Leadership skills- need advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alpha Prime, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Alpha Prime

Alpha Prime Ten Years Strong

Hello,
    i need some help writing a speach on leadership so i can hopefully win the nomination for my high school to go to a Leadership Conference. it really means alot to me and i REALLY wan to win the nomination. Please list some skills a good leader should have, and/or qoutes from famous leaders ( that includes Optimus Prime:D  ). It really means a lot to me guys so thank each and every one of you in advance for posting!:cool: 

2. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

I think that it would show good leadership for us to let you figure this out for yourself. I mean Rodimus never had anyone to hand him a book on leadership and look at how good of a leader he wa.................................oh wait. Nevermind.
    Well, good luck to ya kid.

3. Alpha Prime

Well, i have some ideas and what not, but there is tough competetion for this. I am compeating aganist someone that i considerded an "academic" rival in elementary and middle school. I just want to make sure i have everything perfect. I have never been a stright A student but this gives me a chance to show the rest of my class member that you don't have to be perfect to be successful. in my school system stright A kids are traeated like royalty and the kids that try and try to make good grades, but still make Cs and Ds, are forgotten about. I don't think thoes are the ones to leave out, but the ones that need the attention. And being a mainly B student, some As, i consider myself in that catagory.

Also, on a more self centered note, I really think that this, along with my Eagle scout award, will really help me get in to college thqat i want to go to.

To put it to the point, i have prayed over this since the beginning of october, guy this really means a lot to me. Thank you all for taking the time to look at and read this post.

-Alpha Prime

4. Alpha Prime

And Thanks Darkravager for your input

5. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    is it NYLC? I went to that and had a great time... don't remember what I wrote for an essay though

6. Alpha Prime

No, HOBY. Hugh O'Brian Youth Leadership Conference.

7. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Being a leader means doing what is right, not what is popular.

8. Alpha Prime

ok, thanks Boggs6ft7

9. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Focus on the fact that strong leadership comes from treating people with respect. Build relationships with the people who report to you and get to know them, ask for their input on things, acknowledge and appreciate their contributions, thank them when they do good work, treat them like they're important. A manager or director who acts this way toward their people will have a loyal, trusting group that does MUCH better work.

And good luck, by the way!

10. Alpha Prime

That helps a lot, thank you ams!

11. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    A true leader would take control of the situation and never ask for help on the internet.

;) 

12. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Some other items I thought about...

An outstanding leader asks good questions. He/she seeks to understand the views, opinions, hopes, and needs of his/her people.

A leader is involved in planning projects and providing guidance throughout a process, but does not step in to DO the work (taking it away from the team member). This empowers the individuals in the workgroup to OWN the work themselves - the leader stays involved to make certain things are on track.

And most importantly, a leader is primarily concerned with the success of the company and its people, not their own personal gain or notoriety.

13. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

being a leader is taking bribes from the rich...

:kidding

actually leadership is something that does not come natual, the best way to be a leader, is to look at it as the leader serving the people, not the people serving him.

as a leader it's your job to make sure what ever needs to be done, is done, and done right.

leadership is something that most people take for granted. or abuse or over use. but it's kind'a like that futurama episode where bender talks to god.

if you are give your people you are leading everything they want, they will become dependent on you, but if you do too little, then people will feel like you haven't done anything at all. thus they will lose faith in you as a leader. how ever, if you do it right, and blance your actions just right, not too much, not to little, people won't be dependent on you but they won't try to be totally independent of you either.

14. Alpha Prime

"Use Your Resources Wisely"
    -Anonymous

And Thank you again ams

Thank you Dolza_Khyron

And thank you llamatron for your input

Means a lot guys

15. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

a good leader though takes responsiblity in to his/her own hands, and DOES help out as much as they can. a good leader does not just tell a bunch of people what to do. but asks those questions you talked about and does his/her best to make sure as a team, the team finds the answers. and i believe a good leader puts the success of the people before the company. a good leader remembers that people, are always more important then money, are they are your best resource, so they need to feel like each one is being treated as an equal, and the leader is doing his equal share of work. or else they will pull away and resent that leader.

16. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    To me, a good leader is someone who can empathize and communicate with his/her subordinates, while still keeping the group organized and aimed towards a particular goal.

Also, I really think that a good leader is someone who can remain positive and happy even during the toughest of times, or at least can smile during those times. If a leader can convey a positive sense of "nearing completion, we're almost there!" and encourage the team constructively, the team morale seems to do much better.

17. Alpha Prime

woops, hit the wrong button!

18. Alpha Prime

Ok, thanks Ops_was_a_truck!:cool: 

thanks a lot guys, i am working on my speach right now. It really means a lot thank you all and pray for me!

19. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

20. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    As an immortal being that has been observing humanity for quite a long time, I think I can offer you some insights on the qualities and skills needed to be a good leader.

1. You don't have to be an expert on everything. You do, however, have to be interested in everything. A leader has to look at the big picture - but you won't understand it if you don't know at least the basics.

2. Gather experts. Listen to them and ask them intelligent questions. Let your advisors fight things out and then make a decision. Be ready to make decisions that those experts won't agree with.

3. Don't ask those that accept your leadership to do anything that you would not be willing to do yourself. Lead by example. Also, be prepared to "inspire."

4. Be ready to make sacrifices of yourself. Be ready to take some heat.

5. Don't break the rules - but be prepared to bend them once in awhile.

6. Someone earlier in the thread that you must do what is right and not what is popular. However, this is harder than it sounds. How do you know what's right? You're going to have to figure out how to make these determinations.

As for examples of great leaders to look at:
    Fiction: Optimus Prime, James T. Kirk, Jean-Luc Picard, Benjamin Sisko, Captain America (Steve Rogers), Spider-Man (Peter Parker)

U.S Presidents:
    George Washington
    John Adams
    Thomas Jefferson
    James Madison
    Andrew Jackson
    Abraham Lincoln
    Theodore Roosevelt
    Woodrow Wilson
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt
    Harry S. Truman
    Bill Clinton

Other notable leaders:
    Mohandas Gandhi
    Martin Luther King, Jr.
    Nelson Mandela
    John Lennon

Current leaders to watch:
    Stephen Colbert
    Bob Geldof
    Bono (of U2)
    Dr. Howard Dean

Suggested reading: Niccolò Machiavelli's The Prince (you can find this online at no cost, I suspect)

Also: American Rhetoric's Top 100 Speeches of the 20th Century

That's all I've got.