Leave the missles "cocked" in the launchers?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by kllrwlf, Nov 30, 2006.

1. kllrwlf

kllrwlf Well-Known Member

How many of you keep the missles in the launchers?

Any of them shoot out after time? The spring get weaker after time?

I have a habit of removing all shooting items and putting them in a small ziplock bag, labeled and put away.

2. TSFC

TSFC Banned

I leave 'em in. I like to display them as though they were on sale in a store. All fancy like.

Some weapons actually look better with the projectiles in, so I might superglue them.

Hmm...

3. $5HotRod

$5HotRod Trailbreaker Fan

Ebay:
    I keep mine cocked and no, none have ever launched by themselves; however, now that I wrote that, I probably jinxed myself and all the launchers will go off all at once.

Do the springs get weaker over time? Yes, if you keep using them over and over again. It depends upon how much you cycle them meaning compressing and uncompressing. Keeping them compressed may cause them to lose some "springiness" but I doubt they'll break.

4. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

I always place the missle in the launcher, but not far enough to compress the spring.

5. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have missiles in launchers from RiD. Never gone off once.

6. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My energon jetfire gun gave out about half way through the line and wouldn't cock the missle any more. Fortunately a replacement jetfire was cheap enough by the end of the line :D 

7. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I've never had a problem with the springs weakening, except for Energon Jetfire, but it came that way. I leave all the projectiles in

8. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Same for me so I make it a point to handle my TFs carefully. Some TF's weapons look better with the missles in place.

9. BowB4Prime

BowB4Prime arse dimples

i leave some in and take some out..... it all depends on how they look, and how easy they are to shoot,like if i go to move something or grab one and they fire.... some look better in while some look better withought...like unicron doesnt have his in......and cybertron crosswise... then theres some i dont even leave there weopons on, like cybertron downshift and clocker, and others like cybertron landmine its part of the gun and stuff on the show

only missile that ever fired on its own was universe arcee, and i have yet to find that POS

10. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I keep my missiles in too, every now and then the cat will decide to jump up on my shelf, knock a TF over and cause a chain reaction - then missiles go a'flying.

11. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

It depends on how the weapon looks with a missile in it if I leave it in. If it's one of those retarded "flame" missiles, I always just chuck it into the weapon box. Yeesh I hate those things!

12. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    yeah, i basically store the accessories away. at least until i get cabinets with glass doors.

13. JD

JD Well-Known Member

I've lost many as a result of leaving them in, so I to try to keep separate. Though it'll never bring back Primus' :( 

14. PrimeConvoy

PrimeConvoy ShickaBAM!

I keep mine in and some, but I do have a few figures that now have auto-launch. A missle on each side if Unicron legs does it and my TM2 Cyberchark does too, I've come and learn about him when he auto-shot me in the eyeball and you know what, it hurt like a bitch...

15. asphalt

asphalt King of the road

Ebay:
    never have had a problem, but I have added extra springs for a little extra oomph.

16. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As painful a cleanup as that'd be...you gotta admit it'd look pretty cool.

17. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Unless the gun looks really cool with the missle in place (or in the case of Classics Starscream, looks like the gun it's supposed to be - maybe I'll glue those ones) I take them all out. I hate missles.

And yeah, especially those "fire" missles.

I grew up right around the time that they were removing firing missles from toys for safety reasons. I remember when the Battlestar Galactica Vipers stopped having firing missles. Maybe I feel this way because during this formative age, there weren't many missle toys around, but I think it goes deeper than that.

I think I just generally hate gimmick toys. My association with spring-loaded toys was always toys that were missing bits, Shogun Warriors with missing hands, etc... Plus, molded guns always felt cooler and more detailed than oversized tubes with big orange warheads sticking out. I mean how many times can you shoot this gun before reloading? Once? Laaaame! :) 

I felt much the same way about anything that needed batteries. For me, batteries just meant a couple of weeks of some weak feature (annoying laser sounds or maybe rigid "walking action"... please!) that made the toy more delicate and expensive, and after the batteries wore out the first time, they would never again be replaced. I do admit that some empty battery hatches made for cool secret storage panels on some toys (like my Star Wars AT-AT).

Since then, I've started to appreciate spring-loaded stuff and other gimmicks, in that gimmicky 6-year-old way that meant absolutely nothing to me when I actually was a 6-year-old. :) 

zmog

18. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

I used to leave them in until my LioConvoy that's sitting on top of my computer room's entertainment center, shot me in the head.

19. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I keep mine in the launchers, too. So far I've only had three that have ever shot off on their own, Cybertron Landmine, Cyb Megatron, and Beast Wars Metals Convoy (Japanese TM Optimus Primal). But I haven't had any trouble with them in awhile.

20. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Oh, and here's an anecdote about one of those spring-loaded toys that I love just because it's so just plain... WRONG. :) 

Yes, I'm thinking of the ridiculous phallic nightmare that is Beast Wars 2 Galvatron. I know he's supposed to transform into a... er... "dragon", and one of those drill-tank things that don't exist in real life, but seem to exist in every japanese sci-fi show... but to me he's always been the perfect expression of the difference between Japanese kids toys and US kids toys. BW2 Galvatron is like the lavender Lovecraftian, insectoid, bifurcated-penis/war-machine/barbed sex toy of DOOM!! A testament to just how deeply psycho-sexual tension is ingrained into the psyche of a whole country... he puts Heinlad's techno-balls and Tetsuo the Iron Man to shame!

But I digress... to the unwary, he is also the spring-loaded eyeball gouger of doom. The firing pincer-axe-missles from his tail are reasonably well-camouflaged and there is something in particular about his transformation that makes them especially deadly. The first time I pulled him out of the package and tried to transform him (without instructions, as is my custom), I narrowly missed being struck by the pincer-missle that whistled past my right temple, propelled by a hardy spring. My reaction was "Awesome... this toy is SO dangerous!" :) 

Since then, I've put that toy into two other peoples hands, and in both cases, the EXACT SAME THING happened. They were trying to seperate the tail halves and unwittingly hit the hidden triggers, which are just in the spot you'd most likely grab to transform it, and ZING! Pincer missle makes a grab for their right eyeball! One friend managed to dart his head out of harm's way, a look of amazement on his face, while another took the shot full on his eyebrow. Even aware as I am, I've accidentally triggered those missles just about every time I've pulled Galvatron out to transform him. That thing is just vicious!

The best part is that I just recently was storing the box for Galvy, and noticed the choking hazard warnings printed on it (you know... those little "pac-man" icons that Japanese toys have), and there it is... a little warning icon showing a dotted-line missle hitting some poor round-headed kid smack in the right eye!

They warned us, but we didn't hear!! :) 

ZMOG