Laptop vs Desktop

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by DaggersRage, Jan 20, 2009.

1. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Okay, so I'm going to be saving some money off to the side and then using my tax rebate to upgrade or get a new computer entirely. The specs on the computer I don't know what I want yet, but that's not the issue. I'm considering if I should just go for a laptop instead of upgrading my desktop PC.

I mostly use my PC for gaming, teehee. I'm back at school doing digital media and I'm surprised that some applications I was going to use for my project had no way of working on my current PC. I see my classmates using laptops, some where even used to work in class for their projects, which must be nice.

I really don't see myself much as a guy carrying around his computer all the time, sense I stay at home alot anyways, so would it be worth getting a new laptop or should I just stay desktop?

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Upgrading a laptop = pita

Get a gaming desktop and a notebook PC for class.

3. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Desktop, definitely. It sounds like you don't have a great need for mobility, and you're sure to get a lot more bang for your buck with a gaming/workstation PC.

4. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

i have both a desktop and a little acer netbook that i take to school. i have no use for a full sized laptop myself. it'd be more of a pain to bring around than anything. that'd probably be your best bet if you don't plan on using the laptop a lot when you're at home. it's definitely a convenient thing to have, but there's no point in spending a lot of cash if you aren't going to use it very often. a netbook +a few upgrades for your desktop isn't gonna cost much more than buying a decent full sized laptop as it is anyway, so that'd be the way i'd do it.

5. Julliant

Julliant This space for rent.

Just about everything's been said already. As Twin Twist posted, you can't change anything in a laptop except the RAM and HDD. You should spend your money upgrading your desktop, and if you really want get a decent laptop if you see a bargain. I'm using a laptop and it does come in handy for mobile internet connection and doing work.

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Question regarding Laptops, since we're on the subject.

Are Laptops durable enough to leave on during the day? I have mine on with the monitor off to stream some music and videos to my Iphone at work. I know with my desktop, it's not big deal, but are laptops made to endure long times being left on?

7. Julliant

There's the power saver mode, and you can switch off the display to conserve more energy. A number of other things you can do to further reduce energy consumption, and the average battery should last you up to 1.5 to 2 hours?

8. Maximus_Prime

Maximus_Prime Graphicon

News Credits:
    desktop no question

My real reason is I can type about 65/70 words a minute and I like typing on a keyboard and hate it on a labtop :p 

9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well I mean more, do laptops burnout if left on too long?

10. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

My laptop has been on and plugged in since i got it 6 months ago LOL.

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ok cool, hehehe, good to know. I haven't had a laptop in YEARS, and I have been using ORB to stream videos/music to my PS3 and Iphone.

12. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i believe its good practice to unplug laptops when the battery reaches 100%, i killed my old battery after leaving it plugged in all the time.

13. Julliant

Yeap. Most batteries these days are lithium-ion based and if overcharged, will reduce their lifespan and duration.

14. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Awwww, but I want to keep my LT on while I'm not home and the battery won't last that long.

15. Julliant

Why don't you take out the battery and let your laptop run on power?

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because I am the equivilant of a child when it comes to Laptop knowledge. Now that you mentioned that, I will try it. Thanks for that one.

17. Julliant

Don't worry I was one a few years back as well. When I learnt you could do that I went "oh............ I knew that :confused2 "

18. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's a nice lil' laptop, it's just that I never expected it to replace my desktop functions until I realized how much faster it is, so now I have it as my media server for my PS3 and my Iphone, which worried me because I know Desktops have larger cooling systems and such. I didn't want to 360 my lil laptop.

19. Julliant

Overcharging probably won't have any effects on your laptop but it'll be slow death for your battery, but if you're worried about overheating you can get a cooling pad.

20. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I had bad luck with my laptop I had several years ago (2 computers ago). The problem was with the ac jack. It was a metal prong that stuck in the slot. well something happened to it so it wouldn't charge. I had to use rubber band to hold the jack in the slot but even then it stopped working. Had to have it repaired. After that I just backed up all my files and got a desktop again and won't go back to a laptop for a long while.