Launcher won't hold missile

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Soundblaster1, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I recently bought a something from someone on the boards (I figure it isn't his fault, so I don't want to mention anything that will potentially tarnish anyone's reputation) but I will mention what mold I'm referring to because of the uniqueness of the launcher.

It's the BW Tarantulas/Blackarachnia mold, and the launcher won't hold any of the missiles for any length of time. Missile goes in, missile fires. The triggers look fine (the top one and the bottom one) and I'm not seeing anything inside the launcher that would prevent it from holding the missile (the "tooth" is still very much on the trigger).

Is there any way to fix it and still preserve the spring-loaded qualities of the missile launcher, or am I SOL?

2. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    Do you see the trigger engage as you push the missile in?

3. stepsongrapes

stepsongrapes Well-Known Member

A spring-loaded missile launcher isn't that complicated of a thing. There really can only be a few possibilities:

1) the trigger: you say the "tooth" is still there. Does it look worn/broken? Does the trigger engage by moving up and then back down when a missile is inserted, as LCDR asked?

2) the missiles: are you sure you have the right ones? Check some online pictures. Are the notches/brackets where the trigger engages in good shape?

3) the spring: wrong spring/replacement spring might be too long or too strong. Again, as LCDR asked, is the trigger engaging when you insert it?

Finally, send some pictures if the problem persists. Ideally, disassembled trigger and the missiles.

4. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the spring is weakened. it takes a lot of force to lock the missiles in, and that's heavily dependent on the strength of the spring, happens over time if the missiles/fists, etc are left in the launchers. the spring pushes back on the flat downward side of the trigger. if there isn't enough force, the flat side doesn't stay back, resulting in the misfires

5. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    Brr-icy's probably got it.

Also, is the missile itself worn down?

6. Soundblaster1

News Credits:
    1) the trigger: you say the "tooth" is still there. Does it look worn/broken? Does the trigger engage by moving up and then back down when a missile is inserted, as LCDR asked?
    Trigger engages, "tooth" looks fine
    2) the missiles: are you sure you have the right ones? Check some online pictures. Are the notches/brackets where the trigger engages in good shape?
    They're the correct missiles and they look fine.

3) the spring: wrong spring/replacement spring might be too long or too strong. Again, as LCDR asked, is the trigger engaging when you insert it?
    This is the 3rd time I've had this mold and the first time I've had an issue. The spring looks fine and I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary.

I'd love to take it apart, but it's glued together and I don't feel like breaking it.

I've been doing this for years. I certainly didn't say "Spring-loaded missile launchers are too complicated for me to figure out". This is the second time I've ever seen the problem (I've had hundreds of figures with spring loaded missile launchers, and I've only been posting here since 2004 so I'd at least be clued in if this were common and/or anyone cared), and I'm yet to figure out a suitable solution.

7. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i had to take apart my g1 trailbreaker because of it, and g2 jazz's launcher, only thing i could do is replace the spring, not sure what to do when the launcher is glued, maybe the heat up the glue trick?

8. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    post a clear video of the issue from different angles.

9. Soundblaster1

News Credits:
    Or I could take the launcher apart, squeeze the spring, and apparently fix the problem. Points to brr-icy and my needle-nose pliers for being useful.

10. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That is funny, I just got my collection back up out of boxes after about 5 months in storage, my transtulas is doing the exact same thing.

Before I stored it, everything worked without issue, I tested it before packing and didn't store the missile, that is attached via string to the character, in the character. I left it out.

when I went to put the figure back up on the shelf this weekend, the missile wouldn't lock unless I push the locking mech down, then as soon as I let go, it fires.

11. Soundblaster1

News Credits:
    Had the figure hanging from the grappling missile while I was away for the weekend. Damn thing won't hold the missile now that I'm back, and my attempts to fix it have made it worse. Even tried a completely new spring.

12. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

i just found out my classics dinobot's missile doesn't lock in the launcher (anymore?) no big loss, the weapon/missile was stupid looking anyway.

13. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I had a missile from HFTD Tomahawk that wouldn't stay in palace. So I ended using super glue on that side, as I really didn't use that feature much.

14. levandowski

levandowski Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I've had this problem with my bw tarantulas

15. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

any one notice this problem on the 10th anniversary tarrantulas? (thinking about getting one)

16. Soundblaster1

News Credits:
    The 10th Tarantulas is my offending figure.