Least favorite (movie line) gimmicks

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NGW, May 12, 2011.

1. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I gotta go with mechtech.

Now while automorph could be detrimental to a figure at times (such as with the voyager Blackout mold), the majority of the time it just kept to itself and looked kinda cool.

Mechtech on the otherhand is a linewide gimmick that hurts the vast majority of the line in a way none of the others have.

All of the figures come with these stupid, giant, ugly ass weapons, the majority looking just AWFUL when just pegged onto the vehicle mode of a figure, and seem far too big when held/wielded on robot mode. Damn near the only ones that really pull it off well are Megatron and Shockwave and that's because their integral parts of the figure.

But on top of that, they have to budget these stupid guns into the figure itself. And what does that lead to? Less money to spend on the actual toy. So we end up with smaller figures with less paint apps and less detail. No wonder so many figures from this line just seem really fucking unappealing, a good portion of the money that should have gone into THEIR development went into making stupid accessories. Just think, if we didn't have mechtech then maybe, just maybe, they could have afforded to give Jolt something for his shoulders to peg into.

2. AMG

AMG Old School

Same here for all the reasons you mentioned.

3. iTeruri

iTeruri Bulkhead is the best

For me it's mech-alive. Doesn't really add anything to the figures.

I do like Mech-Tech so far and really like automorph when it's done well.

4. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    AFAIK, only Automorph actually ruins a figure when it goes wrong. So it's gotta be that.

I bear a slight grudge against MechTech for introducing the loudest and most pathetic wailing over tiny size differences that I've ever had to endure. Other than that, I think it's pretty neat, since it affects the figure as a whole less than Automorph and Mech Alive and it inspires some pretty frakkin' creative weapon combinations. It adds a lot to playability. It's also often film-accurate--we have already seen that Bumblebee's, Megatron's, and Shockwave's are pretty solid on this score.

Mech Alive might be my favorite overall in principle, but I feel it compromised the design of a few figures (Starscream, Long Haul). It's the same as Automorph...it should be used when it's cool and it works, not as part of a line-wide thing.

5. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    I just wish MechTech could lock when it's completely 'folded out'. Mech-Alive is the stupidest, but it doesn't detract much from the toy.

6. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    MECHTECH, not only did it hinder the figure like most gimmicks do, it made the figures simpler and smaller.....epic fail.

When will they learn that TRANSFORMING IS THE GIMMICK.

7. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Some automorphs and Mech alives. Not all of them of course, but some of them were just a hindrance. Also voice and light I guess, but that's not movie exclusive.

I like some mechtech weapons and dislike others, but at least they don't interfere in the engineering of the main figure (apart from overall size of course)

8. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    I actually like mechtech, not a huge fan of the weapons themselves, I just like that the gimmick is separate from the actual figure.

I really am not fond of mechalive or the automorph stuff (I want to transform it myself).

9. tb-1599

tb-1599 Well-Known Member

Mechtech for me especially in alt mode unless its something that could carry a weapon. Like a Helicopter.

10. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I think it's a case-by-case thing. Overall I loved automorph and mech alive. I think it's so cool to be able to turn some toys' arms and legs and see the movement inside elsewhere...

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Allspark power, followed by Automorph. On anything else it works great, but with the hyper intricate designs of the movie figures it just getsi in the way where much simpler, smalller joints would work fine.

MechTech is awesome, and Mech Alive really started to wind down.

12. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Presumably it means less parts per deluxe as well. There's also those ugly peg holes.

Automorph could be very impressive, but some of the more ambitious figures jammed.

Mech Alive was a fun idea, but very few figures integrated it well. My favourite was probably voyager Starscream. TF1 Scorponok also had an excellent example of what was later called Mech Alive. On deluxe Sideswipe we got sliding knee-caps. What was the point in that.

13. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movies Fan/Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    to much mech tech hate :( 

14. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    All of it deserved.

15. iTeruri

iTeruri Bulkhead is the best

A toyline, with playability? No way!

I agree, there is too much MechTech hate. It's a fun gimmick.

16. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    ^that comes at the cost of the figure it is included with.

17. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Tie between mechtech and mech-alive

Mech-Alive in terms of being rather pointless and in most cases almost unnoticeable.

Mechtech for making the toys smaller just to add the guns in. I dont hate mechtech for what it is, the idea is great. I hate it because its an excuse to put out a mostly unpainted toy the size of a small deluxe and call it a voyager.

18. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movies Fan/Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    but it looks liek a fun gimmcik :( 

19. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

After thinking about this i agree with this 100%. As cool as automorph is Anguirus is right that if the gimmick breaks your figure is done for. This is especially true for figures with complex automorph that is also fragile like Blackout.

I personally like mechalive because this gimmick does not really interfere and it makes figure come more alive i think. I love seeing Dirge's nipple gears spin when you rotate his shoulders its just a neat touch. Or Longhaul's chest gear rotating when you spin his head. Or one of my favorites is voyager Megs gears in his chest when you spin his waist. Just nice little touches that add to a figure greatly.

As for mehctech yeah they are big and in some cases is ugly but i cannot fault a toy company for wanting to make their toys more fun for children after thats who the toys are made for. Plus some of the weapons are pretty cool. I am honestly likely to buy the deluxe Ratchet just for his weapon.

20. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    #1 Electronic Lights & Sounds : because of wiring & battery compartments hindering engineering.

So in that sense, Mech Tech is less intrusive. It takes away some budget from the figure but it CAN work in perfect harmony with the figure : Megatron.

Why did they shrunk ? Well, because the characters in the movie scaled up.