Customs: Leader Prime LEDs

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Hakka, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Hakka

Hakka Well-Known Member

I've just added some LEDs to my Prime, an extra blue one in the head and some white ones on the back of the swords. I have an on/off switch for these lights, they run off the standard battery pack.

I would like to find the wires for the red lights in his chest and attach them to the new circuit. Anyone know the easiest way to get to them?

I was also thinking of putting some leds in his headlights that hang off the red chest pieces, the smallest LEDs I have are a little too deep, they will not clear his ribcage. I'm thinking maybe cut the headlights off and move them forward (away from his body) to give enough clearance. Has anyone successfully added lights to this area?

Hakka.

2. yongkykun

yongkykun Well-Known Member

Interesting. I think Big Hank will help you out soon enough. This is certainly his area.

3. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I believe ecline managed to get LEDs into those faux headlights on primes abdomen for his leader class diorama he did. In fact I'm positive he did, you may try pming him for advise on that.

4. Hakka

Hakka Well-Known Member

Another question, I notice when I have a bad connection the LEDs flicker, what I would like to do is make the swords flicker the whole time. Is there a way to do this other than have a dodgy connection?

Hakka.

5. Hakka

Hakka Well-Known Member

Here's where I'm at:

[​IMG]

Rather than open him up to look for the wires to the red LEDs I just added 2 blue ones that sit just in front of the red ones. When I activate the mechalive function with the other lights on, his chest alternates between blue and purple.

There are 3 leds on each sword. The LEDs are covered in aluminium foil to direct all light onto the swords. I might still add one more to each sword to light the inner edge a bit better.

My supplier has run out of LEDs until next week so I have some time to think about how to tackle those headlights.

Hakka.

Attached Files:

6. yongkykun

WOW cool! I guess I can't predict when Big Hank is going to show up after all ... But you've done great all by yourself Hakka!

7. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Hey Hakka, could you possibly show where exactly you put the new blue LEDs on Prime's chest? I just changed his head to blue and I am itching to do something about the red chest. Possibly some closer detail pics w/o the lights on. Maybe a description of how you actually attached them? I would love to do this to my Prime. Thanks, I would appreciate it immensely.

8. Hakka

Hakka Well-Known Member

I pulled those LEDs out and put them in Jetfire so i can't take pics, I just used 3mm leds, they sit right in front of the red leds that are already there. They are not attached to the chest they just hang there with the wires going up under his chest and over his back. Just pop the chest panel off at the top this will give you plenty of room to get it in there, once you pop the panel back down it will hold the LED in place and the wire will be hidden.

Let me know if you still need a pic it wont take long to put a LED back in there.

Hakka.

9. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    What about removing the faux headlights entirely and adding LEDs to his torso assembly. Then you line them up with his red chest panels so it looks like the LEDs are still connected to the chest panels?

10. yongkykun

won't that hinder the transformability?

11. Hakka

Hakka Well-Known Member

I wanted to drill out those fake lights and insert a 3mm led into each one, the sizes are spot on and it would have a red surround around the lights. I've seen one where the red pieces are completely removed but I'd like to keep them.

I might try grinding the top off the LEDs to get the necessary clearance, if that doesn't work I'll cut the red bits off and reattach them in a different spot. That will probably hinder the transformation but thats not an issue for me.

Hakka.