Leader Ironhide to simplistic for Leader Class?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by OptimusPrimeFour, Jun 12, 2011.

?

Do you think Leader Ironhide's Transformation is to simplistic for Leader class?

Poll closed Sep 10, 2011.
  1. Yes, Hasbro/Takara could have made him better!

23.7%
  2. A little simple but it don't bother me.

16.9%
  3. No, He is perfect just the way he is!

22.0%
  4. Not Sure/Dont have him yet/not getting him.

37.3%
  1. OptimusPrimeFour

OptimusPrimeFour Autobot Supreme Comander

I just bought Leader Ironhide earlier today and even though I love how he looks in both robot and vehicle mode i have to say I am disappointed how easy and simplified his transformation really is. His feet fold out of the back of the truck and bottom legs rotate around... and that it for the legs! They cheat by using the fake grill and bumper on his chest and the fake truck parts on the outer side of his legs. His back kibble don't fold up any more or really lock in so its kinda just hanging around there. The Truck doors fold up twice and still stick out too much like a sore thumb in my point view. His head doesn't even rotate for me and that damn face plate don't lock in to place to pose him with out his face plate. Last but not least, I think they could have made his arm cannons a little bigger to better represent his on screen model. They just seem to small, the voyagers cannon are A lot bigger.

Now don't get me wrong here, I still think he is a fantastic figure and I do realize his really cool pop out weapons kind of hinder his transformation capabilities but for a Leader class figure his transformation is WAY to simple. Take a look at the previous good Leaders that have been given to us in the past... Leader Prime, Starscream, Sentinel Prime, Brawl, Jetfire, Hell even Leader Bumble Bee is a lot more intricate, fun and more feeling of accomplishment then Ironhide. Again don't get me wrong, he would make a superior Voyager Class toy but I think that he just don't stand up to the other previous Leaders. Those of you that have Leader Ironhide what are your thoughts?

2. Xaddion

Xaddion ...

News Credits:
    NOPE

Jetfire's limbs tucked away in one piece under his vehicle and getting all the panels to line up is excruciating.

3. StrifeZ

StrifeZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    No.

A lot of RotF was a step too far to be honest. Some of the Voyagers and higher basically required looking it up on Youtube, and Leader Prime takes about 20 minutes to transform the first time.

While I appreciate the technical complexity as an adult and collector, for kids, it's ridiculous. They'll transform it once and get pissed off.

Would I have liked Ironhide a little bit more complex? Yeah but it's honestly fine. I'd say, if anything, its historically closer to what Transformers have been since RiD, than the direction RotF went.

4. xion14

xion14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Repeating this. He is a kids toy. For a kid transforming him can be a lot more fun then the current Sentinel. I remember as a kid making up stories with them and when one took too long or was hard to Tf then me playing with them took an awkward halt so getting a cool looking more simple one was what I wanted. They aren't made mainly for us. Ones like Masterpieces and Classics to a point on the other hand are for us.

5. OptimusPrimeFour

I understand your direction but if the kids are having trouble with the more difficult leader transformation Hasbro does have more simplified classes like Fast Action Battlers, Gobots, legends, and other easy/quick changing figures. When I was a kid R.I.D. hardest transformers were Megatron and Ultra Magnus and I had no problem transforming them at all. I honestly believe that the more complexed figures make the kids think more on how to move different parts and panels. Its like a big puzzle with smaller pieces. Granted transforming robots does not interest every kid they still have other options to choose from like "robot fighters" "robots replicas", etc.

6. OptimusPrimeFour

I do realize these toy lines is for mainly kids and not mainly for adults collectors. That is why they have simpler classes for kids that have trouble with them. What about the kids that were like my self and others that had no problem figuring out a complex transformation and actually enjoy it???

7. Chromewear

Chromewear Well-Known Member

Haven't had an opportunity to play with Ironhide leader just yet but I disagree with jetfire leader Rotf. That was a piece of frustration. Like many said, Rotf Voyagers were way too difficult.
    The best transformation and accuracy amongst the leader class so far is starscream IMO

8. xion14

xion14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's usually a minority of kids who could do complex ones at the age of 5. Hasbro is looking for where they can get the most money out of and enjoyment in the lines. There are ones like ROTF Optimus for small kids who can do him.

9. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Simple is good. As long as it's not Animated Leader Megatron simple.

Stuff like ROTF Prime and DOTM Sentinel are just too complicated to the point where the transformation is more frustrating than fun or neat, but I guess it has to be done for more accurate robot modes and no cheating.

10. OptimusPrimeFour

That is a good point. I just don't want figures to get to easy cause that can make it less interesting and fun. At least for me anyways I always get amazed at the amount of engineering they can put into a figure like ROTF Leader Prime for example.

11. OptimusPrimeFour

Yea I hate that Whole "cheating" thing... If the figure is suppose to have a tire/window/lights on a specific area they should really use there heads to try and figure out how to make it possible. Unless it is absolutely necessary to make the figure look its best and no other way to transform/move that certain car part.

12. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    I do agree. Looking at a youtube vidio,the transformation seems even more simpler than the DOTM Voyager. The Leader's transformation process looks very similar to the HFTD Deluxe in fact.

13. StrifeZ

StrifeZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Honestly, Leader Prime isn't the worst example.

The worst is by far RotF Mixmaster. A minor character at a Voyager price point, in a hideous color scheme. His robot mode is an abomination... it looks like well... something vaugely humanoid. And the transformation to vehicle mode? I had to look it up on Youtube to figure hout how to make the cement mixer the first time, and then how to fit everything in the cab... and I'm usually pretty awesome at being able to transform Transformers without instructions the first time (I did leader Prime like that).

I guess you can say, if you gave a kid RotF Mixmaster, he'd have good reason never to touch transformers again. I mean look at it objectively: pretend it didn't say Transformers on the box. Pretend it said "Truck Troopers". Would you consider buying it at all? I wouldn't.

I guess what I'm saying is, something like Mixmaster is a step too far for the line. It doesn't have to be easy... I'd Leader Starscream is a much better representitive of what I'd call "the limit" compared to Leader Prime (Starscream isn't hard, but isn't obvious). I just think there is simply a limit as to how complex a transformer should be made, and I guess asthetically, what it transformers into.

14. OptimusPrimeFour

Agreed 100% I feel sometimes that Leader Ironhide is just a over sized version of the HFTD Deluxe just with electronics and gimmicks lol

15. Timesynch

Timesynch Is a Bad Hombre!

News Credits:
    I think HFTD Leader/MP-M01 Starscream got it right with the perfect combination of challenging/interesting yet not frustratingly difficult transformation engineering and virtually zero kibble (even that back folding head piece can be used to store his missiles more cleanly than using the peg holes on the back wings). Such a great figure/mold and fun to mess around with since he's built rock solid with a nice heft to him.

Now I don't have any other of the Leader class figures but I've read they each had their share of problems, from being too complex but still kickass (ROTF Prime) to being ugly/simplistic (any of the Megatrons so far), to being way too kibbly or cheating with engineering (Jetfire). It can be tricky to find a balanced middle ground between character accuracy, transformation difficulty, and most of all just plain fun.

16. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

My only issue with leader Ironhide is the sheer amount of kibble on his back and especially his arms. I would have hoped for a transformation for a figure of leader size to be cleverly designed enough so that he didn't have, frankly, HUGE flappy bits of alt mode just hanging off his forearms. IMO it really detracts from the overall aesthetic of the figure.
    I can totally understand that the DotM toys needed to be simplified this time around in terms of complexitiy of transformation, but I would rather have had some more kibble just tucked away on the back instead of making the arms look butt ugly. Is this poor design or just a symptom of a basic transformation?
    Oh well, lots of people love him I guess so who am I to complain, particularly when I'm happy enough with my 07 movie voyager.

17. masishadow

masishadow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hmm...I really really don't like ROTF prime or Jetfire. Getting ready to sell a majority of TF's and was putting them all in vehicle mode. I didn't use instructions for any of em even though I hadn't messed with em in 1.5 years...most of them I just looked and went.."oh that goes there and that there and I'm done."

Jetfire is still sitting in a jumbled mess because I don't want to mess with him yet

Rotf Arcee's transformation is escaping me at the moment. Stupid ass ugly bike, no problem with Chromia.

18. OptimusPrimeFour

Yes for a Leader there is way to much kibble on him. those frickin arms and back drive me nuts! they could have made it so they fold up and tuck away more.

19. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I have to completely agree here. A lot of times, when cheats are done on toys, I feel cheated.

20. Robot.MacGyver

Robot.MacGyver Improvisational Engineer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think that the biggest cheat of all is poor Q.C. and poor design.
    On one hand, I do like Ironhide, but yeah, that kibble sucks.
    I think they rushed this guy out before they had adequate time to refine the design.
    Compared to Leader Starscream, (which is an OPUS of TF design) Ironhide is little more that a nursery rhyme.
    I personally have picked up 3 Ironhide's and returned them all due to defects.
    It was on the 4th, that I finally got a decent one.
    The shoulder joints on the other 3 were so loose, they could not stay up under their own weight.
    2 of those 3 were also missing a leg ratchet so one of the legs didn't click and kinda flopped around too.
    Floppy roof hatch and glued neck......sigh...

I agree, altogether too simplistic, and my own opinion, a major sufferer of a rushed design.