Lawnmower Repair!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tfgraveyard, May 2, 2006.

1. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    Hey all,
    I've been trying for days to get my lawnmower started. Anyone know anything about lawnmower repair? It's a craftsman lawnmower, Ez start, 5.5 horse engine. I changed the plug, new airfilter, new gas, new oil. I've totally dismantled the intake and carb, and cleaned them. I've drained the gas tank and cleaned that also. I've checked the spark, and it's nice and strong. I can pull and pull, and it won't start. If I prime it, it'll start for a few seconds and then quit. The more I push the primer bulb, the longer it'll run(most has been 2 or 3 seconds). Also, if I tip it(on it's side, forward, back, etc), and then put it down, and try to start it, it'll start for a few seconds. There is an emergency shut off on the handlebar(grounds out the coil to shut off the mower), and I disconnected that, thinking it might not be opening all the way. It still wouldn't start/stay running.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Sounds like there's something clogged or stuck in the carb, possibly the floater or needle valve attached to it.

That's what happened to mine last year after winter, almost exactly how you describe it. It turned out the needle valve was frozen in place.

3. Tfgraveyard

News Credits:
    Heh, you were right. :)  I got brave, and dismantled the carb. I found lots of sediment in the bottom, and some plugged jets. Now she works great. :) 

4. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    God, it feels good to be right.

Glad you got it going.

5. Tfgraveyard

News Credits:
    So am I. I was in danger of losing the kids in the backyard, the grass was so tall..............

6. CrackerBoy

CrackerBoy SeƱor Member TFW2005 Supporter

if you changed the plugs did you gap the new ones?

7. AlphaPrime

AlphaPrime Neo Autobot Commander

I coulda told ya to check the carb also hehehe, i've been watching my dad work on lawnmowers when ever someone asks him to*well i watch him work on cars and motorbikes also heh*he's a disel mechanic but he knows how to work on pretty much any type of older things*

Thing i like doing when ever he works on something? check to see if they are fireing, i always hold the plug or plug wire on mowers or bikes to see if they are fireing :p 

8. Tfgraveyard

News Credits:
    Yes, I gapped the new plug. :) 

I know the basics of lawnmower repair, but have never had to do anything with the carb before. So, it was a learning expirence. :)