Leaving the hobby?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Nyarlahotep, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Nyarlahotep

Nyarlahotep Radicon Scourge

Ebay:
    Has anyone on the boards left the hobby of collecting, but stuck around for the community or do they go hand in hand?

Over the past few months my collection has been weighing me down. I keep it at work and I had to move desks recently and it took a long time boxing everything up and then moving it to my new location. Setting everything up again afterwards has been a long and arduous task, and has taken a toll on my enthusiasm for collecting anything more.

I actually went through what I had and sold a large portion of my collection, and many figures I had never considered selling before have found new homes. After they were all out of my house I almost felt relieved they were gone and that a small weight had been lifted.

I can afford the hobby, and really love having them around, but sometimes I wonder why I do it at all. Once you get down to it they are just molded plastic and can no way give me the same satisfaction as traveling or having a new experience. If I were to sell the remainder of my collection I could fund a diving trip, or plane tickets to go to some distant part of the world. Which would you rather have?

I've noticed many people in the B/S/T thread are dumping their entire collections (at least more than usual) and I don't think it's a coincidence.
    I'd love it if you guys would weigh in on your experiences with this. I'm definitely feeling conflicted.

2. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Fortress Maximus!

News Credits:
    ^It can sometimes get to me too, all this uncertianty for the love for what is essentially, like you put it, moulded plastic toys. And yes, life is not all about what you gain in terms of buying transformers and the hobby as a whole but dont ever forget to make room for personal and life experiences. IMHO, dont completely leave the hobby, dude, just take time off and get things done, and who knows when the chips are down, or when you need a good 'pick me up', then maybe your toys and passion for the hobby might just be the thing that will make you feel better. :) 

3. LifePincher

LifePincher BBTS is the SOURCE!

I hear ya' Pilgrim. Some here call me an Elitist, but HELL......... to stay in the G1 game, I sold all my Alternaters but Smokescreen, and put that money toward G1. Helped me buy my Fort Max :D 

4. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    At one point I sold off my entire collection of well over a thousand TF's yet stayed on the boards just to keep up with all the new stuff. That ended up being a huge mistake as within this past year and a half I've pry acquired another 150-200 bots once again.

5. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    I like what good ol WS-X suggested. I think it happens to all of us. Just take a break, step back, and reassess later. I know I've done it a few times myself, and I'm always happy I didn't completely quit once I got back to it. :) 

6. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is great advice.

7. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    Im sure one day ill stop collecting the toys (even though i havent really started) but ill probably keep watching the shows and reading the comics

8. [Wing_Saber-X]

News Credits:
    ^right back atcha' dude. :) 

^agree with Hyperoptic wholeheartedly. :) 

9. knobbycon

knobbycon logorrheic egghead

I sold off a large portion of my collection years ago to pursue music and ...errr... 'experiences'. Since I've settled down and have less time for more active hobbies, especially since I've decided to work towards another degree that eats all of my time, collecting has become a fairly satisfying way of whiling away the hours. I mostly just lurk here (way too much complaining for my tastes), but just being here certainly fuels my TF lust.

While I would say sit on the idea a while, purging yourself of material items is mighty gratifying. I've had to purge recording/audio gear from time to time (an extremely expensive hobby), and it's nice to be shed of these things, gain the space and the cash, and have less upkeep of silly material goods. The more stuff you own, the more it owns you, etc. Maybe just keep one box of the items you like most?

10. Wikkid

Wikkid Semi-retired customizer

I sold everything this year but kept my small Geewun collection. I don't think they'll fetch enough money to replace what they mean to me in terms of nostalgia value.
    I also sold my entire customs collection only to get back into building months later. I tried other things but kitbashing is how I unwind at the end of the day.

11. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've actually started feeling bored with my collection. I don't do anything with it really outside of it sitting on shelves, and taking up space. I barely even touch them other than to clean them. I guess I'm in a similar boat as those in the bst area where I'm feeling not just the need, but the want to sell off what I've got left, which isn't really much, but it would be nice to have a much better car than what I've got right now.

12. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    Hmmm last night, I was thinking what if I sold most of my Bumblebee collection and retained just the G1/G2 ones and movieverse Legends, just to save on space. But I got sad when I thought of my MP/Battle Ops and favorite Deluxes.

13. Snaptrap

Snaptrap Field Commander

I’m considering selling off a ton of my collection, Commemorative Series, Takara reissues, random others, but that’s more because of my focus on a Classics G1 set and secondly, shelf space.

14. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Personally I do what WSX does, and just take a break and refocus on what I really want. I think it'd be very difficult to leave the hobby and still stay within the community. That Plastic Crack has ways of luring you back when you hear/see it everyday ;) 

15. Nyarlahotep

Nyarlahotep Radicon Scourge

Ebay:
    This is all really great advice and I appreciate you guys taking the time to weigh in. I did just re-open a box I had packed up a while ago and it was almost like getting them for the first time. While I don't see myself selling ALL of them, I think trimming the fat and letting go of those which I can bare to sell has been a healthy step forward towards cooling off...at least for a while. It's definitely given me a lot to think about, and you guys are great for sharing your experiences with me.

16. beanman

beanman Not a Decepticon

News Credits:
    I think it's perfectly normal to reach a point where real life comes knocking and you need a break - maybe reassess the figures that you want to keep and pare down the collection some.

I recently have sold my MP and Commemorative reissues and am now solely focused on G1.

17. [Wing_Saber-X]

News Credits:
    Glad to be of some help, dude. :) 

^:D 

18. ang3l3s

ang3l3s Sixshot

I once sold off everything and got back into it and trimmed down again, i find being on the forums can get you entailed in the hype and then you have more than you really want. I now double check what i have and try to sell what i don't love and keep what really moves me.Just so you know there are quite a few figures i sold and ended up buying them again cause i ended up missing them. Are they plastic ? yes! But trips become just memories and cars new or old are just money pits. What matters to you??? Materialism is our ego and once we can put the ego aside and just keep what really moves us then the better off we are. Just my 2 cents

19. JukeOutlander

JukeOutlander Combat Antihero

News Credits:
    Depends on what your priority at the moment is, I suppose.

20. mmhand

mmhand Well-Known Member

I actually leave the hobby and come back on a regular basis. I like variety so I change things up. One month I will really be into Transformers while the next month may be all about video games. I find that rotating through my interests keeps each one from becoming a chore.

Additionally, I have become much more skilled in curbing my collecting urges so as I do not buy every tformer that seems cool. Only the ones that are truly special (ie, masterpiece figures, 3rd party).