Customs: Leader class Ironhide Kibble mod?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by erwinsims, Jun 25, 2017.

1. erwinsims

erwinsims Well-Known Member

Hello, Since I decided to go Human Alliance size for scale purposes,
    It seems logical to check out the leader class figures like Optimus, Sentinel and Ironhide for the scale
    (still checking to find a properly scaled Ratchet)

First off, I care more about scale and acuracy then OEM (I would not mind KO toys )
    So, any sugestions would be welcome.

I was wondering if there is anyone out there that has done a kibblemod on Leader Ironhide,
    I want to keep it transformable but Would love to see the car much more clean (less robot under the car)
    The best Ironhide I have seen is the deluxe version but that is obviously way to small.

I do'nt care for electronics or the "chestgun" nor do I care for the guns in alt mode, so they can all go.
    Just curious if there is anyone that has done some work on this guy?

2. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    I have done some stuff to my Leader Ironhide. Mainly focusing on improving the bot mode. Kinda the opposite of you but anyway:

I removed the truck kibble from his arms and added it to his backpack. Makes his backpack look big from the back view, but from the front it actually looks great!
    Screenshot_2017-07-06-22-17-34-1.png
    Screenshot_2017-07-06-22-17-58-1.png
    Screenshot_2017-07-06-22-18-14-1.png
    Screenshot_2017-07-06-22-18-24-1.png
    I added aftermarket articulated hands, and that big movie accurate set of cannons (forgot who made them)

I also made some transformable articulated his toes for better accuracy on his feet.
    Screenshot_2017-07-06-22-17-01-1.png
    Screenshot_2017-07-06-22-16-54-1.png
    Screenshot_2017-07-06-22-16-43-1.png
    Screenshot_2017-07-06-22-16-48-1.png

Cant wait to see your approach! Sorry for the obnoxiously long post!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  3. erwinsims

Thanks for your reply, I have seen some awesome mods to his robot mode but not that much to his alt mode.. Since I want to have the vehicle mode to be good to that now had my priorities.
    I bought one and it should be here any day now. I am curious to see if I can make some room in carmode for his robotparts once I remove the baterie box and the voice stuff and that gun in his chest.. It should give me some room to play with.

Love the pictures and I will consider that toe mod!

4. LizardbotHero

LizardbotHero Arial Reconnaissance

Ebay:
    How did you articulate the toes? Looks great!

5. LTprime98

LTprime98 Well-Known Member

Off topic but if your going scale wise with HA why don't you get the M01 OP and the kubianbao Hound?

6. erwinsims

I will in time, however Ironhide is one of my favourites so he needs to be there as well.

I just got my leader Ironhide a couple of days back and had some time to take a look. I think that with removal of the baterypack and the gatlinggun in his chest I can free up a LOT of space in there.
    Maybe with a mid-section hinge like on my junker-Sideswipe I might be able to fit it all together in Topkick mode but without the kibble.

I made some measurements today and he has at the "deepest" point 28 mm (over an inch) of kibble UNDER the car..
    without baterybox I think his chest can be tucked in 14 mm leaving a rough 4-5 mm under the car, wich I would find acceptable

I have 2 junker ironhide voyagers and I will find out what parts I can use of those..

this might become a build-tread ;-)

7. erwinsims

[​IMG]

This is what I named the "kibble-line" all protruding items need to get a way to be tucked in to somewhere around (preferably above) the red line.
    I figured out that by removing the battery-box, I can raise his chest above the kibble-line without issue, need to check trough if that would hinder transformation trough.
    However if it would work it would also solve his front wheels witch IMO hang to low to be move-accurate.

[​IMG]

This shows the batery-box witch I intend to remove (everything within the red line. The items lined in blue are needed for transformation and probably need to stay there and will therefore be intergrated with the chest-piece.

I am still trying to figure out a way to reproportion/ rework his legs so they can be tugged in above the kibble-line.. once I have that figured out, I probably will be getting Sentinal-Prime on his ass and cut him up
    However I want him to survive and become a leaner car AND a better Ironhide

Like I said, the goal is to make him perfect in both modes.

8. erwinsims

Just curious Hank, If I remove the baterybox, the window and backpack could be tucked in more tightly I reckon, would this also work with your mod?

9. big hank

News Credits:
    Hello Erwinsims, l am not sure how it would happen yet. I will take your plan and look over my Ironhide and see what can be done. As a possible aide to your kibble free altmode goal, perhaps fashioning a running board/side step? Might help hide visible bot parts.......

• Like Like x 1
  10. erwinsims

Thanks for the help in advance, My idea would be to punt the windscreen with the roof against the baterybox and glue the hinge to the windows (and black them out I guess) and fold the arm kibble in the hollow area that remains. Also I believe that I could "dent"the thick backspine to make the window sit more flush against his backplate, and in that way I believe I could give him a slimmer profile.
    I have some ideas now and will start disassembling him today to see how his "inner workings" are. There is some unused space between his hips and elbows to, so I guess there will be ample room to stow things if I can find a way to keep him transformable while using that space.

A runningboard would be an option if all fails, He didn't have them in the movie so I don't want them on this model either.

