Leader Class Bumblebee vs. Battle Ops Bumblebee

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by areaseven, Jun 19, 2011.

?

Which is the superior giant-sized Bumblebee?

1. Leader Class Bumblebee (Dark of the Moon)

46 vote(s)
    42.2%
  2. Battle Ops Bumblebee (Hunt for the Decepticons/Masterpiece)

63 vote(s)
    57.8%
  1. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Of the two giant-sized movie Bumblebees (not including the 2007/2009 "Ultimate" Bumblebee, because it's a complete POS), which is the best - Dark of the Moon Leader Class Bumblebee or Hunt for the Decepticons Battle Ops Bumblebee?

2. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I think both have their pros and cons, but the alt mode of the leader class BEE seals the deal for me. Very slick, compact, and pleasing on the eyes.

3. GAUGE

GAUGE In Art, Nothing Is Impossible.

News Credits:
    I prefer Battle Ops BB.

Styrofoam(DOTM Leader) BB feels too light, cheap, and brittle when I see him in box.

Though I may get him once he goes on sale, I'm in absolutely no rush to be honest.

4. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    I'd rather get DOTM. No electronic gimmicks on the figure to ruin it.

5. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Ive got both.

Leader feels suspiciously like something that started.as a voyager and
    Had a malibu stacey hat kicked in.

6. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I like the paint or color choice on Leader better, as well as the fact that most of the weapons are on the detachable backpack. Both decent figures though.

7. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not sure. US vanilla versions out of the box I'd probably go DOTM leader.

But the paint on the gold version and the MP version really bring the toy up a few notches. Also, it's the ONLY BB toy to ever have a working battle mask that doesn't look like a stupid gimmick when it's down.

BUT- leader BB has the better sculpt by a wide margin. If we get a MP version of this toy, then the only way it will come up short will be the battle mask. It's a very nice (if over priced) toy.

8. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    DOTM Leader. The other one's chest is too chunky and doesn't transform enough; a problem with a lot of larger BBs. Also the ROTF one has an uglier face.

9. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    I had the chance to see Leader, Battle OPS and Costco exclusive side by side in the same store...

The golden one was just stunning.

I don't know, but there's something wrong about leader BB. Too... bulky I guess? It really looks like a good toy, but his body mass seems a bit off.

10. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They both occupy different slots in my collection. I got Battle Ops on clearance, and was very impressed by him. It's not a toy where the electronic gimmicks get in the way, it's a toy you buy because of the electronic gimmicks, and he wears them all spectacularly.

On the other hand, Leader Bee is a more manageable figure to just transform and pose around. Plus that kickass Stealth Force mode.

11. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:
    I would have to go with Leader Bee,simply cause of 2 reasons and they are,he has no built in crap-o bells and whistles all that is in the mechtech part,and two is the price why pay $60 for BOBB when you can get leader bee for half that.

One more thing tho is I also love how you can make Leader Bee into his Stealth Force mode,I don't think you can with the other.As for all this talk about how leader bee feels cheap and substandard is crazy,I have him and he don't feel that way to me,altho I wish his chest plate weren't so low in car mode as it keeps him from rolling good,but that I can overlook the rest of him is AWESOME IMO.

12. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Have both, have not transformed the leader yet. Battle Ops has the better gimmicks, the electronics are very cool. Dig the rubber tires and heft too. Dig the leader's mechtech backpack(looks like an armor upgrade), leg articulation is weird as folks have stated before. Light piping for the head is done well too.

13. wildfly

News Credits:
    Is it that hard to get BOBB on deep discount these days?

There seems to be a broad perception that its a rehash of ultimate bb..really I dont believe that the toy is as limited as some have decided it is.

Id cite bobb v much im the dont knock it til you try it category.

14. wildfly

News Credits:
    Oh and leader bb has a carbon fiber detail.on the stripes which the real car does not.

Wtf?

15. Slip►Stream

Slip►Stream Seeker Clone

News Credits:
    Not a fan of leader BB's small head, makes him look a lot bulkier than he is.

16. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's my major issue with him. Head's about 10% too small, with a non-existent neck. Everything else about his body proportions are so good.

Second major issue is the tiny cannon arm. I understand why it isn't larger, but it just doesn't look right.

While I would normally complain about the lack of left wrist, I just plain don't understand how Bumblebee's wrists are supposed to work, anyways. That left arm is pretty darned CG accurate. Dude just has no obvious places to joint a wrist. Even that new model kit Bumblebee is like this.

17. Sam Witwicky

Sam Witwicky Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    DOTM leader class Bumblebee I love him for his new paint scheme but hate how he lacks body in the mid section unlike on Battle Ops he has all that body build in his mid section because of the battery pack. I'm not saying that they sound of added a battery pack to him just saying they could have really just used some of what was Battle Ops and added to DOTM leader Bumblebee.

18. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:

Hey miscreant,I wasn't talking about the secondary market for BOBB I actually mean he is still $60 at my nearby Target,no they have yet to mark him down as of 3 days ago when I was in there last,so my point being true as crap $30 verses $60.So again I would say Leader Bee wins "Hands Down" over BOBB.

Also I rather save $30 and get 2 or 3 extra figures than to spend that money for one since most of us don't have loads of Benjamin's to spend,but if you feel that BOBB is so worth that $30 extra dollars by all means buy it.

Last but not least I am not saying BOBB is a bad figure,but its about whether you want it or not for that price.

19. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i got my battle ops bumblebee for $15 on clearance so i am biased, i really like that toy!

20. wildfly

News Credits:
    I'd convinced myself that just about every retailer in the U.S. had it on deep discount by now.

If i were in a position where i HAD to pay full retail for either...BOBB would win.
    Both toys have their demerits, i just think that the Leader's are rather more pronounced.