"Leaner & Meaner"

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by cosmicherosa, Jan 18, 2011.

1. cosmicherosa

cosmicherosa Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So Bay recently was quoted as saying the new movie is 'lean & mean" compared to ROTF.

Honestly, I hope means that physically. Looking at the latest leaks of the toy pictures (i know i can't rely on the toy pics as the product we'll have on screen), the toys are looking much leaner and much better. Megatron, Optimus prime, and Ironhide all look like they have had the bottom part of their torso thinned out, legs spaced further apart and shoulders spread out. I hope this translates on film also.

Ironhide has had a very "devito" like body in the past two movies.

2. oddacidtea

oddacidtea Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure that Bay is talking about story structure, not the physical features of the bots. Also, The thinness of the figures has less to do with the movie aesthetics and more to do with engineering toys that can approcimate them as closely as possible.

ROTF had several plotlines going on, as well as several Macguffins, too many characters, and it must have been an editing nightmare. My guess it that TF3 will match the TF1 template almost exactly.

3. MythofBlackout

MythofBlackout TF Fan Artist

News Credits:
    I don't think he was talking about the designs. By "lean & mean" he was probably referring to the plot being simpler, less convoluted, less cluttered with subplots that ultimately didn't pan out, and less over-the-top humor. That is to say, a simple story that is easy to follow, tighter plotted, and more focused.

4. oddacidtea

oddacidtea Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This ^

5. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    The toys also look smaller than in previous years. DOTM Voyager Optimus is smaller than Battle Blades Optimus, which itself was smaller than TF1 Voyager Optimus.

When Bay uses the phrase, he's just talking about the scope of the picture. ROTF had some immense set pieces, just tremendously vast and expensive demonstrations of CGI effects, on-set stuntwork, and epic location filming. And yet with a plot that didn't draw you in, those impressive action sequences managed to be largely uninvolving. People were looking at 10 second shots that might've cost $20 million dollars and the reaction was 'meh'.

For ROTF, he basically turned it up to 11. This time(if we are to believe him) he intends to do more with less.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I think he means leaner as in less clunky and more evenly paced and meaner as in more competant.

7. cosmicherosa

cosmicherosa Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know what he meant.

I was more wondering if leaner looking/slimmer and more tight character designs would appeal to you all more then the clunky mess we've had with most designs so far.

that's all.

8. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I don't care if they make some fat and others slim, I just like them to be more coherent.

Optimus has always had a nice clear design with good form in the movies, but some of the others... you don't know if it's a leg or an arm you're looking at. All the parts just seem to mass together like a scrapheap rather than fitting together in any distinct way.

I don't need them to all be leaner looking, in fact I prefer some to be slim and athletic, and others to be big heavy bruisers. I like a complimentary variety of characters in different sizes and shapes.

9. Ruthie

Ruthie Well-Known Member

The movie TF designs have always been fine. It's addressing and correcting the story mistakes from ROTF that needs to be the focus.

10. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

A shorter film would mean that Bay can maximize his strong points while his weaker points would take up less of the film.

Plus unless it's something really character heavy action movies just seem to work better as shorter films rather than being drawn out really long. You kind of want to get in there, get your action fix and move on.

11. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    With the first TF film, it felt to me that Bay almost reached a point where I could overlook alot of his usual eye-candy. It felt with the script, there actually were plenty of moments that I could get behind, unlike most of his other work.

If he can run with that torch again, and cut out alot of meaningless mumbo-jumbo, this could work.

TF2 just gave me too many flashbacks to my dislike of 'Armageddon.' It was the ghosts of the past coming back at me.

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    ^This. I hoep so.

I wanna see Autobot casualties, I want the Decepticon try to go on the extra mile and start a killing spree like the 86's Transformer movie.

13. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Did you just call Ironhide fat?