Leader class starscream EU version

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Drone81, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Drone81

Drone81 Well-Known Member

just got mine here in belgium in a toystore, great figure, no argue there ;-)

but he suffers from the EU vs US voice syndrome, he only says, "starscream" and "decepticons" ( + the engine sound )

while saying "decepticons" makes some how sense ( like if he would call for help ), but just saying "starscream", its more something that megatron ( or any decepticon ) would say.

i dont get it, there al made in china, why the hell are there different voice chips in the EU and US versions :-/

2. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Because English isn't the dominate language in every European country.

3. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My guess is the voice chips are all the same, and just need certain addresses activating to initiate the other phrases.
    Having said that, my UK leaders only have transformation & engine/weapon sounds and the also say their name. Do the US toys say more?

4. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The name calls are longer.

Optimus: "I am Optimus Prime"
    Megatron: "I. AM. MEGATRON!!"
    Jetfire: "Jetfire's the name"
    Starscream: "No-one can defeat Starscream" and another phrase that I'm forgetting involving the word "Decepticons"

5. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

The U.S. versions says, "No one can defeat Starscream!" and "Decepticons will crush the Autobots!"

6. Atin

Atin Well-Known Member

Can I ask you where you bought it?

7. Drone81

true, but then again why no french or german versions, some of the more dominate languages in the EU . . .

je suis starscream

ich ben starscream

years ago they releasd "black and white", a video game in the dutch language, it sounded like CRAP and where forced by just 1,5 countries ( holland and the flemish part of belgium ) to release a english language patch.

FUN toy store, parklaan, 9100 sint-niklaas belgium

( right across the street from me :p  )

8. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I couldn't care less about the voice gimmicks. They don't bother me, but the only Leader sound effect that I kind of think is cool or worth is when you snap Jetfire together and he makes the old school transformation sound.

9. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Because it would cost more to produce a figure in multiple languages.

10. Drone81

and creating 2 'different' voicechips doesn't cost more?

leader classes "level 5" aint for kids, but for "adult" 'collectors' who i can assume have a basic understanding of english.

11. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

It's cheaper than producing one in English, another in Spanish, another in French, another in Italian, etc.

It's the same reason why your packaging has bios in 12 different languages.

12. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Yep, we have a winner. That's the reasoning, it's cheaper to make two versions of the toy and three packagings (Single, Trilingual, International) than making a different version of the toy for each and every region that it is to be released in. Especially if international distribution is wonky and only sees a release in certain regions.

It's simply not practical to make a version in every language on the assumption that every one of those regions will actually get the toy.

Flawed comparison really. If that language patch is as you say, it changed the Dutch dub to English, then it probably cost very little to put together as the resources were already there from the international release. You can't language patch a toy, and toys have a smaller market than video games.

Although at the same time that kind of controversy is why we get the name only chips I think - to limit the complaints about the toy speaking a different language. It's hard to complain that the toy does something different to the US one with its sound chip because they say "products may vary" and it's equally impossible to complain about the name being as is, because names are more or less universal now.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  13. Drone81

i just took 2 countires i know are "famous" for dubbing everything that comes out on tv and movie theaters and who knows what else :p 

i know there wil be never a 'official' version released ( perhaps in japan ) with another language then english; i dont make a problem of that, its was bad enough they dubbed transformers animated over here in dutch, "allspark" was translated to "oervonk" ( i have no idea how to translate it to english ) .

but the core question remains, why are they still putting in 2 different voice chips in figures clearly meant to be sold to "adults".

as a fan i want to hear the figure say something ( like the US version ) other then its name, the name of the figure is printed a "billion" times on the package, manual, warnings . . .

its the main reason that i ( for the moment ) wont buy ROTF Optimus Prime ( altough i prefer buster prime if i ever get the change to buy 1 :p  ) in a toy store here.

US version: I am Optiumus Prime

EU version: Optimus Prime <= i know that already, your name is on the box etc . . .

14. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    How much did it cost?

It is a bit weird to see them starting to dub the voices now, btw. Especially because TFA's leaders still had english lines. It doesn't really bother me though, the batteries always immediately come out anyways. :lol 

And holy shit, did they really translate it to Oervonk? That's just....Wow.

15. Blitzving

Blitzving Has issues...

In Europe, they think transformers are Pokemon. They think he says his name as a means of communication

16. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    These are toys. They ARE meant for kids. Yes, these are high end toys that will have a lot of appeal to collectors and Hasbro knows that, but at the end of the day, when deciding what to release, they think about kids first.

17. MrMark

MrMark Minifigure

News Credits:
    I'm glad Hasbro UK distributed the US leader SS and Prime. Unlike when ROTF leaders were released and Hasbro Uk shipped the EU versions in error. Which sadly my Megs was :( . They later sent the US leaders to UK retail. I kind of prefer the Megatron laugh anyway.

For mainland europe the 'Deception' and Starscream' chip will be the norm.

18. Drone81

€69,99 - 10% discount coupon = €63, about the same price if i had to have it shipped from the uk, but then again, belgium and there ******** taxes.

leader class figures went from +/- €50 for the 2007 movie line to anywhere between €55 and €70 for the 2009 line.

these are reasons why i visite the toystores from time to time in the neterlands :p 

they haven't dubbed the voices on the animated leader class figures ( thank jesus, allah, sheeva, bhoeda, . . . ), just in the cartoons, but it sounds retarded :( 

19. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

If it bothers you that much then buy one off of an American web site.

20. Drone81

and then spend half the amount of the value of the figure on shipping costs? :crazy: