laptops and glass

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alpha Prime, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Alpha Prime

Alpha Prime Ten Years Strong

How much glass goes into to a laptop computer?

I ask this b/c my skool was buying laptops for students enrolled in the "zoo school", another story for another time. Anywho, at an information meeting tonight, the speaker said that Dell told the school that the laptops are going to be late b/c cause of a glass shortage. Now, last time i checked, laptops have plastic screens. So could somebody tell me how much glass goes in to a laptop and/or has dell stopped making computers during the great glass shortage of '07?

2. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    DVD optics are going to be glass based, and those aren't just some window glass.

3. Skor

Skor I HATE U TRASH MONSTAAAR! TFW2005 Supporter

my anti-glare TFT is Glass, not plastic...

4. Alpha Prime

true. But dell is a big company, they should have plenty of this stuff ready to go.

& these are skool budget computers, btw. They used the grant money to build the new zoo school building.

5. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Any optical drive uses specialized glass for the laser lens. It's not like Dell computers are actually made with Dell parts. Dell buys their parts from 3rd party companies just like everyone else. If one of those manufacturers has a shortage, it's going to affect a lot of companies.

6. jagganathprime

jagganathprime Banned

not likely a problem... here in penang (where they assemble/manufacture lcd screens) there is a glut of third party optical dvd drives.... dell being a big co would normally divert resources to fill up quota of orders....
    lcd screens do have a glass layer.... very thin ones.... but that is not likely to cause problems either...
    my best guess is, they probably mixed up the specs of your order or misdirected the parts..... (there are floods in china too)

7. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    it doesnt work that way kid.

no matter how big you are, you still gotta go to glass suppliers to get glass, plastic suppliers to get plastic, etc. its called 'specialization'.

8. Alpha Prime

two great points i hadn't thought of.