Last Stand of the Wreckers #1 Preview

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Dys, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Well said, Overlord is bad ass but Max has pretty much the same skills aside from dimension hopping and his stats are way higher. I'm really hopping this is just set up for max coming back in a big way.

2. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    I'd agree, but only if that's supposed to be the climax of the issue (or the mini-series). As I gather from the 5 pages, Fortress Maximus and Overlord's confrontation isn't supposed to be the big climax, but only setup.

It could have been worse ... at least there's a panel clearly showing Fortress Maximus badly damaged. All the setup could've been presented in writing, in the inside cover, a la Star Wars's scroll of text. :) 

Great idea. I like.

-airfox

3. samtastic

samtastic Herald of Wheelie

Well, I just got it, read and liked it alot. Great comic, can't wait for the rest!

4. King Henrik

King Henrik Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    i just got the full issue too, most satisfying transformer comic i've read in months! keep up the great work nick! also can we please have an impactor figure now(and a new kup)?

5. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Yeah, I'd like to see that stuff. It sounds a lot like Sixshot, in that regard... who was a S.T.A.G. (Single Transformer Attack Group or something like that).

I have to say, the "dimension hopping" power that has been mentioned sounds like it may be wishful thinking. Judging from the hyperbolic but awkward wording of the profile, I think that just means that he can "go anywhere", high or low.

Overlord's low stats are also kind of odd... makes him seem like a big brute, rather than a resourceful evil leader type. Amusingly, Skyquake's Spec ability scores are much better across the board than Overlord's. He should have kicked Overlord's ass in that altercation! :D 

Even then... most superheroes only have one costume. However, even when they have more than one, I've seen many cases when they appear to switch costumes back and forth on the same day as you follow events from one issue to the next. :) 

We don't see much of the Garrus-9 facility in the images, but it does look somewhat like it could be based on Fort Max's base modes.

zmog

6. Argus

Argus Universal Dominator

Haven't had the time to go looking yet alas....

It might, but I kind of like him as a Dimension hopper.

Well we do have the US specs for him here that have substantially better stats.
    Powermaster_Gigatron.jpg - 2003 Transformers Tech Specs - TFW2005.COM

Of course the rest of the stuff is a mix and match of both previous incarnations...

7. SMOG

Yeah, those stats seem to fit him better. Was he the first character to get re-christened "Gigatron"?

Obviously, since Overlord's G1 status is sort of vague (along with many of those UK TFs) we can safely say that Roche is taking an interpretive approach to their characters.

I still say Fort Max should have put of more of a fight. :) 

zmog

8. Bogatan

Bogatan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow Fort Max is getting an awful lot of attention here. I honestly don't care if he reappears or not, it's a comic about the Wreckers thats what I'm reading it for. Clearly three years later some Autobots from the prison are still alive, if the story brings Max back fine if not he died in the line of duty, beaten by a stronger bot.

I would say this is an issue 1, if a new reader comes to it I don't think Verity or any unknown Transformer character would put them off. A story is unfolding you don't need to be told everything about everyone right away if at all. The new Wreckers don't know who she is why should the reader.

9. Argus

Argus Universal Dominator

afaik yes. Gigatron ended up as Megatron in the west and Overlord as Gigatron in the USA.

10. Maniaxe

Maniaxe Well-Known Member

Great issue! Loved every page. I especially like Overlord as the main villain, now let's see how Deathsaurus is doing int he IDW-verse!

Also, was that LUGNUT listening to Overlord speech in the top panel? If it is, Damn! This book got even better.

11. SMOG

Based on the cover to issue #2, that Lugnut sighting wasn't just a cameo... he might actually have a role in the series. :D 

Having read the whole first issue now, I'm pleased. I still have some misgivings here and there, though mainly that's about the art.

Nick Roche is a talented artist, but I think he has to keep himself very tightly controlled, otherwise the cartoonish distortions become a bit too distracting, and the compositions become cluttered and less coherent. He seems to need a good inker and colourist to really compliment his work.

I liked the clean, focused layouts in his Prowl short story... it seemed like he was in top form there. Wreckers has some touches of the stuff I didn't like in Maximum Dinobots.

To be fair, he has his work cut out for him... 3 of his main characters, Pyro, Guzzle and Ironfist, have very similar facial designs, and it's easy to get distracted by this. But I do like that Wreckers is carving out some character niches for these guys, who were never particularly well-developed (the Euro Tech Specs were pretty bad).

The "dirty dozen" vibe of Wreckers is shaping up nicely. So far, so good. :) 

zmog