Customs: Leader class Ironhide Kibble mod?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by erwinsims, Jun 25, 2017.

1. LizardbotHero

LizardbotHero Arial Reconnaissance

Ebay:
    My wife just found me a junker Leader Ironhide at a rummage sale today, so I'm looking forward to trying out some of these mods without having to cut into my good figure first! (Score)

2. erwinsims

erwinsims Well-Known Member

Yeah I NEED that mod!! that has been on my list even before I bought one, it makes him so much better!
    With my chestmod, his head will be in another location (more to the front than before) so another way to attach the head is needed. b est to get it there as postable as can be :D 

That looks really good! I have opted to go without battlemask.. I never liked him with and in the movies I alsways saw him without.

I want to share my leg-idea with you so I could have some input on this..
    this is the space we have to work with:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    lets just say that we have LOTS of room there.. here I compare him with HA-Bumblebee (of witch I intend to use the legs, hips and torso part)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see there is a LOT of room left if I can use the legs and parts and that is a good thing since Ironhide's feet are HUGE
    [​IMG]

Since Ironhide is much wider than Bee, I am thinking of trying to put the feet either on the same place as bee's feet (hanging "under" his legs) and attach the wheels on the sides with a hinge that makes it collapse under his feet in altmode like on the HFTD deluxe Ironhide (sigh.. that one in leaderclass would have been the dream) or put them in sideways and attach the wheels by swivel-joint and hide them in the same place..
    I need to wait for the yellow junker-bee so I can disassemble the black one and fit them to Ironhide to see what works best..

the tail section of Ironhide did have some good news, it consists of 3 parts so if I can use bee's legs I might be able to spit it up and connect the parts somehow onto his legs witch would improve his robotmode a lot.

any toughts?

oh.. this is how I am going to do the backpack on him.. these pictures show it slightly better.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. erwinsims

now that is a lucky draw.. and how awesome she did pick it up for you to.. that is true love right there :D 

what mods will you try out?

4. LizardbotHero

LizardbotHero Arial Reconnaissance

Ebay:
    I'm not entirely sure yet, and it'll probably be a while until I have time for it. But I'm thinking I'd like to try simplifying the kibble and maybe moving the arm kibble to the back and finding a way to make things compress a little more. I'll probably gut it out too since the electronics don't do anything for me anyway. I'd really be appreciative if you guys could make some tutorials as your mods look great!

5. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    The backpack is very similar to how l approached it, which seems to be the best case scenario. In my head l kinda scoffed a little atbusing Bees legs but the proof is in the pudding! It sure looks like it can work!

6. erwinsims

That sure is a thing that improves on the model A LOT!!
    I indeed used Big Hank's idea as a startingpoint since all other ideas used magnets and that feels like parts-forming. Biggest difference between Hank and mine is that since I deleted the electronics, I cut into his "spleen" (the 1 cm ridge that holds the long button for the gut-gun) and turned it up side down in there, the window sinks in deeper this way and with the trunk bed sides tucked in it makes a remarkably smaller backpack.

To me that was a no-brainer since the electronics feel a bit toyish and to be frank annoyed me immensity while transforming.. and it is a bit weird.. someone who screams his name while you fiddle with him is a bit odd..
    look at my pictures to see how much space it takes to have that stuff in there, I scraped out 15 mm (slightly over half an inch) and there is still enough rigidity to have all the parts transform.

There are some things to figure out indeed but I have 3 bumblebee junkers and that gives me some stuff to play with. but I get enthusiastic about the swivel-waist and the fact that most of his robot junk actually is hidden by the car itself.
    it is after all a trans-former, not a if-you-look-at-it-from-the-righ-angle-you-can't-see-the-kibble-hanging-there-former to me.

7. big hank

News Credits:
    Well keep hammering away man, you are progressing well! I have to unpack my workshop and pickup some new supplies. It's been a couple years since l made any customs........damn real life lol

8. erwinsims

Ah.. I have had the same issue.. restoring a car, moving into a new house.. those kind of things gets you distracted from customizing Transformers..
    this is my second build so I am still a bit scared of how I can do this.

But if you never try, you will never learn!.

