Last Stand of the Wreckers #1 Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Tim Formas, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Veteran

News Credits:
  2. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Wait, WHAT?! HUH?!? VERITY? WHAT?!? BOOBS?! WHAT?!?

3. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Guzzle's ... compensating. :lol 

4. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Damn, they sure made Verity a lot more... revealing. Not that I got a problem with that or anything.

Even more reason to pick this up! :eek: 

5. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Verity? What purpose can she possibly serve? Wreckers don’t need her or any human for that matter. And what’s up with Kick off?

6. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    You're not AutobotWarrior from the IDW boards, are you? He made a comment almost exactly like this one, so I wondered.

7. Sideswipe80

News Credits:
    Oh snap I didn’t realize you were from the IDW boards as well. Yeah I am AutobotWarrior. Looking forward to the issue. I’m just not a fan of Verity. I wanna know how Springer and Kup got off of Earth.

8. Andersonh1

Ebay:
    Well, if I'm 'from' anywhere it's here, since this was the first Transformers site I signed up for, and I've been posting here a lot longer. But hey, good to see you over here as well. :thumb 

9. Sideswipe80

News Credits:
    Good to see you as well, love your reviews by the way. You think Fort Max is gone for good?

10. Andersonh1

Ebay:
    I hope not, and if he does I doubt it'll happen in the first issue. There's no telling who'll get killed off, but I'm hoping Fort Max lives through this.

11. cgibsonREX

cgibsonREX Knight of Cybertron

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    I know, I was like who is this chick - then I read it. Oh Snap I like her robo-arms!

12. The Barracuda

The Barracuda Retro, bitches.

Have to agree. Why they would have any human, let alone some teenaged/twenty-something runaway on their team is baffling, especially when flying into space, and into an incredibly hostile situation. She'd get stepped on quickly or would explode under the gun of a Decepticon ala the poor soldier in Rambo 4.

13. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Maybe she's like the cat in Alien. Give everything a little more creepiness and scale.

14. Sideswipe80

News Credits:
    How do Kup and Springer get off Earth?

15. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

Story:

Please excuse the language but holy shit this was awesome. I have to disagree slightly with Tim Formas-- I think the story is very serious given the gravity of the situation the Wreckers are walking into. The brutality and the sheer number of bots slagged (at least I'm assuming they're dead) in this book is astounding, and I was sad to see ForMax go. Almost more shocking was Kick-Off ripping the head off a Decepticon in front of Overlord to his approval. Heavy stuff indeed. All this is contrasted with the more light-hearted natuer of the Wreckers team as they accept more bots. However, not everything is peachy here as something seems to be up with Ironfist, and Springer has self doubts about leading bots fresh from the academy into battle. As Tim mentioned, the story is largely setup and gets us up to speed with what the Wreckers will be facing on Garrus-9. As I looked up some of the characters on TFwiki.net, it seems some of the Autobots have already appeared in previous IDW issues. Now if I could only finish my recap thread...
    Story 5/5-- great setup and great story-telling

Art:

I personally think this is some of Roche's best. For some reason, the toony aspects are jiving a bit better with me now compared to his Spotlight Hot Rod. He nicely captures the brutality and aptly uses different lighting to differentiate moods between Garrus-9 being overrun, Garrus-9 completely overrun, and Magnus's ship. The expressions are priceless as well-- FortMax is scared and quite pained before he's thrown to his former prisoners. Also done nicely are the expressions of the Wreckers on the ship-- Kup's face hearkens not so much back to the AHM series and Coda mini-issue, but reflects the more aged look of Spotlight Kup. Check out the second from the bottom panel on the page where Kup talks to Springer about impactor. Lastly, I want to point out the little green alien tattoo on Verity's right shoulder, probably done in memory of her friend Hunter. Waayyyy back in Infiltration, he had a shirt (I believe) of the same green alien head. Roche is pulling from different places and I'm loving it.
    Art: 5/5

Also as a fun tidbit, Roche included a little TechSpec for Rotorstorm at the end to give some backstory to the Wrecker Rookies. I think it's a good way to give the reader some background information while keeping it separate from the main story. I think we can expect more of these in the future.

IDW is rocking my world with the quality and quantity of output.

16. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I was all like "AWESOME" then I turn the page and I see that orphan hoe and I am like "WTF?! Did she just call Magnus Maggie?" :cry . I put the comic down and walked out of the store. No thank you.

17. DarthCrusher

DarthCrusher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dude, don't let it bug you. She's hardly the driving force of the story, she's grown quite a bit as a character, and the comic is FUCKING AWESOME. Trust me.

18. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I just really loathe the IDW humans. I do admit the rest of the comic was awesome as I mentioned above. I just don't understand why they had to involve her at all, hopefully to kill her off.

19. Sideswipe80

News Credits:
    Yeah I hate Verity, Hunter and Jimmy. But most of the time I block them out when reading. I still don’t know why she’s with the Wreckers. They don’t need her. She serves no purpose.

20. cgibsonREX

cgibsonREX Knight of Cybertron

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    I like every bit of this book, and the Autopedia bit in the back LOL!