Laserbeak and the Hasbro Continuity

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Shin-Gouki, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    So I just got Cybertron Soundwave and an interesting thought came to me. How in the HELL is Hasbro going to explain this one? If they are insisting that Armada/Energon/Cybertron are one big continuity then how in the HELL did Laserbeak go from being an ugly ass orange camcorder that was an Autobot to becoming a Minicon Bomb that is either a Decpticon or is being used by one.

Another thing I don't think that a figure should be called a Minicon without a PL Port, that was the whole thing behind Minicons.

2. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    They only call him a Minicon because kids relate to the little accessory figure being one, makes no sense.

As for the name thing, I'd say look at everyone named John or Greg or Mike, Transformers may be no different. That and Hasbro tends to ignore things like that after a year goes by without using the name, like Downshift in Energon despite being a Wheeljack homage. They're poised to do a proper Wheeljack now that the name's been idle for a year.

For Minicons... they never cared. Prowl was a Minicon then in the next line he was a deluxe Powerlinx figure. Inferno was Thrust's partner, then he was one of the first deluxe Autobots. Swindle was a Minicon in Armada AND Energon (Starscream and Prowl 2-pack using Mega-sized Armada molds) then a basic Decepticon in Cybertron. In the end Hasbro only regards them as name dumps.

3. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    During the whole Arm-ener-tron trilogy, Hasbro cared about reusing names for larger 'bots, but never much cared if a Minicon name was reused or not (even within the same line)

I guess you can consider both incarnations of Laserbeak as Minicons, even though neither technically is. They are both basically birdlike drones.

4. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They shall use the Doctor Who answer.

'I'll tell you later'

5. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why, the same way that Mirage went from being a yellow racing car to a Decepticon gunboat... or Prowl went from being a police car who turned into a gun into a formula one poilce car... or the way Dirt Boss turned from a Mini-Con into a Speed Planet native...

6. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    My theory is that Minicons are named by their owners, like pets. If I had a minicon, I'd name it Pickles.

7. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

He's a minicon because they're just simply cooler. I still dont see how being a bomb works....does he explode each time he's dropped?

8. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

He's the TF equivalent of Kenny.

9. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

But didnt the weapon based minicons get their ports remolded so the cybertron guys could hold them, or was that just the GF versions?

10. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

7:

No, it was just the GF versions. (Hellflame team? Hellfire team? Tarnation Gang? I can't remember.) My random guess at a reason is that Takara didn't want their created scarcity negated. :) 

11. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

"Laserbeak...Prepare for flight. Operation: Kamikaze"

12. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

In all honesty only the toys tech specs even infer that Cybertron is part of the same continuity; and even then it's only been on a few of those such as the Downshift bio or the Mini-Con Versus sets, there is no evidence whatsoever that Cybertron the cartoon is even a part of the Armada/Energon universe.
    And numerous contradictions in the dialogue that negate Hasbro's telling us that it was part of the trilogy to begin with... For one thing; Optimus Prime had never heard of another Autobot combining with a fellow unit prior to the advent of Leobreaker and his Savage Claw mode.

They apparently never heard of Earth before; as Lori, Cobi and Bud had to educate them on certain things like traffic laws, and the like. There is no mention of the search for Energon or the Omnicons/Terrorcons... Heck; the government agent searching for the Transformers all his life because of Evac seems to have not even been aware of the previous two series very large and obvious interractions between the two planet's species.

On the flip side Primus did mention the Autobots destroying Unicron, but again that doesn't necessarily mean he's refering to what happened in Energon.

I consider Cybertron to not be a part of the previous two incarnations; at least television show wise, the toys can tie into it all they want they aren't the primary continuity I'm exposed to and I really don't mind the nods to Armada/Energon.

As for the name thing; who cares? I mean Universe has three Prowls in one line, three Optimus Primes, three Ultra Magni and even guys that share the same name as the Micromaster Aerialbots. So yeah; it doesn't bother me, I don't dwell on it too much.

13. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Because they're giving us a G1 homage thats it. Can you imagine if they had've released Soundwave with the minicon named 'Silverbolt' or 'Terradive'? The fans bitch about nothing anyways, can you imagine what the backlash would be over that?

14. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    Maybe Transformers share names like Earthicans do.

"Prowl" is the Cybertronian version of "John" or something.

15. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I like that idea a lot.

16. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I always figured that's how it worked. A lot of the characters from the later series took on "biblical" names - from the G1 story bible.

17. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    The only problem there though is that in the same continuity having the 2 or more bots with the same name and no last names to differincate them is bound to get confusing.

Now the other question, was Armada Laserbeak a Trator or was he a Decpticon all along spying on the Autobots showing his true colors now.

18. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

Hell I think they had a closet full of laserbeaks in armada. If you recall Megatron killed him in one episode and yet he comes flying back to the kids once they get back to the base.

19. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

More like they will use the Ultra Magnus answer:

"I can't deal with that right now!"

20. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm sorry, wtf is an Earthican? I hope that's from something, cause if you forgot the word Earthling... :p