Las Vegas Makes It Illegal to Feed Homeless in Parks

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rodimus Prime, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

If the mods feel it's political, feel free to lock the thread. I just found this to be more screwed up than political.

2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    ...Wow.
    I think it should be made illegal for councils to act like assholes to people who need help.

3. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

Yeah! The absolute NERVE those Las Vegas officials have. I know that I personally enjoy crime, public drunkenness and litter in the parks around my home.

4. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Shooing the homeless away like pidgeons is not going to solve the problem. This ordinance is just another borderline-insane and evil law from New Sodom.

5. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

America is right know seriously fucked up. You have a high class, a low class, and the homeless...(some of which are Katrina victims) I manage a drug store in phoenix at night... and I threw out a homeless woman for shoplifting...felt bad, she was crazy, and probobly a katrina transplant...I hated doing it...but, the middle class is quickly dissolving..

Political content removed. -2005 Staff

6. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Thats messed up.

7. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

QFT! I couldn't have said it better.

8. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

This I believe, is quite possibly the single most revolting thing I've ever read.....and I'm a fan of H.P. Lovecraft.

The homeless are not some waste product, some undesirable element to be removed, they're human beings who just happen to be a little less lucky than the rest. America was NOT founded on the idea of one's treatment, rights, and freedoms being determined by social status.

In fact by descriminating against homeless, isn't this law unconstitutional, since it singles out one particular group of people based upon social status?

So what's next. Fat people can not eat at McDonalds?

oh mabey Black people shouldn't be allowed to eat fried chicken.

No mexicans at taco bell? Asians eating rice?

This is a HUGE step backward, initiated by the nuvou riche of Las Vegas, in their attempt to create a new American aristocracy.

Keep in mind I'm no communist here, but you can't go to the opposite end of the spectrum and create some sort of modern fudalism either.

By the way, kudos for pasting the story rather than just a link. But could you please provide a link so I can show this to some friends who aren't members here?

9. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

That's... pretty screwed up.

10. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ah yes, Mayor Oscar Goodman... Ex-lawyer for the Mafia... Shady as hell he is...

I guess all this is happening in north town... I don't recall seeing many homeless in Green Valley and Summerlin... But that's cuz those are the rich parts of town... Dunno if this affects all of Clark County or just the city of LV...

A similar situation happened here in the Bay Area too... The city of SF decided to go anti-homeless, which resulted in a huge exodus of the homeless to Berkeley...

11. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    You know EXACTLY what I mean.

12. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    I knew it: Las Vegas is full of assholes, bastards, and dickweeds.

I feel sorry for the homeless. If a homeless dude asks for food, I'd give the poor guy a sandwich.

13. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

That's ok. They can all go live in the hippy communes around there. Damn hippies....

14. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

I'm quite confident that once the homeless element in Las Vegas has been removed, the city will finally see an an end to crime, public drunkeness and litter.

15. honestgabe

honestgabe I

Seems to be that the spirit of the American dream is still alive and kicking in Sin City. Wouldn't suprise the good Doctor at all if he was still alive.

16. Dusty

Dusty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree. Feeding them like pigeons isn't going to solve anything either, though. The more people just feed these people without attempts at helping them get *real* help (like finding a job, temporary place to stay + mailbox, hospitals for medical or mental problems that would otherwise prevent them from working etc), the more the homeless people will line up for free handouts.

I live in a fairly decent neighborhood, but it's also downtown Seattle. 1 Block from me is a place where they feed homeless people, and they offer no other services other than free food. What it creates is bums who camp out waiting for their handout surrounding the building. This wouldn't be a problem if 80% of them weren't throwing trash everywhere, yelling, being drunken and disorderly, and sometimes even fighting.

Trust me...it's not fun. I love my apartment, I love my neighborhood, but I really wish there were more organizations that put money toward helping these people rather than just "keeping them alive". Because in their current state and current mindset, they see no reason to get back on their feet because they have assumed a "got nothing to lose" situation.

Yes, it's great caring for your fellow man to feed those who may die without food. But unfortunately there is a big difference between a homeless person and a BUM. And sadly, bums outnumber the homeless people like 20 to 1.

They need to all get back on their feet and become upstanding citizens. This is not the way to do it, but I don't think that just feeding them is a good thing either. ACTUAL help needs to happen.

-Dusty

17. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

But that's not the end objective.

The ordinance was a response to the complaints of residents in and around Las Vegas parks as well as a desire by the city to "clean up" the specific areas.

Anyhoo, for everybody up in arms, it should be noted that the ordinance does not prohibit giving the homeless money in parks.

18. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Next thing you know they'll pass a law making it illegal for the homeless to shit on the statues.

19. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    The best way to help the homeless is not to simply pass out food or money at a park. In fact, many social workers would call this harmful, since it lowers the incentive for folks to persue other help. A sandwich and a bottle of water are no substitute for a mental-health or chemical dependency screening. Legitimate social services agencies know this.

20. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Political content removed. -2005 Staff

Anyways, yeah, don't feed the homeless! They have teh rabies 'n such!:D  (Just reminded me of those "Don't Feed the Animals" signs at the zoo...)