Least Favorite Graphic Novels/TPBs

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Sage o' G-fruit, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    I'd like to see what to steer clear of.

As for mine, I really hate the last Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man TPB, the Back in Black one. The Liefeldian art style turns me off, the dialogue can get dull, and enough with the frakking Other already!

You guys?

2. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't usually buy a trade if there's even a chance the story will be bad, but I've messed up a couple of times:

- Infinite Crisis: Rann-Thanagar War - I liked Infinite Crisis, in general, but this miniseries was terrible. I had a hell of time following the story and it was a pain to get through.
    - The Death and Return of Donna Troy - The "Death" part was OK, but the "Return" part made absolutely no sense whatsoever.
    - Ultimate Fantastic Four v5 - The Marvel Zombies intro arc was a neat idea, but the Namor arc was atrocious...and Greg Land's art was distracting, since no one seemed to be emoting correctly.

3. Mr. Sinister

Mr. Sinister Cat + Sinister = TROUBLE

Any Batman books written by Frank Miller post-DKR.

4. Sinestro

Sinestro Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What was wrong with Batman Year One?

5. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

I'm gonna go ahead and commit sacrilege here, but I don't really care for Watchmen or V for Vendetta. The movies are really good, but I think the books are too convuluted. The movies I think help to bring the story in a little tighter.

6. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'll join you with Watchmen. I was expecting the most epic reading experience of all time, and was kind of "meh" towards the whole thing. I'll add Final Crisis to the list. I waited it out for the trade to come out, and I have to say I wish I had just kept waiting.

7. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

Superman: For Tomorrow was kind of meh. First half ended weird and half way through the second half I was like...huh? Really expected more from the guy who gave us Hush.

8. Darkravager

I will also agree that Final Crisis sucks pretty hard. I'm still angry that I bought all the issues and tie ins for an almost non-existant story.

9. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    Volume seven was even worse, the art was certainly better then Lands (whos' isn't?) the pacing was so fast I was actually getting a headache from reading a comic, which has never happened.

10. 138 Scourge

138 Scourge WE R 138

I'd heard good things about the Sinestro Corps War thing in Green Lantern, so I read the first part of that. I shoulda known, because I absolutely hated Green Lantern: Rebirth, but figured I'd give Johns another chance. Now I know better. I know some of y'all like it, but I was bored out of my skull looking at it.

Ususally, though, I know what I like or what might appeal, and can avoid things that I'm gonna dislike without too much effort. The only other thing I've read lately that I really hated was that Kevin Smith Green Arrow thing where Ollie came back to life.

11. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    DK2 (Dark Knight 2) by Frank Miller.

Avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid.

Oh and did I mention? AVOID. Batman Year one is very good though, and despite the rep I thoroughly enjoyed All Star Batman and Robin.

12. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Civil War. assuming that counts.

13. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Batman: Fortunate Son
    Superman: At Earth's End
    Amazons Attack
    Countdown to Final Crisis

For more details on why these are so horrifyingly awful, click here.

14. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

:( 

15. Darkravager

I know! I figured that it would make some people look twice, but I just found the stories to drag on way too much.

I think Watchmen would have been a lot better without the pages and pages of useless exposition after each chapter and the stupid pirate boat story in it.

V for Vendetta would have been better with fewer characters I think. There were so many people to keep track of that I didn't really care about anyone, and a lot of the important decisions that should drive the plot forward didn't seem to ever be on the page.

16. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I was going to say try it again without reading the pirate story as it's simply the the core theme of Watchmen delivered in a different story :lol 

This I do understand, however. You do have to remember that it was published weekly/monthly in a comic before it was collected in a GN though.