Minor/Repaint: Leader Megatron's fusion cannon...(WIP)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by payton34, Oct 8, 2007.

1. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Okay, basically I'm wanting to give Leader Megatron a bit more streamlined fusion cannon, rather than what the figure uses.

Here are the parts used. Thanks to Jin Saotome for the idea of using the piece from Robot Replica Megatron. I sprayed the R.R. Megatron piece with Testors metallic silver enamel, and used Testors silver argen paint on the other weapon (I was still undecided as to which paint would look better, so I used one on each piece to see how they looked):

[​IMG]

Once I get them both the same color, they will be attached to look something like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still have to figure out a way to attach it to Megatron in cannon mode. I know it will (overall) look kinda long, but this is how I'm wanting the end result to look:

[​IMG]

This was the first time I've ever tried painting, and I've got the battle scars to prove it. I poked my finger with the X-acto knife, got super glue over two of my fingers and spilled half my paint on the table (thankfully I had newspaper laid out, lol).

Anyway, any comments or suggestions would be useful. Especially on how to attach it to Megatron.

2. JinSaotome

JinSaotome Banned

Ebay:
    Hey cool! It's definatly longer this time, I'm liking it. I can't remember the scene well but thought I remembered a long spike coming out of the end, or a barrel?

Attaching it should be easy. Glue spare pieces of plastic, like rods or something small, and wedge those into the empty clip-sections where the old fusion cannon parts attached to the back of his hands. You'll have to saw a groove and remove the other piece that's permanently pinned to his arm tho, can't remember if it's the left or right section.

3. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    silver enamel FTW> looks tight. take more pics when done!

4. payton34

News Credits:
    Okay, I've got a unified color now. I added touches of gold to the Robot Replica piece on top, and I may add a bit more here and there. In the next couple of days, I'll attach them together and then figure out a way to attach it to Megatron.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Optimus and Megs fight!
    This has a pretty good shot of his weapon. You already kind of have it on the money though, Still think it needs to be longer though (just the barrel part) but still. Great Job! :thumb 

6. payton34

News Credits:
    Okay, I finally found a screenshot from the movie scene where Megatron fires his fusion cannon:

[​IMG]

Upon further review I decided to take another piece and extend the cannon a bit as well as tweaking the end of it. Here's a comparison shot:

[​IMG]

Close-up of the new cannon piece:

[​IMG]

Shots of the new cannon attached to the R.R. Megatron piece:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, what do you guys think? Use the old cannon, or new cannon (or neither, lol)?

7. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Pull the front part off completely if you want to be movie accurate. Still will look nice though.

8. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    Sweet!

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I really like this custom, especialy since I have been trying to make one for my Megs.

But I must say, the end is too fat, and the barrel's just a little too thin. (Though that might just be from comparison)

Excellent use of the RR's fusion cannon with the Omnibot staff, and the paint came out real nice!:thumb 

10. payton34

News Credits:
    Okay, here's a minor update. I figured out that if you have Megatron in cannon mode, but with the two "engines" still folded back, you can flip up the top parts of his claw:

(sorry for the crappy pics, I'm using my cell phone)

[​IMG]

Once you do that, you can snap the R.R. Megatron piece into place around the claws:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since I haven't attached the cannon yet, I'm not sure if that will still hold up under the extra weight. But, assuming it does, I'm thinking about doing one of two things.

Either having a cable from underneath each arm feeding into the back of the cannon (to help fill in that gap/hole, looking somewhat similar to shockwave's gun arm, only the cables are underneath), or attaching two booster-type pieces to the back of the cannon.

I'm hoping to have all of this finished by tomorrow.

11. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Pretty Sweet! That is FTW! :D 

12. payton34

News Credits:
    Okay, I think I'm finished. I cut two tips of cell phone car chargers and attached them to the back of the cannon, to serve as a support when you snap the R.R. piece into place. It will prop it up perfectly in the meantime, until I find something a bit more permanent.

Here are pics with two...hoses, for lack of a better term...attached (ala- Shockwave):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and pics without the hoses.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aside from some minor paint touchups, and finding a more secure way to keep it in place (other than the two "boosters" propping it up at the bottom), this is pretty much the finished product.

What do you think? Hoses or no hoses?

13. starscream.pt

starscream.pt Well-Known Member

dam, that megs looks nice!

14. payton34

News Credits:
    Okay, I'm trying a larger/thicker barrel and a larger piece at the end. The jagged bits at the bottom, I may paint them gold.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, what are your thoughts? Keep going with the new one, or keep the old one?

15. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    The old one was a wee bit too thin in my opinion.

The new one with the jagged bits look rad!

16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I still think the end is way too big. If you look at the screen shot, it's just a little notch on each side of the barrel tip.

Definately love the new barrel though!

17. payton34

News Credits:
    Okay, I've tried it again without the two energon bits at the end so it's not so bulky:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've reached a bit of a mental block with the cannon, I'm not quite sure what to do next. In the meantime, I've been working on his spear.

Movie image:
    [​IMG]

Custom spear:
    [​IMG]

As far as the paint goes, I'm thinking about (1) gold staff with metallic silver blades or (2) silver staff, metallic silver blades and gold highlights here and there.

Any suggestions?

18. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    Holy fishsticks, that spear looks like something a Predator would wield. Coolness.

I'm down with number (2).

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Deffinately looking forward to seeing this. I can't right now as the school computers don't process certain images. But as soon as I get home expect a big :thumb  from me!

Can't wait to see that spear also.

20. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    GREAT idea and GREAT execution! Keep on rockin' with this piece! :thumb