Heavy/Scratch: Leader DOTM Dreads WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by PrimeIV, Mar 13, 2012.

?

What do you think?

1. Awesome!

26 vote(s)
    63.4%
  2. Uh, ok, great if it works

12 vote(s)
    29.3%
  3. Eh....

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Not so much

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. PrimeIV

PrimeIV The sheep that got lost

Ebay:
    This is my first custom and I have a horrible habit of trying to do more than I can. I've assembled most of my materials and sketches. What I have now, before I begin working and posting updates are a few quick questions:

1. I'd like to do them scaled to their real world alternates. I have the specs for the vehicles, but I haven't been able to find any specs or stats on their robot mode. (For instance, Optimus Prime, IIRC, in the movie-verse stands roughly 33 feet tall.) Call it OCD that I want the figures to be true scales to both their vehicle modes and to their stature in the movies.

2. After researching pretty exhaustively and understanding how it's probably a very bad idea to try, I'd still rather try to cast the pieces myself. That said, any tips would be appreciated.

3. When scaling up, do I need to increase the size of the pins/pivots? Rather, if this is a true upscaling of a Deluxe toy, the proportional increase should include the posts and pegs? (I know the ball joints, etc. would)

Wish me luck!

I'll begin posting part spec sketches/designs as I get them scanned in.

Attached Files:

2. Starscream217

Starscream217 You will address me as LORD Starscream...

Great idea!! obviously not in scale but this sounds awesome. I would definitely keep an close eye on this. I'm a big fan of the dreads!

3. sezz

sezz Screenaccuracypurist

I wouldn't make it anupscaled version of the deluxe toy, if you put in the effort to scratch build this figure, you might as well make it more movie accurate. As for the joints I use the lego exoforce for my leader bumblebee, these can support a lot of weight.
    Anyways, good luck and I hope to see your first update soon :) 

4. PrimeIV

Ebay:
    Thanks for the advice on the joints!

I began the idea as an upscaled deluxe (and I'm still considering using some facets of the deluxe design) but as I've researched and prepped, I keep coming around to the movie stills. My wife is sick of seeing the highway scene frame by frame. (Although my boy is stoked that not only does he get to watch with me, but he gets to play with the big boy transformers while I work.)

First update scheduled for tomorrow, blacklining the foot, lower leg, and thigh blueprints for scanning. Making a last minute run to the craft shop for a few extra materials.

5. sh4d0w dweller

sh4d0w dweller Well-Known Member

sounds like a great idea good luck

6. PrimeIV

Ebay:
    Ok, so after a week of more research, and poring over the concept art, plus the real life suburbans used...the math is done, the prints are done, and the process has been adjusted.

I'm starting with the hands. For the size I'm looking to build, the hands are (and were the first real part I sketched out) 3/4 in. across the palm. The fingers, to reflect the predatory nature of the Dreads, have been elongated and slimmed. Each finger is tapered to an edge so that when viewed from the point, it evokes a blade shape.

I've added a (covered) ball and socket joint for the thumb and individual lateral joints for each finger at the knuckle, in addition to the joints at each section of the finger.

To make the molds I'll use sculpey cut with a scalpel and a rigged depth/angle frame. Once the molds are baked and solid, I'll use plastic resin with gray opaque dye. After the resin is poured into the mold through an opening in the top, I'll use a stable centrifuge (like a potters wheel with brackets to hold the mold) to force any pesky bubbles out.

Once all 15 pieces have cured I'll assemble them (well, 30 really) and post the pictures.

7. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

As for scale, you could work backwards a bit. I know there are scale charts for the first two movies out there. So find that and check Optimus height versus Ironhides. Then check the movie and you should be able to roughly gauge the height of the dreads to Ironhide in the "mexican standoff" scene. It'll be rough scale, but it'll give you some idea at least.

8. PrimeIV

Ebay:
    Thats part of what I've been checking, I've also been trying to by bumper to bumper length and roof height.

9. UltraMagnus2008

UltraMagnus2008 Autobot

News Credits:
    Why not use leader Ironhide as the base, and fakebusters set of Dred hands on shapeways? Not trying to belittle your efforts by any means. The Ironhide mold is very versatile though, the chest isn't used during transformation, so you could get a screen accurate, chest, the rest would have to have lots of fold out spikes etc to get the organic nature

10. PrimeIV

Ebay:
    Lost everything I had replied with. Oh well, I'm holding on to the Ironhide base as a fallback option. I'd like to aim high and tremendously screw up, then move to the more workable idea. Wow, that is stubborn. In any case, that's likely the plan for Dino/mirage and leader bumblebee.