Leaked pics reaction

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by unkle73, Aug 21, 2006.

1. unkle73

unkle73 Well-Known Member

I am a fan of almost everything Transformers based ever since I was 11, back in 1984, so I have a good media-spanning grounding in the rich history of the franchise. And by no means a negative person, a "whiner", or a naysayer, in fact, I'm one of the most optimistic people I know. But after seeing all the leaked images of the TF characters so far...

Nope, sorry. This really is NOT going to work. The names may be the same, and the insignias may be the same, but these are NOT Transformers. The makers of this movie do not care about the identities and recognisable elements of these characters. If they were designed more closely to the Alternators/Masterpiece toys, then this movie would be great, but I have no idea why they would go to the extents of completely changing them for the sake of changing them, to this degree.

It looks like there'll be Johnny5 anorexic skeletal robots fighting each other in this movie. And as I've already said, as far as the TRUE Transformers mythos goes, this just isn't going to work. They've changed the characters way too much, so much so that it's just plainly unrealistic. If they're going to be fighting toe to toe with each other, punching, kicking and throwing each other around, they physically won't last 5 minutes. It's not "believeable". They need to be big, angular, boxy, chunky, armoured FIGHTING machines.

The pictures of Prime's design are simply awful. He's nothing like any Prime design before, and that's not a good thing. He must have the recognisable Prime grill/abdomen section, the twin pectoral plates/windows and the classic colour scheme, or he simply isn't Prime. I expect he doesn't even open up to reveal the matrix annex.
    And Starscream? How is that Starscream??? It's ridiculous! What's wrong with having designs akin to the characters in the recent IDW "Infiltration" comics series? Redesigned and realistic looking, with practical and recognisable transformations/robot and alt modes. They work perfectly.
    Starscream as the F22 stealth jet in Infiltration is a stroke of genius. It's such a shame about what they've done here, and a real wasted opportunity.
    And besides, there's no way the toys will ever be able to accurately resemble these new designs. And I certainly wouldn't care to own any of them even if they did.

Ok, so this looks like it's trying to be a new continuity, but personally I don't think this is what most fans want. Certainly none of the many fans I know. And it will not have the appeal of the original style of Transformers.
    So I say this to you Dreamworks: Either modernise, yet stay true to the history and style of classic Transformers, just as the Alternators and Masterpiece projects have (and brilliantly, I might add), or you should keep your hands off the license altogether.

It's boycott time for me for this live action version - the Japanese CG movie will obviously be the true movie. The Japanese always produce Transformers media/designs the way they should be.
    Not like this excessively creativley-licensed Hollywood mess.

2. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

I am reminded of how everybody and their mother bitches up and down about each new Alternator when photos first leak out, but then by the time the toys hit the shelves, they are all over them like terrorcons on energon.

3. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    First off, I'm glad that you decided to join and offer an opinion on the movie characters. For some of what you're saying, I agree - I'm not a big fan of these designs, although I'm slowly getting used to them. I kinda figure that this is it - this is what we're getting. From now until July 4th, we just have to watch this film unfold. The real telling point - whether these really work as Transformers or not - will be at the box office.

Secondly, prepare for fun. The regulars will be along soon enough to dissect everything you posted. It gets entertaining at times.

4. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

unkle73, first of all I see this is your first post so welcome to the forum.

What you're saying isn't any different than every other rant I've read, but since you started a new thread for it, allow me to play devil's advocate.

First let me say that I myself am a diehard G1 fan. The only Transformers I have are G1 reissues and Alternators. The only cartoon or comics I care about is the G1 stuff. Now, those characters we hold so dear to our hearts would look great left-alone, that is if this movie was being made in the 80's. As much as I love our dear G1 Transformers, the truth of the matter is that they look like a man dressed up in a cardboard suit. There's good reason why it's so many people show up with a homemade G1-character costume at conventions - it's doable. And regarding the transformations, it's generally only a couple pulls and flips, and there you've got it. There's not exactly anything mind-blowing or alien about G1 designs.

I've seen a lot of people bashing the new designs because they insist there's no way they can possibly Transform without cheating. To that I say, bravo to the designers. They have managed to create Transformers that we humans cannot comprehend or understand. They are aliens after all. We shouldn't be able to look at them and figure out how they tick, so to speak.

We need to think about the general audience. Are they to believe robot aliens from a distant galaxy look like people in box-suits with human faces? Or would it be better that they show up bizarre looking and perhaps, over the course of a series of films, slowly adopt human traits and designs? What if, by film number three, Starscream becomes the humanoid design we know and love? Also, the human characters in the film are supposed to be terrified of the Transformers. There's nothing terrifying or even remotely scary about G1 Starscream. Hell, he looks like a guy I'd like to hang out with. Now what kind of bad guy is that?

