Leader Class vs. Masterpiece Thoughts

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Optimus Vader, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I'm a little curious what some of you more experienced collectors think about the Leader Class figs. I haven't been collecting for very long and recently got MP Skywarp (Hasbro) and Leader RoTF Prime. I really like both of them and when comparing them the Leader Prime seems just as detailed (if not more) than the MP figure. I feel like I just got a "Masterpiece" fig in Prime for only $35, but then again; I've only seen two MP's in person (Hasbro and Takara SW). Maybe the Prime I got is just in really good painted shape, or just that I haven't seen many MP's to compare, but I'm really impressed with the detail.. and again, for only $35.

So I guess my question here is; how do you guys think Leader Prime compares to some of the other MP figs?

2. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    I would say that ROTF Leader Prime is right up there with Masterpieces. Then Again, the guy that designed him is the same one that designed MP-01

3. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    I'd say ROTF Prime is pretty comparable to the Masterpiece figures. If he was a MP figure though, he'd have articulated hands though.

4. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There are quite a number of mainline toys in the last ten years I'd say have Masterpiece-level engineering and design. TF1 Leader Brawl with a new head, some remolding and massive paint apps would make a fun Masterpiece G2 Megs.

And Binaltech & Alternity are Masterpiece without the name, as far as I'm concerned.

5. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I'd say RotF Leader Prime is fairly comparable to the Masterpiece line. Wouldn't put him on the exact same level as say...Masterpiece Megatron, but he is certainly near their ranks as far as detail, complexity, and the like. The paint just doesn't quite compare though (at least with the US release of him).

6. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I've been saying since the first pics of Buster Prime that he belongs up there w/ the Masterpiece figures. I just an hour ago completed my Masterpiece collection (MP-01 -- MP-08, plus the 20th Anni Primes and MP-01B), and I am patiently awaiting Buster to show up. The level of engineering, the chrome, the paint apps, all lead me to consider Buster as good as the MPs. I really hope that Hasbro and Takara can keep bringing us this level of quality. So long as they do that, I will buy all of their stuff.

EDIT: Agreeing w/ MonkeyBusiness and clarifying what I said, I agree that only Buster Prime is at the level of a Masterpiece figure. Neither Leader Megs certainly is there and even Brawl was only ok. Leader Starscream has the potential, but would need better paint apps such as those on Buster Prime before he would be at MP level quality.

7. MonkeyBusiness

MonkeyBusiness Autobot Engineer

I'd say that RotF Leader Prime, with some better paint, is Masterpiece-class. He's the only main line figure that I'd consider to be "there".

8. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

Appreciate all the feedback!

Agreed on the Alternity stuff. The only one I have is the Black Nissan Megs, but it's definitely one of my favs.

MP Megs looks great from the pictures I've seen, but I've never seen one in person. He's probably going on my "2010 Need" list though.

9. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Definitely a worthy purchase. Gets a worse rep than he deserves too IMO. He can be a bit fiddly (certainly the hardest TF there is to transform), and the parts aren't the most sturdy, but if you pay attention and know what you're doing, it's not that bad. My fav figure I own..at least until I get my Knight Morpher Commander next year.

10. unmc2001

unmc2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just got my Buster Prime yesterday and he is amazing to look at even in the box. I have yet to free him though.

11. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Roll out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I agree that RotF Optimus is the only currently available Leader that is comparable to Masterpiece TFs. Paint apps aside, it's as close as we'll ever get to a "true" MP movie Optimus. The extreme detail, complex transformation, good poseability, and near-perfect screen accuracy definitely put it on par with MP TFs.

12. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I tend to like Leaders more. Dunno why, just do.

13. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Prolly because they are, as I said not quite on the same level as Masterpieces, are at least comparable in some sense, but have a much more toy-like quality to them.

To me I like my Masterpieces for the transformations, I love the complexity of them. Something like Leader Prime gives that same complexity, and I don't feel nervous trying to ram Jetfire into his ass like I can get transforming Megatron.

14. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    ROTF Leader Prime is nice, and really only has paint applications and articulated hands to go to the next level. The transformation for him rates, to me, below MP Grimlock and MP Prime, about on par with the MP Seeker mold, and better than MP Megatron. So I think it holds it's own there too. That's why there's a billion customs out there doing just that. The Jetfire "power up" part is pretty meh, but that's a separate figure.

The other leader class figures, either from the 2007 movie, ROTF, Animated, or anything else I've seen falls far short of the MP title. I have hopes that the 2011 line will show us another amazing Leader figure, but I have fears that Leader prime might have just set an impossible standard.

15. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I own ROTF Prime, and DAMN he's an epic figure. I don't own any MP figures, so I don't have anything to compare him too, but he's probably just set an extremely high standard for Leader Class toys. I have two other Leaders besides him, RiD Ulta Magnus and Animated Megatron, both of which can stand up well in the Leader category with a contender like Prime, but eventually succumb to his awesomeness! :lol 

16. decor1

decor1 Hey, take it easy!

I feel like the Leader class is evolving, whereas MP has been superb from the beginning. I have MP Prime, movie 1 Leader Prime, ROTF Leader Prime, and ROTF Leader Jetfire. Movie 1 Leader Prime wasn't up to par, neither is Jetfire or either Leader Megatrons. Leader Starscream seems to be up to ROTF Prime's level, so if they continue on this path, I feel that Leader class will be able to compare fairly to MP (MP Megatron is next on my wish list!)

17. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Well, Leader OP definatly matches MP in complexity, detail, and articulation and accuracy. Though MP beats him in Paint, features, and cow-bell.

18. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I agree with the consensus here on ROTF Leader Prime. It's an amazing figure... and certainly on par with the MP line. However I think it might be a little unfair to compare it to Masterpiece figures. ROTF Prime was a guaranteed seller... a popular character with a HUGE marketing push behind him, manufactured in large quantities. All of these factors contribute to a lower price point, while most Masterpieces are considerably more limited in the broadness of their appeal and distribution. $35 is a great deal for ROTF Prime, but let's remember that his normal price point is about the same as US Edition MP Skywarp.

For Japanese Masterpiece edition figures, we also have to add the "import" factor, which also impacts on the price tag.

Exactly... this is one of the reasons I think ROTF Prime comes across so well... besides his tremendous level of detail and engineering, he's also designed to be a toy, and so has a degree of durability that many MP figures sacrifice as "collectibles".

For what it's worth, I'll weigh in my alternative opinion on MP Megatron...

I have a number of high-end Chogokin style Japanese robots, ROTF Prime, Hasbro MP Prime, Hasbro MP Starscream, Hasbro MP Skywarp, Takara MP Skywarp (surprisingly quite a difference in quality to the Hasbro version) and Takara MP Grimlock... and MP Megatron.

Megatron is far and away the most fragile, awkwardly engineered, unstable, poorly balanced, overpriced piece of junk in my collection! Whoever designed him seems to have taken a fiendish delight in building crucial joints out of thin, brittle plastic, and making him a spindly mess with a gigantic oversized weight (his scope/cannon) hanging off one side of him, with no compensating factors built into the design. The flaws in this design never cease to amaze me.

So buy one if you must... but try not to spend too much. He is extremely detailed and meticulously constructed, but if you're looking for something with the same pleasing mix of complexity and solidity possessed by ROTF Prime, you're going to be disappointed. The MP Seekers make MP Megatron look like a Faberge egg by comparison.

Just wanted to give you fair warning.

On the other hand, MP Grimlock is relatively simple in terms of his transformation, but he's rock solid, and an absolute blast to handle.

zmog

19. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ditto on RotF Leader Prime; the Buster version will be showing up in the mail hopefully sometime next week from Robot Kingdom (I waited to order him). I'd change some things about the arms/hands (added articulation) and give him a second gun...but really that's just nitpicking.

I guess the only other thing might be adding extra Peter Cullen soundclips for amusement/nostalgia.

I do still like Leader Brawl and Animated Leader Megs and Ultra Magnus...but they're all still a staircase below Prime. Hopefully with the extra time and (presumably) no design change for the third film, a third Leader Megs will measure up to the current Leader Prime. That's what I'm hoping for anyways.

20. Rquiem

Rquiem Dutchbot

News Credits:
    Offcourse its an opinion.

But keep in mind that from a gun to a robot that has to resemble megatron G1 was probably the hardest thing to do.

Either a fat gun or a somewhat skinny robot. Well I think they choose correctly. Yes because he's skinny he is hard to stand or pose. But as a whole he looks really good.

I agree on the gun, That is really heavy. But it wasnt a deal breaker in my case. The enginering is stunning. If thats not youre thing, maybe its better to stay with a G1 Megatron, or the universe one. G1 has the correct gunmode, and Universe has the robotmode. To me MP Megs is top off the line.

OT:

I think Leader ROTF Prime is a very good step in the direction MP is in. Japanese version without the mask is probably closest to the MP mark.
    I am really excited as to what Has/Tak has for us with the up and coming 3d movie.
    Since Starscream seems so well engineerd aswel.