Today I also looked at E-bay.. bad thing to do. I am thinking of buying some KO's to mod aswell...
    But that is a sidetrack

9. erwinsims

I received my Bumblebee junkers today! they were a steal at 6 dollars for both :D 

these 3 will help to give me one good bumblebee and plenty spares for Ironhide's legs once he is done!

I am willing to make a separate (re)buildtread for bee if people are curious what I will do to him.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. erwinsims

Bee is almost done, So it is time to get back to Ironhide and his legs!

Here is Bee pointing at the table where Ironhide awaits..
    [​IMG]

*krrrrrr* -Radiobeep- Coldplay song "fix u"

11. erwinsims

Ok.. silliness aside, I have started on Ironhide again.

Before I could start with the legs, I had to final-fit his torso-parts, I guess you can imagine it needed to be reinforced.
    here are 2 pictures of what I was left with after removing the battery box, part of the spleen and all but the essential parts of the sides and overall cleanup
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The front needed the part in witch the wheels loch in vehicle mode and of course the head.
    (this part)
    [​IMG] It is the top part from this part [​IMG]

I also decided to re-use the battery box lid to add even more strength

With a strong 2 part epoxy, some cursing and a little time later, we have the upper body a hellavalot stronger
    [​IMG]
    Yeah.. that butflap is a pain in the well.. ass!

dry-fit for the bodyplate (epoxied in hence the yellow line you see)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The backpack looks huge in this picture, but it is a nice clean fit that looks great!
    I now need to get back to the legs as I promised before I got sidetracked with customizing a Human Alliance Bumblebee (well to be fair, one Bee did offer up his legs for Ironhide)

Legs:

2 things that I don't yet see..
    Transformation-wise the parts will fit in the Truck bed, but they still stick out a bit if I use the standard Bumblebee transformation, Besides I do need to find a good way to add the wheels to them in a way that looks awesome in Botmode
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I also am a bit in doubt about the feet, cause they look a bit bulky still and I find it a bit of a waste to have 3 pieces (the aft-section of the trunk bed) to be stuck in one mode, I prefer to split them up.
    and... I might want to add one inch to his height so he looks better next to my Human alliance figures.

I know, I am MAD

12. big hank

News Credits:
    You're kicking butt man......a passing thought, maybe take a spare BB forearm with hand and convert to a swappable tight arm for non cannon mode? Seems doable

13. big hank

News Credits:
    So l totally don't want to come off spammy, or like l am hijacking your thread but l found an old vid l did outlining some of my mods. I used a crappy cell phone so the video is not pristine,nor is the audio but if l recall it explains fairly well some of the aspects of how l am approaching my Ironhide......

14. erwinsims

Awesome!!
    Thanks for that!

And I do not mind if you (or anyone else for that matter) post usefull pictures or vids in this tread, I don't see that as Hijacking but as helping!

So thanks again!

15. erwinsims

Looking at the polystone Statue of Ironhide reveals he has quite big legs and they are a bit kibbely (is that a word?) but as Robot, not as a car thank sillyness.. Now All I need to do is find a way to make it transforms and hide away in a good way as a car.. easy does it (not!)

here is the statue for picturable reference :
    Ironhide Polystone Statue aus Transformers 61 cm

I guess I need to use bits and pieces from Ironhide as well as Bumblebee I think..

For now I guess I will sit back in my corner and fear a little bit ;-P

[​IMG] [​IMG]

and a Video:

16. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    This is some seriously good work here!

I have a slightly different interest in removing the unnecessary bits: I'd like to see the vehicle mode be a fully fledged Human Alliance vehicle like the other HA figures. By removing the parts, does that free up enough room in the cab to possibly kitbash the interior for a HA cab compartment? I've always thought it would.

17. erwinsims

Hello, thanks for the interest in my Ironhide project.

The answer is not really since the arms take up most of the cabinspace and the back is halfway in the cabin just under the door..

However.. it is a BIG vehicle and if you are truely skilled in kitbashing it can be done if you take just the car as startingpoint and remove the robot and replace it with a completly different robot like Leader Bumblebee.

There is more than enough room in there and the car holds together quite well without robotjunk in or on it but It will be a huge puzzle to start with.