Customs: leader Prime arm fix- alternate way

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by domientius, Jan 20, 2008.

1. domientius

domientius Well-Known Member

I saw some instructions the other day about swapping the biceps on leader Prime as they were factory swapped. The sculpted details should be on the outside of the arm.

The instructions I saw involved taking apart the upper arm, which involves breaking glue that holds the part together and a lot of timy parts. Well, there's an easier way to do this that doesn't involve breaking any glue.

To note is thay there are 2 sized of screws involved, keep them sorted. The threadings are different. Watch for the springs and such inside the joint.

First, open the shoulder casings. 2 screws each. Be sure not to lose the small metal rod that keeps the blue flap on. Set pieces aside. Now, open the forearms. Remove the gun and set the arms flat, removing the 3 screws. The elbow screws are large, the wrist and back screws smaller. Carefully open the arm, watch for the springs and such inside the joint. The small blue detail bit on the top of the forearm is also a separate piece, keep an eye on it.

Good. Now the 2 bicep bits are free. Rotate the elbow cylinder around, swap them to the opposite forearms. Manually rotate the small black bit in each elbow joint so the notch lines up- it should face backward now. Press the bicep down over the spring and reassemble the forearm. Then reassemble the shoulders.

2. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    got pics?

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I did the same to mine as well. Your explanation is pretty clear as well :thumb  :) 

I hope you can shoot some photos :wink: 

4. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    What does the arm fix fix? Is it an articulation problem, or just some kind of appearance error?

5. domientius

domientius Well-Known Member

It's an aesthetic fix either method you do. The molded rounded detail should be on the outside of the arm and the screws facing the body, but the factory assembled it wrong. The entire bicep section for both arms is nearly identical so it'll work on the wrong side.

The method I read the other day. The only shared steps are 2 and 3 to open the shoulder casing. Otherwise, you bypass all the steps to disassemble the bicep and open the forearm instead. The part is probably glued for stability as there isn't room for a 2nd screw the way it's assembled. You also won't risk losing the tiny black piece.

It will be interesting to know if the Takara issuing, Nightwatch, or Premium fixes this.

Megatron had a similar swap in the hip joint parts of his legs. Except that DID affect things as the sculpted details got in the way of movement.

6. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:

I don't know if I'll worry about it or not now, seeing that it doesn't change how much I'll enjoy the figure, but if I do decide to do it... I'll go with your way. It sounds a lot less painful.

7. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

I fixed mine just like you did