Leadership in the G1 TF Universe

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Seeker, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    These are just my opinions and ponderings. I've always thought that the Autobot leader during the golden age of cybertron was not a absolute ruler. He was chosen by the Matrix but he had a council of elders (like congress or parliament) to answer to also. I remember this being the case in the old g1 comic. I think during times of crisis the council voted the Autobot Prime emergency authority and when the most recent war became a blood (energon) bath those powers were never taken back. The Decepticon leader on the other hand is a absolute ruler that holds power by firepower, intelligence and brute strength. Not necessarily in that order though. That's why ole Screamer was about to have himself crowned because that's virtually what he would be, a king. But Galvatron disagreed with him quite violently I remember.

2. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Wasn't there a Senate on Cybertron during the Golden Age? Or is that just a "depending on the continuity" thing?

I'd imagine the Autobots, as presented, would have some manner of representative government.

3. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Many moons ago I wrote an essay about how the Autobots were Communists and the Decepticons were Capitalists. Right down to the Autobots being the reds in both faction symbol coloration as consumer based products and that the majority of the red Transformers were Autobots.

Though nowadays I'd probably lean towards the Autobots being more of an Royalty based system, what with their entire method of leadership being derived from being chosen by a mythic object ala Excalibur. Only a very select few are ever leader and only then does the chosen one ever really become it. Most Autobots automatically fall in line behind this leader just because he was chosen either by the previous Matrix Holder or by the Matrix itself.

On the 'con side, things are still a Capitalist one. Any 'con in theory could become leader, he just has to show that he has the skills necessary to achieve it.

4. StrifeZ

StrifeZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I think the way it works is this:

There is no really organized political structure, no economics as we think of it, and no "senate". There are roughly 10,000 transformers, divided somehwere down the middle between Autobots and Decepticons. Basically the population of a small American down.

With 5000 or so Autobots spread out over an entire planet or entire star systems, operating in small, disparate groups, reporting to the Prime and his command and control is organization enough. It works because it's small. It wouldn't work because its big.

It may be comparable for example, to a small to medium sized Company. There is a the CEO, the board, the VPs and the mid level managers. But that is the extent of the organization.

The decepticons, if they're truly imperial rule subjects, even non-Transformer subjects. I always thought of Megatron and Shockwave as something of equals. Nominally Megatron is superior, but one cannot function without the other. Megatron conquers, Shockwave administrates. Megatron builds the empire, Shockwave keeps it running with computer accuracy. Any Megatron, being a brilliant and powerful Transformer, rules because he can personally slaughter any non-combiner Transformer (and maybe even that).

I loved Spotlight Ramjet for that reason. Megatron was challenged, and without a word, he ripped the challenger's head clean off.

5. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    That's a interesting theory man. To answer a earlier question,I believe a type of autobot council was featured in the old g1 marvel series and a more recent DW series. I remember reading someone's idea that the ancient Primes were like the ancient papacy. They had spiritual powers also.

6. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Where did you get that figure of only 10,000 Transformers?

7. StrifeZ

StrifeZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    It was in one of the IDW comics. General I know, but the number stuck in my head.

It kind of makes sense too. This is a multi-million year war where no Transformers are being born. Every battle just cuts down their population a little more.

8. Phil

Phil Well-Known Member

I've never heard anyone explain it like that, but I actually really like your idea of this.