Lazer beam eyes , weapons ,body parts that light up on transformers ?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by coppertop5150, Feb 15, 2011.

1. coppertop5150

coppertop5150 Well-Known Member

I know back in the day lights were hard to put into toys and make them effective , we all saw this with things such as gobot command center clunky light up eyes with a 9volt battery

But times have changed .....

Why don't some of these new transformers have lazer beam pointing eyes , LED light up weapons and body parts . It can be done eazy with a watch battry and technology has changed to make the lights very small and cheap to install..

Would some of you like to see stuff like that ? and would you pay for it?

I would like to see a transformer with a push a button and the eyes shoot lazer pointers across the room on objects , the guns have light up tips that resemble gunfire, maybe led light up chest and various body parts

2. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

Other than ACTUAL laser pointers, which realistically you cannot give to a child without problems arising, everything you have mentioned has happened. The issue is design. For a toy robot to have a battery compartment, you lose things like articulation in the waist. Or you start having wear-down issues if you've got wires running through the arms, etc. Plus, in this particular instance, the robot mode has to come apart in spots so that it can transform. The only modern design I can think of that has light up features where there wasn't any articulation comprimise was Armada Unicron, and he was huge.

3. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Don't hold me to this but I think there's a specific reason why Hasbro no longer use button batteries in their figures. Not sure if it's because they're a choking hazard or seem to be more costly for parents to replace rather than the AAs.
    Or maybe I'm wrong ('cos I just remembered MP Grimlock - he has button batteries doesn't he? Perhaps he's different because he's more a collectors figure than a toy). I just vaguely remember reading something like that recently. But if that's the case then we're going to forever be stuck with larger batteries in figures with electronics. At least until a better, cheaper, less swallowy power source comes along.
    Maybe we should have Transformer figures with little solar panels on them, like on calculators.

4. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    personally i would not shed a tear if Hasbro stopped using electronics in its figures. especially if the costs from the electronic were used to \Improve the figure overt all.

5. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Let's have wind-up figures. Like those clockwork radios. Run them along the ground in car mode and the turning wheels power up the lights and sound. :p 

6. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

That is an AWESOME idea. They would have to be recessed a bit to minimize the potential for breakage. I wonder now about the kitbashing possibilities:p 

I forgot about the chocking hazzard aspect of the button cell batteries, a good point. However, they were used in Unicron, and Masterpiece Grimlock, so I don't think Hasbro is explicitly avoiding them.

7. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Yeah, I made my post above and then a few minutes later noticed the button battery cover on the MP Grimlock I have on my desk and went 'Dammit!' and had to add to my post. :p 

Unicron might now fall into collector territory too since the last one was so costly and the last normal retail one for kids was a while back now. But yeah, I could be totally wrong about it. I might have to go looking for where I could've read about them not being used anymore, at least on standard figures.

Do solar panels have glass fronts? That might be a problem on a kids toy.

8. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Kimber/Stormer Fanboy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I like the idea of mini solar panels on the figures. They could make the eyes glow (better than light piping that too often gets painted over) and light up the headlights in car mode if they turn into a car.

9. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Of course the only problem with solar powered lights is that they need light to light up. Take the figure into the dark to appreciate the glow and then they don't get any light energy. Unless they can somehow temporarily store a charge so they can light up when taken into the dark. But that kinda sounds like needing a... battery.
    Maybe we just need glow in the dark paint. Cheaper option.
    But little solar panels would be cool for sounds and moving motors. If they could generate enough power.

10. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sorry, but I'm in the "screw gimmicks" crowd. Sculpting and poseability are all I really care about

11. foxfan352

foxfan352 Well-Known Member

Laser pointers eyes are cool but kids will probably go blind for staring at them to long. I am pretty sure later we will start seeing more electronic tfs with more light gimmicks.

I remember finding these $.50 laser pointer It will be cool if a radicon maks custom laser beams.

12. coppertop5150

i was think for high end master piece transformers.

Ones with little LED lights for display

13. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Honestly, unless the gimmick is justifiable, I want LESS electronics in my figures. I know total eradication will not happen since kids love their little light up toys, but it can be a litteral headache at times (Transforming ROTF Prime and Supreme Mixmaster, for example).

Why? Transformers have never actually shot lasers from their eyes as far as I know. Not to mention that laser pointers aren't meant for kids, as the "laser" can irritate eyes.

Already done. Armada Jetfire's main engine gun flashes when the tailfin is pressed backwards, just to prove an example.

Those have been around since G1, I think, because Shockwave at least had electronics, and I KNOW Galvatron has some as well.

14. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I'd prefer light piping and good paint jobs, over light and sound gimmicks. I mean, light and sounds are fun, but I personally only use them a couple of times and then take the batteries out.

15. coppertop5150

i want my optimus to look like a christmas tree!

16. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i thought that those battery covers that require a screwdriver to open would be a decent deterrent from tykes choking on watch batteries.

personally, the laser pointer eyes idea borders on being a lawyer's wet dream. kid blinds another with one and, CHA-CHING! $$$$

the only gimmick i really wouldn't mind would be a simple solution to light piping.
    i have seen rumble_frenzy's projects (among others) that put in miniscule LED's for the eyes.
    i'd love a good LED set of eyes over sound chips or projectiles any day of the week.

17. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd take good engineering over electronics anyday. Apart from Animated (Leader) Bulkhead, I'm struggling to think of a toy where the electronics have actually been a benefit.

18. Fort Max

Fort Max Too many is never enough. Veteran

News Credits:
    They're cool when appropriate, if Hasbro had made a leader fallen with full body lighting achieved through fibre optics then that would have been entirely acceptable and cool as hell but they don't need to ram electronics into every figure or do it as a line wide gimmick.

19. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There are a few BW characters (namely Dinobot and, I believe, Terrorsaur) that would like a word with you :D . Of course, the whole eye irritation thing still stands.

Overall, I like electronics when they aren't overdone or annoying. That being said, though, there are very few TFs that I have where I would mind if their electronics stopped working (namely SWTF Death Star/Vader).

Of course, now I want a Dinobot toy with light up green eyes :lol .

20. kamuix

kamuix weeeeee

i'd agree with everyone that i rather have a nice well made figure rather than having the designer figure out what to knock out to put the electronics in. i mean they are nifty and all, but i hardly ever push the button to hear them. i bet they'd go great for the kids, but with good light piping, the kids can enjoy the parts that light up the same. the only time i actually mess with the electronics is to check if the battery is still good. other than that i usually take the batteries out to prevent leakage.