laptop problem: Web pages don't load even if I'm connected to the internet

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by gil, Feb 9, 2010.

1. gil

gil Godmaster

So this is what happened in the last few days. The Norton on my Laptop was expired for a few months now, and someone told me I could get McAfee free through the University. I go and download that, and have Norton uninstalled.

That's the last major thing i did recently. And now I can't get web pages to load. I've tried a few web pages too. I tried both IE and FireFox, and both don't work. The computer thing on the bottom right hand corner of the screen says I'm connected and the signal strength is exelent. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting and still no web pages load.

I go on my girlfriend's laptop and it works fine. Web pages load fine. So, I go back to my laptop and try some system restore to a point before I installed McAfee and uninstalled Norton and it still don't work.

This all happens at my girlfriend's house, so I go to my house and try to connect to the internet there, and I have the same problem.

I also tried the winsock thing, and it don't work.

So, I need help. Thanks

Oh yeah, I have a HP Laptop with the 64 bit version of Vista.

2. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    What are your settings on your new firewall? Turn off your firewall and see what happens then.

3. gil

gil Godmaster

I checked the windows firewall, and it's off.

Since I did the system restore thing, I don't have McAfee, and I got an expired Norton. The only firewall I can find is the Windows one.