Universe Hardhead/Onslaught I his electronics are made up of a single PCB and a few wires. And it did the same thing the leaders did. Light up two leds ,firing noises, sirens and the transformation sound. Where as ROTF LDR Optimus only has one light and one phrase and the transforming sound effect but it's twice the wires and AA instead of AAA batteries. These are essentially doing the same thing. But why do leaders need a bigger PCB and twice as many wires? :inquisiti 

11. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

You know what I'd prefer? If Hasbro made a version of those old sound effect keyrings loaded with TF sound effects instead of generic gunfire sounds. Kids could still have all the transforming and gun noises they need, plus it would cut down the cost of Ultra and Leader figures, making them that bit easier to sell. New variations could come out with each line, updating the voice clips to the relevant show or series. The only downside is we wouldn't be able to force MISB collectors to open their toys any more.

12. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YES. AAOP always comes to mind when I think of the scant few TFs that have actually benefitted by having electronics.

Wouldn't mind seeing that mold pop up again sometime, but there's not a ton outside of Optimus Primal you can do with a giant gorilla Transformer. :lol 

Apeface?

13. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    Least it's not Batman, that guy never shuts up.

I think electronics should go byebye, they do no good at all. Who wants to hear poorly recorded audio of a siren or what a shut in designer thinks a jet sounds like?

Lose the electronics, drop the prices, everyone walks away happy.

14. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Or as Hasbro translated it...

Optimus Prime! Optimus Prime! Optimus Prime! Optimus Prime! Optimus Prime!

15. wgoodman

wgoodman Big Bot

The interview that was just posted from the designers talked about the limitations that electronics, wires, speaker, and batteries place on the design of the toy form and transformation. I'd love to see what could be done if they had free reign on a leader sized toy.

16. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd be happier without them.

They're obnoxious AND don't stay on long enough to actually enjoy.

If say leader prime's eyes lit up and or his headlights turned on and I could switch them on and off with a switch, or at least hold down the switch like with the MP figures with lights that would be MUCH better.

Instead what we get is, I am optimus prime or I am megatron with a rave going in inside their chest that has zero relation to anywhere that would make sense to light up.

If the figures didn't have lights/sounds, I'd never miss them. But if they insist on doing them I wish they'd at least do them well.

17. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So question to those who know that is slightly on topic- what is the effect of a battery like the ones used in current leaders over the course of years if not removed?

18. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Sadly I think that many of the toys that are now getting those gimmicks are getting bunged up because of having to drop in a sound box. You just end up with this large chunk of toy that can't change. Worst case is you end up with a huge backpack and an Ultra with the articulation/transformation of a Basic. Silverbolt, I'm looking right at you.

19. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hated LED and sound gimmicks as a kid and I hate them now. They take away from playability.

20. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Perhaps, but most kids enjoy light & sound gimmicks(I must admit, sometimes my inner child gets a bit giddy when I activate the electronics on a leader class toy) and since kids are the primary demographic, they get what they want. It's also possible the retailers have a hand in this and oloy want toys with electronics beyond a certian price range.