Customs: Leader Prime.. Painting with Chrome

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by encline, Aug 17, 2007.

1. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have been wanting to repaint Leader Prime to spruce him up. After the G1 Style and Nemesis with the blue fire, I decided to give it a shot.
    But what I really wanted to focus on is the Chrome pint I am using. Jin and myself have mentioned ASLA CORP'S Chrome. I have some, and decided to put it to good use.If anybody is intersted, I am going to put together a tutorial on how to use it. I am using what is called Mirra Chrome. It is the most reflective paint on the market, and at $75.00 per 4 oz, it better be! These are just some in progress shots, but I want you to look at the round surface on the upper thigh around the hip, that is my reflection you can see on his leg. I will up date as I go. All the grey parts have been painted like this, the bumpers,legs, arms, head, hands, rims.
    [​IMG]

2. encline

News Credits:
    Ohh yeah, I am not sure if this has been mentioned, I just noticed when I was taking this guy apart, but hasbro appearantlly put the arms on the wrong sides. The screw hole is supposed to be on the inside and the elbow "cover" should be on the outside. You have to completely disassemble the arms to correct it.

3. encline

News Credits:
    Ohh yeah, I am not sure if this has been mentioned, I just noticed when I was taking this guy apart, but hasbro appearantlly put the arms on the wrong sides. The screw hole is supposed to be on the inside and the elbow "cover" should be on the outside. You have to completely disassemble the arms to correct it.

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm wanting to make the parts that need chrome on mine more metallic looking, but that paint is too rich for my blood. A Testors or Krylon product or something that's comparable to what you're using that's more affordable will have to suffice for me.

What you have looks good though :thumb  Like you said, though, for that price, it ought to!

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm wanting to make the parts that need chrome on mine more metallic looking, but that paint is too rich for my blood. A Testors or Krylon product or something that's comparable to what you're using that's more affordable will have to suffice for me.

What you have looks good though :thumb  Like you said, though, for that price, it ought to!

6. encline

News Credits:
    Well, it is a ground up aluminum in achohol. So it is not the product, just the process. I was fortunate enough to demonstate this stuff at an airbrush presentation, and got some free. The is another product called Ghost chrome..almost the same thing, but a lot cheaper. It is also sold at wal-mart as part of the Kustom Kolor line. Only 4 bucks, and it would be plenty to do what you want. Also, they have it in a spray can, Killer Chrome is what it is called. I have used it and it looks great. It is only like 40 bucks, and it can cover 20 sqft. I am using it on this one cause I will be selling it. So, it helps with the value. I hope.

7. encline

News Credits:
    Well, it is a ground up aluminum in achohol. So it is not the product, just the process. I was fortunate enough to demonstate this stuff at an airbrush presentation, and got some free. The is another product called Ghost chrome..almost the same thing, but a lot cheaper. It is also sold at wal-mart as part of the Kustom Kolor line. Only 4 bucks, and it would be plenty to do what you want. Also, they have it in a spray can, Killer Chrome is what it is called. I have used it and it looks great. It is only like 40 bucks, and it can cover 20 sqft. I am using it on this one cause I will be selling it. So, it helps with the value. I hope.

8. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Yeah, I wasn't sure if it was just my Prime or not, but I noticed that, and fixed it when I put it back together. Looks much better the right way too imo.

9. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Yeah, I wasn't sure if it was just my Prime or not, but I noticed that, and fixed it when I put it back together. Looks much better the right way too imo.

10. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Holy crap, and I thought Alclad was expensive stuff.

Looks good, but way too rich for my blood.

11. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Holy crap, and I thought Alclad was expensive stuff.

Looks good, but way too rich for my blood.

12. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    bleh. It's giving the same effect as an enamel silver.
    people here give too much credit to acrylics. Enamel metallics can't be touched.
    (and they are $2 vs $75)

if you have the cash to blow on a chrome finish, search your local yellow pages for guys who 'chrome dip' ....they literally dip your item in chrome plastic, common for people rebuilding cars.

13. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    bleh. It's giving the same effect as an enamel silver.
    people here give too much credit to acrylics. Enamel metallics can't be touched.
    (and they are $2 vs $75)

if you have the cash to blow on a chrome finish, search your local yellow pages for guys who 'chrome dip' ....they literally dip your item in chrome plastic, common for people rebuilding cars.

14. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Hate to be a party pooper, but the end result isn't worth the money spent. I agree with frenzy_rumble.

15. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Hate to be a party pooper, but the end result isn't worth the money spent. I agree with frenzy_rumble.

16. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    yeah. I don't wanna sound like an asshole, but I get the same effect as your shot (maybe even 'more metallic' with 1 coat of testor silver)

enamel metallic > acrylic metallic

17. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    yeah. I don't wanna sound like an asshole, but I get the same effect as your shot (maybe even 'more metallic' with 1 coat of testor silver)

enamel metallic > acrylic metallic

18. encline

News Credits:
    I have used enamels on on my last two primes. You can not get the same result. I think we should do a test. This is not an acrylic. It an alchohal based. I got the stuff for free. I just wanted to show anybody who is interested. To each his own about the price. And a bottle goes a long way. Plus, doing a commission for someone, this helps add value.

19. encline

News Credits:
    I have used enamels on on my last two primes. You can not get the same result. I think we should do a test. This is not an acrylic. It an alchohal based. I got the stuff for free. I just wanted to show anybody who is interested. To each his own about the price. And a bottle goes a long way. Plus, doing a commission for someone, this helps add value.

20. JinSaotome

JinSaotome Banned

Ebay:
    There's a huuuuuuughe difference between Alsa's Killer Chrome and all the enamel silvers out there, that pic isn't showing it tho.

Killer Chrome makes a MIRROR finish. Read as T2 liquid metal, reflects everything, no blurry details, electroplated, vacumeplated, truck-bumper-chrome. You need a high gloss basecoat of black to get this effect. I've seen it matched up against other paints and honestly when done right, it looks like a mirror.