Least favorite (movie line) gimmicks

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NGW, May 12, 2011.

1. The Bucket Kitten

The Bucket Kitten Meow... TFW2005 Supporter

None of the gimmicks are my least favorite, but they only bother me on certain figures. Recon Ironhide's feet transformation for example.

2. robowarrior

robowarrior Arcee's BF

News Credits:
    The MechTech deal varies on the figure. I picked up DOTM Voyager Optimus Prime yesterday and the MechTech blaster he comes with is not that bad, looks big and spiffy but overall it's not a bad touch to the figure, but again, I do agree with almost everyone on the board about MechTech, it's not all that great, plus the figures itself have lost a lot of touch into them, I compared my new DOTM OP versus the HFTD Battle Blade OP and what a big difference in playability and looks.. MechAlive I found it to be like "WTF?"... pointless IMO...didn't even pay attention to that..

3. iTeruri

iTeruri Bulkhead is the best

The weapons are part of the figure. The figures aren't smaller, because the bot + weapon is the same as previous non-mechtech bots.

4. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't mind the peg holes either. They are engineered so that they aren't giant gaping holes in the alt mode. Put a weapon there or don't. To my mind they vastly increase playability and display options.

If you consider "Stealth Force" to be a third mode, they just made everybody a triple-changer!

I also don't think the big guns have anything to do with "simplicity." They just made a conscious decision not to make another Leader Prime or Mixmaster.

5. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    No, they are an accessory. An accessory that has to be budgeted in with the figure itself. As such part of the cost that would normally go into the development, detailing, paint, plastic used, etc. for the figure now has to go towards the included weapon, resulting in a lackluster figure and a stupid gun.

6. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    With how specific the thread title is coupled with how some of you guys don't like the new gimmick (Just how some of you guys didn't like mech alive or automorph), this thread comes off as just a way to talk about how bad the mechtech stuff is.....

So far most of the figures seem to be perfectly fine. I haven't seen any DotM figure in the feedback section get a negative review because of the mechtech weapon. In fact, most of them have gotten pretty good word of mouth, like Sentinel, Shockwave, Roadbuster, Topspin, Crankcase, Megatron, etc, etc, etc.

If there anything was WAS wrong it had more to do with certain design choice. Not the gimmick.

7. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    It's interesting that these two tie for the least favorite. Mech Tech appears to have the greatest affect on the toys, while Mech Alive appears to have the least affect...

8. syclonefs

syclonefs Rogue-Prime

News Credits:
    I'd say the Mech Tec weopons for Deluxe toys are stupid not because of what they are its because they don't lock in place like voyagers. why make the voyagers lock in place and not deluxe. y u make no cents????? hasbro

9. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Bloodsail Admiral

Like i said in my prior post i had no experience with mechtech yet until now! I was out at my walmart to get some french fries for dinner and i found 1 peg of deluxes bumblebee skids ratchet and Screamer. I got screamer and i now have an opinion on mechtech and i still do not think its the worse movie gimmick rather i think its the best.
    I will say right away the weapons are without a doubt big and as a result obtrusive to the figures aesthetics. That being said they are fun to fiddle with. Starscream's combing cannon swords are just fun on their own and i think they add a lot of play value. So based on my prior post i maintain that automorph is the worst gimmick based on the reasons i highlighted there.

10. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

automorph ruined rotf whirl for me so i'm not to fond of it

11. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    The weapons are a part of the total package, which consists of figure and weapon. Therefore if the same amount of plastic goes into the total package as before, it must now be at the expense of the figure.

Tell that to voyager Ironhide.

12. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    This! and automorph a close second.

13. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    MECH TECH. Oh god Mech Tech. Then Automorph.

I don't see the problem with Mech Alive. Think about it. Think hard. How did Mech Alive ruin the toy? It was built into it and often than not added to the look, or was unnoticeable. I have the majority of the ROTF line, so I know where I'm coming from here.

With Mech Tech, an amount of the budget that could've went into the toy went into the weapon. This means a lack of paint job and smaller deluxe/voyagers. They're also as horrible looking as the goddamn big ass missile launchers from the Rise of Cobra line. I threw all of them away. I can immediately see the WORST offenders are Crankcase, Barricade, Skyhammer, and Bumblebee. The Wreckers I can stomach but I realize that the budget that went in there could've been put into paint apps.

IF Mech Tech was smaller and more imaginative, I would be fine. Say, like Leader Sentinel. His Mech Tech shield is not only in scale, but is rather awesome and appropriate, as well as being in scale with the character. THAT is how Mech Tech should've been done.

14. Sideways77

Sideways77 #1 flareup simp

News Credits:
    Well, gimmicks that ruin the figure. Like Blackout, Grindor, Whirl, Evac, and Incinerator.

And most of the Mechtechs.

15. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Transcanning was another pretty stupid gimmick. At least Takara only did 2 of them.

16. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    These!

17. TheBeastman

TheBeastman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Easily mech-tech. Remember those cool things they came out with a while ago, they were accessories, but they were still cool and transformed.Oh...what were they called, oh yeah, MINI CONS! Not a stupid gun that I cant use when it wears out the ball joint, turns displays into messes, and a majority of kids will lose 5 minutes after having a toy. And I dont enjoy random holes in my toys so I can stick a gun on a car hood. Did we really need to make these more appealing to kids? They love the toys anyway cause of the movie.

Mech Alive didnt do much but make figures look a bit more interesting, and Automorph didnt work very well, but the engineering is well used in more recent toys.

18. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Automorph- A bunch of tiny gear waiting to get stripped!

19. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    I think it interferes with size and nothing more. In Jolt's case, the arms and head not pegging is just baffling, but I don't think the mechtech weapon is to blame for that one... I mean, the guy has flip out C-clip bars on his arms, a nice and totally unneeded extra detail. I just don't get how they did something like that and NOT having important stuff peg in like his shoulders.

I'd say this particular example was just a brainfart from the designer.

20. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ding-ding-ding-ding!

Which lackluster figure again? It's fairly remarkable how well-reviewed this line is so far. Probably the least-liked figures overall are Optimus (any, pick one) and Voyager Ironhide, and even they aren't getting outright trashed.

Sigh. I knew there was ONE exception that wasn't coming to mind. Add it to the dozen reasons why I'm not buying Voyager Ironhide.