Leader sized TF toys,Is hasbro catering them towards adults fans?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by trypticonx, Mar 17, 2012.

1. trypticonx

trypticonx Member

I love the Leader sized TF toys,they seemed to be catered towards adult fans & teenagers,due to their Extremly detailed sculpts & complex transformations.

I view most TF leader sized toys as pure works of art. most of them seem to be in the same league as masterpiece TF toys,as far as extremly detailed sculpted toys goes,size,poseability,complex transformations. adult themed color schemes,accessories & gimmicks. Both the leader sized TF toys & the masterpieces hasbro/takara seems to cater towards the fans & teenagers.

About the only thing missing from most leader sized toys that masterpiece TF toys have is poseable fingers.

Honestly the leader sized TF toys created by Hasbro Takara seemed to start with Car robots Rid & are still be made for TF Prime toys. obviously in Car robots/Rid,Armada & Energon the leader sized TF toys were called by different names.

Here's a list of all the New mold Transformers Leader sized TF toys hasbro has made since the year 2000.
    1- Car robots/rid Fire convoy/Optimus Prime,super/leader size
    2-Car Robots/Rid God Magnus/Ultra Magnus,Super/Leader size
    3-Armada huge Optimus Prime,Super/leader size
    4- Energon Optimus Prime,Super/leader size
    5- Energon Megatron/Galvatron,Super/leader size
    6-Cybertron Opimus prime,leader size
    7-cybertron Megatron/galvatron,leader size
    8-Cybertron Metroplex,Leader sized
    9-2007 movie Optimus prime,leader size
    10-2007 movie megatron,leader size
    11-2008 animated megatron,leader size
    12-2008 animated ultra magnus,leader size
    13-2008 animated bulkhead,leader size
    14-2009 ROTF Optimus prime,leader size
    15- 2009 ROTF megatron,leader size
    16-2009 ROTF Jetifre,leader size
    17-2010 HFTD Movie Starscream,leader size
    18-2011 DOTM Ironhide,leader size.
    19-2011 DOTM sentinel Prime,leader size
    20-2011 DOTM Bumblebee,leader size
    21- TF prime Optimus Prime,weaponizers/leader size
    22- TF Prime,Bumblebee,weaponizers/leader size.

Out of the 22 TF leader sized TF toys created thus far from the years 2000 thru 2012,I like 19 out of 22,which is great ratio like/hate odds. The Three I didn't like are as follows:( 1)Armada super/leader base Optimus Prime. (2)Energon super/leader optimus Prime. (3)DOTM Leader sized Bumblebee.

I gonna need to buy & play with,TF Prime,Bumblebee weaponizers/leader sized toy. before I decide if I like it or not. If I don't like it, then i'll give it away to a younger relative.

2. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Considering there are Bumblebee Leader sized figures and lights/sounds in them, I'd say no. Most adults would rather not have the lights/sounds because that results in a large block in the figure for the batteries & electronics. Adults especially don't think Bumblebee is deserving of a leader figure & would rather have that spot go to a larger character (like that fool Blackout).

3. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    super mode prime is realy a display in the back ground bit

pregamissprime is a ture thunderbird lol

as for dotm bb waisted leader class slot

4. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There seem to be two types of leader class toys- the ones that are intricate and are appeal a bit more for older fans, (Optimus Prime, Sentinel Prime, Starscream) and the really gimmicky ones that are catered more to kids (Bumblebee, Ironhide)

5. Slip►Stream

Slip►Stream Seeker Clone

News Credits:
    Considering how many collectors aren't too big into lights and sounds or other gimmicks and how these gimmicks sometimes ruin a figure (ROTF Megs arm cannon, Battle Ops Bee right arm, DOTM Ironhide overall simplicity and loads of gimmicks, DOTM Bee's size and lack of paint in exchange of his mechtech thing) I wouldn't say these figures are targeted towards us.
    Most of these figures are engineered around a big battery pack limiting in some cases the overall figure's aesthetics and also adding lots of weight that limits possability.

6. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I think they are intending to cater them to an adult collector crowd.

I just don't think they've been doing a great job of it.

Because as much as the average adult collector tends to dislike light, sound, and whatever other gimmicks, the price range and complexity of transformation put most recent Leaders out of the range of little kids' abilities to deal with.

I look at RotF Leader Optimus or DotM Leader Sentinel, and I can't imagine the designers thinking, "Oh, yeah, little 7-year-old Jimmy is going to have hours of fun transforming these, easily navigating the instructions and pegging everything in just so." What I do imagine is pissed off parents finding half-transformed mangled messes abandoned by their frustrated children after 5 minutes, making that toy's cost come out to $10 a minute.

7. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think as allowed the designers may like trying to create more sophisticated adult oriented leader toys. But when all is said and done corporate hasbro certainly isn't aiming this way, and the designers have to meet certain requirements that work against this.

Even the most incredible leader figures (SS and ROTF Prime come to mind) usually aren't quite MP quality in the mold. Once paints are entered into the equation it's pretty much over. In rare cases like Takara's MMSS and Buster prime we get to the very edge of MP territory, but these toys still lack some of the detail and articulation generally associated with MP toys.

8. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    This seems to be the truth. There's a bit for everyone, and in fact I'd like OP. SP and SS even more if they didn't have sounds and lights. The new Weaponizer toys are aimed for kids and they look like very fun toys, but I'll be happy with just Deluxes and Voyagers for Prime.

9. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

I have not put a lot of thought into this before now but it kinda makes sense in some cases. Movie Prime is a great example. The first leader was not as complex but lacked screen accuracy but was still a fun figure. It definitely seems that the engineering involved on ROTF Prime was aimed at a more refined audience while still trying to maintain kid appeal with the lights and sounds. The same goes for some of the other leaders like Screamer and SP. So i do not think that all leaders are intended to cater to the older audience and fan base but some are without a doubt.

10. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    Leader class are just an excuse to put electronics into TF toys.

11. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Out of that entire list the only ones I consider more catered towards adult collectors are the RID leaders, Magnus and Prime, TFTM Brawl, the ROTF leaders [even Jetfire] and DOTM Sentinel Prime.

From DOTM and even to Prime, they seemed to tread back to more simplified transformations and more emphasis on electronics and gimmicks than the pure transformation aspect of ROTF Prime, Starscream and the rest.

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Not Really.

They were never meant for adults only. I'm sure some kids can figure the leader classes out easily (older ones).

13. loneliest#

loneliest# Well-Known Member

Buster and Sentinal Prime are great but I can't consider them masterpiece quality. Sure, they're complex and have great screen accuracy but look at them from any angle besides the front and you're met with a big honking backpack. Would love to see HasTak try them again minus electronics.

14. maximus_73

maximus_73 Well-Known Member

Hasbro is not catering to collectors comparing to Takara. For instance, Hasbro Leader class Optimus was focusing for kids vs. Takara Buster Prime was focusing for collector.

15. Koolimus Prime

Koolimus Prime Weapons Expert

Most adults had trouble transforming that thing!

16. trypticonx

trypticonx Member

Masterpiece TF toys also have electronics in them also. Takara classifies most MP TF toys that have electronics in them as being catered to & aimed at adult fans.

Having electronics & lights+sounds in a TF toy doesn't classify it as being aimed at kids. This statement makes no sense. For the sheer fact most adult males love to buy loud,annoying & overly huge electronics to put in their house or car via a gigantic huge TV's,HUGE home stero stystem,giagntic radio,speakers,woofers,equalizers inside their car they drive in. In addition most adult males buy those theddy bears & other similar devices with those annoying speeech & light up electronics for their girl friends or wives. most mives/girlfriends are adults & don't consider this stuff only catered towards kids. most adult males love to buy those hand held electronics with super annoying noises,sound effects & light up stuff via iphones,androids,hand held video games,tiny radio/whatever with ear phones to listen to music.

17. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    lol no, they don't.

18. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    MP Convoy has a light up matrix chamber less than the size of a pencil eraser. MP Megatron has a light up cannon that fails because it's so huge. MP Grimlock has a tiny circuit that lights up his hand.

With the exception of Megatron, these are small circuits integrated on the figures, nothing like the huge electronics light and sound BOX that the torso of a leader class is built around from.

A TV is a TV, people buy the huge box and don't expect any shortcomings from a BOX that transmits an image on its own screen. Collectors understand and more than often see and live the shortcoming of an otherwise fine collectible built around an extra feature.

I'm sorry but your analogy makes no sense.

19. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Yeah, none of the stuffed animals I've bought need electronics to talk...

20. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    This is my thinking as well. The leader class toys seem to geared towards the older end of Hasbro's target market whereas the smaller figures seem to be geared towards their whole target market age group. However, I really think this applies mainly to the movie figures. Toys like Cybertron Optimus Prime and Megatron were meant to appeal to the same kids buying the rest of the line.