The other point I see a lot of haters making is that the robots look fragile and weak because their robotics aren't masked in boxes. Personally I don't feel they look fragile at all, but you should also consider they're not going to be built out of earth metals. Whose to say how much of a beating they can take before it does any damage? They're not made out of the same stuff we make out cars out of, after all.

I think people need to take a step back to the core elements that make up Transformers. Two genres of robot aliens caught in a civil war who are sentient beings and can transform. Can you honestly tell me that if it was your job to create an alien robot race, you'd make them all look like boxy versions of the tinman? You might if you were making a cartoon catered to 5 year olds using cell animation.

5. RHansen

RHansen Sir. Ranbotnic Veteran

News Credits:
    I think the designs will rock

6. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    i think the designs DO rock

mwaha

7. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

All the exposed workings make them look about as advanced as a steam locomotive. Prime and Bumblebee just look outright fragile. I really hope they realize that giant war machines need to have armor, before they get to final rendering.

And, somebody give Prime a sammich.

8. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    All the dark grey parts on Bumblebee can still be "armored". Terminators have their joints exposed (they ARE all joints) yet they never feel fragile in the movies once you see the endos take severe beatings and shootings. Not to mention that a Transformers body will bend, reshape, and reform with every new alt mode. That armor isn't always in the same place, and its all the same metal. I can easily see how Transformers would be made out of the same stuff inside and out. They almost HAVE to be to be able to reconfigure their bodies like that.

I really dont understand how having boxes with wires and hydraulics inside them is any more high tech. Wouldnt it be the MOST high tech to be built of such materials that you look like your joints are exposed when in reality you're really tough?

That "smooth shell looks high tech" argument doesnt make any sense to me. For instance, you only see how high tech the Gunndam Rx-78 is when you take the armor OFF and see all the mechanical bits.

An outer shell is just that.

9. Quantum_Penguin

Quantum_Penguin Be seeing you...

Make of these what you will...

I've never heard the "old" asthetic likened to "men in cardboard boxes" before the current controversy, even in threads about such convention goers where you'd think the comparison would have spawned. In fact, such threads are usually congratualtory in tone for how well the costumer managed to adapt a difficult design to more human proportions.

Futhermore, regarding the way these designs allegedly convey "practicality" but at the same time "alieness", no one on this board on either side of the issue is qualified to make assertions about what the average movie goer expects or will believe of giant robots, aliens, or anything else outside of everyday experience. Armageddon was probably the greatest insult to astronomy, chemistry, physics, and every astronaut who has or will ever live, but the general public ate it up without so much as batting an eye. On the other hand, 2001: A Space Oddessy was excruciatingly realistic in portraying unfathomable aliens but is still universally recognized and considered a classic product of its genre.

Yes, the new designs will probably find their audience. Yes, it may be time for drastic change to the franchise, and in the due course of time may come full circle to the framiliar. However, like Hellboy, Spiderman, Batman Begins, and X-men, this will be the flagship movie for a new franchise. Changing hallmarks of the franchise like Starscream's smirking face or that Transformers have recognizable parts of their vehicle modes on their bodies seems more like an attempt to establish a new asthetic over the old. This will be the property's flagship portrayal to the masses and their expectations may be irrevocably shaped by it.

Then again, they may have no expectations at all before or after the movie, in which case the men in cardboard suits would have done just as well...

10. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Long story short: I hate the designs. HATE them!! REALLY REALLY HATE them!!!!

Also, I dont like it when fans say they like them. If it was not branded with the name "Transformers" I dont think that most fans would care for it.. Unless maybe if you're into mech anime too and all.

We should all be bitching major at these people for what they did. Look at masterpiece Starscream.. How hard is it to make THAT on screen?? Look at the IDW comics... how hard would it be to put THAT version of Ratchet into the movie? Or maybe even Starscream and the other jets from the IDW comics... Remember that fake Sideswipe ILM footage? That didnt look too bad, with some good work and minor changes, it could easily fit into a movie. Or even that fan-made CG of Prime. This movie could have been so much more than the crap it looks like.

And for everyone who says, "lol, they're alienzzz!!11" ...Why would alien robots walk around with all their parts, joints and wires exposed? If they were to land in sand, they would be screwed when they tried to move or do anything. Part of what made TFs cool to me was that the car or whatever formed some of the "skin" of the robot. Now, they've crapped all of that magic to hell.

11. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

I think we missed the "inspired by" part of the movies description.

Sorry if I offend anyone about the words I am about throw down on you.

1. I think this movie will be like the macross movie. You will be able to see a recognized TF story arc told in a unique way.