11. erwinsims

I have removed his gut-gun, battery box, wires and electronics and I have started on de-kibble him and made a start on a mod for his backpack..
    here is a picture of the stuff I took out (minus batteries)
    [​IMG]

removing the battery box and gut-gun gave me almost 3 cm (more than an inch) of space in his belly! I can not understand why they added such useless toys to him (the gut-gun wasn't even in the movie, so why add it?
    [​IMG]

When I looked at the future backpack and the window, I noticed I could hollow out his spine (that holds his mouth-piece handle) and fit the windscreen more flush against his back without that spine (saves 1 cm)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

This saves a huge deal under the body already..
    [​IMG]

I am working on the leggs and got a Junker Ironhide voyager for cheap.. This one will give me some parts and hinges etc to help me with the leggs and such..
    I will keep you posted !

[​IMG]

12. LizardbotHero

LizardbotHero Arial Reconnaissance

Ebay:
    I'm interested to see how this turns out! :popcorn 

13. erwinsims

Thanks Lizardbothero.. I am a bit of a weirdo cutting up a good ironhide I know, but it is for the best.

I cut up his arms yesterday and started with the body panels, they are now connected to the side windows/windscreen/roof and seem ok this way, they add a bit more difficulty to transformation but it is worth the effort IMO
    Since the windshield now goes deeper into his back, the backpack is kinda ok-ish.. I need to figure out some things with the front bumper wich now will be visible behind his head a bit.

Today I will think about his torso a bit more and I need to figure a way out of removing his feet from the truckbed-bedkover-tailgate part so I can find a way to alter his leg transformation before cutting in there.
    I am thinking of finding a way to build a movable waist for him so I can raise his legs above his elbows when in car-mode so I can put his legs in higher to reduce kibble and add the bonus of more movement for posing him.
    these pictures show his new backpack and also his torso wich has been reduced in bulk/height by 8 mm. I am thinking of adding a movable hinge to his chetsplate to put it in even higher (still need 4-5 mm to raise it above the kibble-line)

I hope you guys can see what is going on since he is a black on black vehicle.. might be hard to spot what is going on.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I will also put his head on a balljoint to improve movement ofcourse..

And improving the vehicle mode one step at the time! he starts to look like Ironhide without the we-just-add-a-robot-under-the-car-and-hope-noone-will-notice-it-is-there look..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. erwinsims

I have taken a proper look at his legs and especially his feet and how it all compacts (or lacks compacting options to be more specific..
    I have a junker Bumblebee laying around (human alliance) and two more HA-bee's on their way (mine is the stealthforce one, with blue windows and I really want the yellow one, a second hand and I have some ideas on how to improve that model as well but that needs to have a tread of it's own) and Will spend some time thinking how those part could be incorporated into Ironhide.. I like how compact it is and I guess the possibility to add more options to include the car-body onto the legs itself will greatly add options.

I will get back to you guys once I figure things out.

15. big hank

News Credits:
    You're doing great man! Motivating me to get back to work on mine!

16. erwinsims

Thank you! and please do.. it has some serious potential and if more people start modding him, we can learn from each others great ideas and mistakes..
    I have some ideas on how to do his legs and I might incorporate from a HA-bumblebee's the legs, waist and spine as soon as I have the yellow ones here from the UK
    (I noticed that the normal yellow bee has mostly grey robot parts while my "shadow"bee is mostly yellow witch I am going to incorporate to make the yellow one as yellow as possible before modding and paint.. therefore I have to wait for the yellow ones to use the grey parts they have to incorporate into Ironhide) basically I would use the legs and feet from bee and have the feet hang under as they do in the camaro but I will use Ironhide's feet and find a way to hang it in tighter in alt-mode.. I might even incorporate your feetmod Hank, since it does look 10 times better than his standard feet.

17. big hank

News Credits:
    If that's the case l think l will take step by step pix as l do the toes so anyone can follow along. I believe aside from some thick styrene sheet stock, l used one deluxe scorponok leg and one Gundam ball joint socket. Hinge pins were made from #18 wire nails and l cut off and reused Ironhide's toes. Used a piece of thread as a friction saw to cut them out cleanly and presicely

18. erwinsims

That sounds like a plan!
    I guess I should take more pictures of all these mods as well.. I will start snapping away, sometimes I forget in the heat of the moment.

On a positive note however..his altmode is tight and fits together so nicely.. it is by far the cleanest of the movieseries, panellines
    Look great and no gaps that stand out.. if he is done he fits in with the HA series quite well.

19. big hank

News Credits:
    Agreed. I have to say l like the extra "compactness" your battery box/gut gun removal mod does for the folding of the backpack. However l may hang onto the gut gut gimmick on mine.

20. big hank

News Credits:
    I also think ball jointing the neck is an easy way to add more dynamic posing to him. I had the parts on hand to double ball joint mine and it adds a ton of character to the posability.

Note the small silver circle under his chin, this is a #18 wire nail head imbedded, with a corresponding 2mm magnet in his battle mask for easy on off magnetic battle mask action, lol.
    Screenshot_2017-08-27-20-52-49-1.png
    Screenshot_2017-08-27-20-52-55-1.png

• Like Like x 1