Customs: Leader DoTM Megatron through Shapeways?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by misternewuzer, Jul 1, 2011.

1. misternewuzer

misternewuzer Predacon Secret Police

How possible is this? Like if you had a 3D scanner (which I'm sure in itself is difficult to own) and scanned the individual pieces that make up Voyager Megs, and reprinted them in a larger scale... I mean, is that possible/ practical? I'd pay $100-$150 or more for a kit of pieces to rebuild a Leader Megs on my own.

Anyways, anyone think this is possible, and might have a direction they can point me in to get this done?

2. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    possible for a skilled artist but expect to pay a lot more than that

cashanova did a shell kit to upgrade and ultra class silverbolt into a galvatron, i think he said the parts alone were nearly 400 from shapeways.

but even then the material isnt perfect and requires some prepwork.

you could save your self a little if you could find someone to design just the wings and the arms, but it would definantly take a lot of time and some trial and error since the two molds are quite differrent

3. Algernon

Algernon Radicon Acolyte

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure we'll be getting an official DOTM Leader Megatron.

4. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

My Chibi-Devs, which is about the same size as Voyagers in general, which cost $282. It is inherently as complex and has just as many parts as a voyager.

So if you want a leader, look at $450-$500. Yeah, not very nice.

5. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

how many parts did your chibi-devs end of being?

6. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just wait for an oversized KO from china. That would be way cheaper.

7. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

About 150 give or take. Came out to a voyager class, however, mine wasn't clam shelled. Leader Megatron likely is clam shelled, and hence takes rice the number of parts, and those parts cant be hollowed as much. Thus, he'll be very costly. Also, Leader Megs has a lot of joints in him to hold up that weight. Some joints cant be replicated through Shapeways because of the material being too weak, like Ratchet joints.

Also, I talked to Cashanova a while ago, and his Galvatron was NOT 400. It was actually ~200 mark, but since he bought two, it cost him about 400 for the two. He used the profit from selling the first one to fund the second one, iirc. Not to mention, this was a shell, without actual limbs. It required a Universe Silverbolt to work. Hence, it was actually VERY cheap for it's size. With the limbs, you'd expect at least 450 for just one.

I agree with Venksta. It may be completely possible to upscale Voyager Megs to a Leader, but it'd cost you practically an extra mortgage on your house. An oversized KO is bound to be coming, there's few things that aren't bootlegged these days.

8. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    At this point, I'd think the best bet would be to kitbash/scratchbuild a leader DotM Megs. I also think we need to play the waiting game:

I'm not. I'm uncertain that we won't get one either.

This may be a good option, depending on size and availability.