2. These guys are not Mobile Suit Gundam, Battletech, Mekton, Robotech, Appleseed, M-66, Heavy Gear, WH40K, or what have you. These bots are living machines who want to live just like you and me. So my point here is a MAC II can only be camouflaged but so much...Alternatively a Dodge pickup with a 25mm would be much less obvious at the circle K.

3. The Trans formers assume the shapes of common objects to blend with the planets environment. So as said before, in 1980 they would be fine. In 2007 they would be vintage or obsolete by military standards if they are combat type forms.

12. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    Personally I was going to give this movie a chance, even after the cluster fuck that was the early days of it, Cullen had drawn me back in. Then I saw this ugly ass garbage. When I picture Transformers this is not what I picture, that fan made white Prime, yes, this garbage no.

13. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Well, I'm almost sorry to say it, but I like them. And it's not because I'm Hasbro's bitch or that I'll "accept anything", but I think they look awesome. The only one I don't really like much is Starscream, and it's mainly how squat he appears in robot mode.

If I designed them would I do things slightly different? -Yes, I would have actually liked to have seen something along the lines of what Bumblebee looks like but with larger "car part" armor, imagine a robot like movie Bumblebee or Prime, but with the classic hood chest, door wings, and rear end feet - that's what I would consider perfect, but to be honest I pretty much expected that this is what they would end up looking like and I'm Ok with it.

Let me reiterate - It's not that they are "transformers" hell, I thought that most of Armada and Energon was complete crap, a lot of the larger Cybertron stuff as well.

I absolutely love Alternators, and I had quite an affinity for Vehicons (actually I thought they kicked 10 kinds of ass).

I like what they are doing here with the Decepticons looking like monstrous killing machines and the Autobots looking like your typical "industrial worker robot".

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, and my opinion is they are kick ass.

14. prime is a legend

prime is a legend Hooch is crazy.

I am really looking forward to the film after seeing these designs. yeah this wasnt what i was expecting but i think it is a new and interesting take on transformers!

they are after all Alien Robots not from this world, so the idea that they look alien rather than Humanoid sort of beings works for me!

Optimus Prime looks awesome as does Bumble bee but if there is one nitpick it would be in that their arms look a little two lanky and spindly, but that can always be cleared up when the film actually hits preproduction. i think we have to stop whining and give this new take a chance!

15. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Dangerous when naked! TFW2005 Supporter

I like the designs because they ARE so totally different than what we're used to, I mean look what happened the last time anybody took a totally original look on the franchise.......
    Beast Wars
    and we all know how that turned out.

16. Mr Grimm

Mr Grimm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Someone obviously isn't familiar with the KISS-Play line...

As I've said elsewhere, I really quite like the designs, especially the helicopter dude. He actually looks a bit more like a classic Transformer to me, as quite a few bits of his vehicle mode are still visible across his robot mode.

People are keen to point out that these designs look fragile. To me, the old designs always seemed a bit fragile and I could never work out how they'd work if they were real. Have a look at Alt Hound with his hollow torso. Car panels are fairly thin, and that hollow torso would smash to pieces incredibly easily. With the new, tightly packed designs they actually look more robust. In my opinion, of course.

17. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

Best TF series ever.
    And that is due to 2 reasons:
    - influence of G1, especially "The Agenda"
    - the writers *listened* to the fans

18. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I'm warming up to them all, except Starscream. I couldn't care less what anybody else thinks, because frankly, it doesn't matter at all. The movie goes forward whether we like it or not, so we will either accept it or piss and moan for 10 more months.

I'm gonna save myself a ton of heartache and just accept it. I advise all you haters do that too, because bitching isn't going to help anybody. Hollywood has made up it's mind.

19. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    They are too busy. That is my only complaint. It's hard to find a focal point. For the first time ever in the history of Transformers I think the toys will be better than the concepts. Blackout is the perfect example. The concept is so busy, it is really hard to make the different parts out. It almost looks like someone glued scrap metal on a skeleton. The toy, however, has solid, defined limbs. Hasbro's limitations may be a blessing in disguise.

20. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Dangerous when naked! TFW2005 Supporter

I was referring more to the design aesthetic, which for Optimus and Megatron were influenced by G1, but totally new for most of the other toys. Then again some of the designs for the movie are also influenced by G1, Optimus is not only a big truck but he is also primarily red and blue and has a blue head with a faceplate, Bumblebee is a yellow car and has a head that has details shared with his old self, Ratchet is an ambulance and Starscream is a Jet (admittedly the similarity ends there!)
    The BW designs really shook up the transformers formula and it totally revitalised the franchise, may be the movie will do so once again, not that the franchise is exactly flagging at the moment, well not on US soil anyhow!