Least favorite TF gimmick

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Midnight, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

Im not fond of minicons.
    There I said it,and while im at it,planet keys are also pretty lame too.

I just dont like that I need these things to transform or activate weapons on toys like Primus or Unicron when a button would be way better.

Oh,and I dont like rub stickers either.Heat stamped insignias work great and I love the insignias molded into the toy too like on master piece primes shoulder.

2. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd have to go with Headmasters. If you lose a targetmaster, or a mini-con, or something, you still have a playable toy, those aren't necessary. But if you lose the little headmaster guy, you have a useless robot body.

Also, Pretenders kind of sucked.

3. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

yeah,i have alot of headless robots cuz of that very reason actually.

4. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

To be honest, if you don't like having to plug a Minicon in to work something on a TF, it's not usually that difficult to disable it. For the most part, I've found that Minicons usually just counteract the catch that stops you from performing the function, rather than actually activating it. That's what I did to my Smokescreen; simply by removing the blue button (from inside the Minicon post) in the crane arm, I'm now able to extend the boom with or without a Minicon attached.
    If you don't like Minicons, I take it you weren't a fan of Powermasters either? Since they (at least theoretically) actually required the mini-fig to transform them.

I will concur, though, that Cyber Keys drive me nuts, which is why I've similarly tried to rig all my Cybertron figures with button-activated gimmicks.

I can see why Headmasters can be a problem for the same reason, but I like 'em. But then I like Minicons, too (or at least the ones that are good figures in their own right, gimmick or not).

I also love rubsigns, and actually buy Reprolabel versions for my more recent figs. I only like to have normal faction insignias in robot mode, so I use rubsigns to provide an optional insignia in altmode that be revealed as and when required.

Powermasters were a nice concept (albeit with potentially sketchy fiction reasoning), but were limited by the design techniques and technology of the time.
    Similarly Action Masters (non-transforming figs, with action-figure-level articulation) would have been fantastic if we hadn't discovered just a couple of years later that it was practical to make fully-transforming figures with even better articulation. It's basically G2 and its ilk that ruined our view of Action Masters, IMO.

[edit] What about the much-maligned Energon Powerlinx gimmick? Again, it was a good idea in my opinion, but unfortunately it too frequently compromised the quality of the standalone figure. [/edit]

5. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hmm i thought they were a cool concepts back in the day but now that you mention it, i dun think so anymore...

Good point bro :thumbs2: 

6. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

i liked hotshots vehicle mode but i think he suffered in robot mode cuz of this.
    i usualy love combiners but you have a point.

7. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't like Powerlinx gimmick at all. Thanks to that I dislike most of Energon Autobot figures. I also lost most of Energon Stars :( 

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'd say Energon stars. The weapons were cool, since you could give them to everyone and they had lots of holes for them. The stars were pointless, ugly and very easy to lose.

9. ChErikS

ChErikS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Have to go with Pretenders. The shells looked terrible in most cases and severely limited any potential quality in the figures they held.

10. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:

ditto

11. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Pretenders. Ugly, unposable shells. Ugly, worthless figures.

12. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've never liked combiners at all. The only exception was Predaking, and that's only because he actually looked good in combined mode. Any other combiners looked like vehicles stuck on a robot skeleton to me. Very little playability, all gimmick. No thanks.

Minicons are growing on me, but not enough to actually want to go out and buy them all. Maybe a few, just for the aesthetics of some of the nicer ones.

Keys and anything A/E/C - pass. It seemed as though that whole series was a gimmick-based nightmare.

Another gimmick - automorph. Works well sometimes, fails totally other times.

13. dilectus

dilectus Well-Known Member

Cyber keys are the absolute worst if you ask me. Whoever came up with that idea should have been fired. Can't hold a gun unless you jam a key in a toy's back? Seriously? Why can't the basic functions of this toy work without having to keep around a stupid key?

Second is the "spark of combination" nonsense. They never looked good combined, and all their individual robot mades seemed to suffer at least a little.

Rubsigns don't bother me but I do think they are pretty unnecessary. Painted-on faction symbols are much better.

Pretenders kinda sucked too.

I actually liked the minicon gimmick. Most of them didn't look cool, but it was worth it for the few that did. My favorite is the one who came with Armada Jetfire. That is, if you don't count Vector Prime's targetmaster as a minicon.

14. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I guess my biggest thing is a big obvious button on a transformer.

Also I don't like combiner kibble. Like heads, fists, arms, etc. Energon sorta did a good job, but the hands/feet were pretty bad. All those G1 combiner feet/hands...especially devastator.

15. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

I know I'll be flamed, but I'd have to say beast modes. I prefer technology - cars, jets, tanks, etc.

16. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Toss up between Pretenders and Headmaster.

Pretenders was an interesting idea, but they were all about 90% the same damn thing. No difference. The shells were fairly neat designs, but the inside figures were super simple and most sucked.

But Headmasters were another cool concept but the fact the heads could get lost so easily was what really sucked. Nice to have a new idea like this, but it really sucks when you loose an important part like the HEAD!

17. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I'll throw in with the Automorph/Autobreak gimmick.

I wouldnt have minded the Cyberkeys if more figures had somewhere to store them when you didn't want to activate the gimmick. Thundercracker annoyed me so much because you couldn't store the key in jet mode because it would flip the top of the jet up. A few did have separate key storage, I just wish they all had.
    Also, didn't love having that big key thing needed for transforming Primus, especially because, once again, there was nowhere to store it apart from the slot which activated the lights.

Minicons would've been a better idea if their holes were different shapes so you could only use certain ones with certain figures of matching peg shape. I was very disappointed to find the pegs and holes were universal.

18. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Automorph.

Its pointless, having Transformers toys that transform themselves. Takes away half the fun! And most of the time it doesn't even work right!

19. DELTAsnake

DELTAsnake Decepticon

News Credits:
    I have to say Powermasters are the worst, if your like me and lost the Nebulon partner, in my case Hi-Q for Optimus Prime you could not get the transformer back in robot mode without breaking the tabs that hold him in vehical mode.

20. Pride21

Pride21 Honor Wisdom Virtue

Pretty much any gimmick really. For some reason I feel that a gimmick takes away from the playability of the figure. The best example that comes to mind was powerlinking from energon.