Lawsuits killing innovation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alucard77, May 9, 2012.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    So I was thinking about this when reading an article. To me, it seems like most established older business forgot how to innovate, and instead have turned their eye towards copywrite protection and lawsuits.

I work for one of the worlds largest research companies, and we are staying stagnent at this point. We piss money from our contracts, but are getting our asses beat by new companies that do research in the world of internet. Constantly we try to compete but we fail.

So you know what we do now. We sue. We have lawyers and copywrite enforcers that look at everything, and research if we did it first and if we can sue. As an employee, I am pushed to have ideas and products patented.

Basically, this is the newest revenue driving ploy by dinosaur companies that cannot innovate. So what happens is that innovation is actually killed. That small company who had a brilliant idea now gets smacked with a lawsuit and is expected to give 10% of revenues to us or close down. If they get sued by enough people, they obviously have 0 revenue.

I am not saying all innovation is killed, but I have seen my company crush a couple of brilliant companies and it just makes me sad, as those ideas were really great and are now gone. I am hoping something gets done, or we are all in trouble long term.

Let's not even get into Mergers and how those have got out of hand lately. That is doing the same thing. But that's a different post for a different time.

2. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

As completely true as all of that is (no matter how many apologists magically appear to claim the opposite), you're asking for trouble with these threads that can turn political. People who actually have ideas or do the work in this country are expected to compete for scraps by useless jerks "entitled" to "earn" billions from stuff done decades ago by somebody else or, failing that, suckling at the teat of the litigation industry. It makes me want to vomit.

3. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Well, the tax one actually stayed on topic. This one can as well I believe. Not sure how copywrite laws and stuff like that gets political, but I guess it can as it is laws.

I like these type of conversations, and I like it when they have to kept on topic and people don't make it political. So it forces these things to stay on topic.

But I see what you mean.

4. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

It gets political because copyright and patents have been warped to the degree that they can be wielded as weapons against competitors instead of acting as the protective shield for innovators that they were supposed to be. I work in software development and the kind of idiocy going on there these days is truly frightening. Pretty soon the problem facing hobbyists isn't going to be funding or marketing but a mile-long line of trolls with a cudgel in one hand and a 50-page licensing agreement in the other.

5. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Anyone ever tell you that you should be a writer? That was very eloquent.